Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil

Whats the oil of choice for a 28 A

A quality oil with additives. Do not waste money on fancy oils. Do not change too often, a couple thousand miles or a couple of years.

Comment

Somewhere on the VFF are the results of a survey on what oil members use prefer/use. As usual I can not find this survey. Hopefully someone else can post the survey or a link to the survey.

The other thing you can do is do a search on oil, has been thoroughly discussed previously before, and usually creates a lot of opinions.
      Last edited by 1930 Closed Cab PU; 07-23-2020, 05:24 PM.

Comment

There are reams of info on this subject. Look in search.
        General consensus, multi-weight dispersant. [ 15-40 or 20-50]
        Change intervals, oil is fairly cheap. Originally Ford suggested 500 miles. Today with a clean engine I think 1000 is fine, or, every year.

Comment

Our motor oil tech thread w/survey.

https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...il-to-use-info
          3~ Tudor's & 1~ Coupe
          Henry Ford said,
          "It's all nuts and bolts"
          "Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible."

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Thanks very helpful

Comment

We have technical threads for just about any common thing in those 5 sub-forums. Glad that the oil thread helped out
              3~ Tudor's & 1~ Coupe
              Henry Ford said,
              "It's all nuts and bolts"
              "Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible."

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Grit Kid
                Oil change hints????
                by Grit Kid
                Because of the oil pan design and it holding oil in the baffles, when changing oil do you do anything special to try and get the oil out of those baffles?
                12-30-2021, 03:37 PM
              • rrich1
                Favorite oil for hand held oil can?
                by rrich1
                What oil do you use for a hand held oil can to lube the various parts on the model A? Also do you use an antique oiler or a new one? The ladder is more curiosity than anything....
                10-08-2019, 07:29 PM
              • bosticjb
                Oil
                by bosticjb
                What oil does everybodyuse in their A been told Valvoline ZR1 is good...
                02-18-2022, 03:23 PM
              • Jamey E
                Changing the tranny oil
                by Jamey E
                Does anybody do or suggest doing the kerosene flush when changing the oil in the transmission? We believe the car currently has the incorrect oil in it, & we are planning to use the 600W
                04-19-2020, 11:43 AM
              • EJR8402
                Type of Oil - Zinc additives - brands?
                by EJR8402
                I need to do an oil change on my '59 T-Bird with the 352 V8. I've done some research about the type of oil needed and it seems that these old flat tappet cammed engines should probably have oil with zinc additives.

The prior owner of the car just recommended plain old motor oil, 10W-30. I'm sure that's fine if it's barely driven, but I do want to get it out a bit.

So what...
                05-22-2021, 02:53 PM
              • Blown Gasket
                Oil change again and probably again
                by Blown Gasket
                I changed my oil today but did not pour any oil down the distributor hole as many claim they do. I have read, looked at pictures and diagrams but fail to understand the logic behind it. To me the oil would go around and down the shaft, over the pump and into the sump. Oil poured into the crankcase tube goes to the same place. If changing oil removes oil from the upper valve chamber so would letting...
                03-30-2021, 05:43 PM
              • Atlasboy
                Which Engine Oil to use
                by Atlasboy
                I have a 1931 Model A with an original engine, never out of the frame or rebuilt. What type and weight oil would be the best for this Car ?
                11-28-2018, 10:30 AM
              • Steve Plucker
                Compairing early Oil Level Indicators to later Oil Level Indicators for oil level
                by Steve Plucker
                This has to do with the two ORIGINAL Oil Level Indicators (OLI) (aka the Dip Stick) and just how much oil you have in your engine when checking.

I decided to compair the oil level marks when a known amount of oil is in the engine.

It is "somewhat" a known fact that when you drain the oil from the engine, there is about 1 pint (16 oz.), more or less, of oil left...
                11-27-2021, 07:52 PM
              • earlyfordguy
                Y-Block Maintenance
                by earlyfordguy
                I have a 312 Y-Block in my 56 Vicky. Manual says use 20W oil. Some folks here say to use Rotella Diesel Oil. Any suggestions on weight or oil to protect valves etc. Is diesel oil OK? Thanks for any insights....
                04-25-2019, 10:50 AM
              • canadian
                oil return.
                by canadian
                29 all stock engine, pulls dipstick cold engine ,oil level on F mark. engine running for 20 minutes while farting around with stuff. pull dipstick engine off ..oil level 1/4 inch on stick ... 1 hour later ... oil level 1/2 inch on stick . it took 2 hours for oil to return to F. I found out why just by coincidence , the oil return pipe was not hot to touch and I discovered that the lower cork gasket...
                04-16-2019, 11:41 AM
              Working...
              X