More on distributors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More on distributors

Which way is best, Original with Nurex, Model B, Mallory, or electronic. And there seems to me more than one model of Nurex. Automatic advance is the goal.

My choice is none of the above. I have had no problems with stock distributors. There is not a lot of lever moving anyway. I think Auto advance is overrated in the A.
    Last edited by Mike V. Florida; 10-01-2017, 12:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
      My choice is none of the above. I have had no problems with stock distributors. There is not a lot of lever moving anyway. I think Auto advance is overrated in the A.
      Agreed.. simply said Mike!
      Larry

Comment

https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...nu-rex-advance

I still use and advocate the use of the Nu-Rex centrifugal advance.
        You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

When you guys say not a whole lot of lever moving, explain this to a dummy. So far I have only changed the timing lever on startup. After startup I keep it all the way down. I played with it some yesterday while driving, mixture and timing. I get a little lugging while taking off from a stop going up a grade. Smooth's out after you get into the power band.

Comment

If you want automatic advance go for it. I don't know anything about them as I use a standard distributor. I have a stock engine and set the timing so when the lever is all the way down, full advanced, it's at 30* BTDC. If it is really working up a hill I will retard it slightly. Otherwise I leave the lever alone. I have never heard it ping.

Comment

Auto advance? Well that's just not sporting... But your car, your choice.

Comment

I always run the spark advance lever about 1/2 to a hair less, on both my cars.
                One has an HC head and the other is stock
                I have a good ear on listening to motors and when it's 3/4 to all the way advanced i can hear the pounding. Your base timing is the starting point and needs to be right on
                3 ~ Tudor's
                Henry Ford said
                "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

You gotta' learn how to use the spark lever properly!!!!!----It's NOT like that COOKER Infomercial, where you "JUST SET IT & FORGET IT"----
                  Bill W.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• slammin
                    Opinions on Nurex auto advance system
                    by slammin
                    Gentlemen, as I compile the "wish list" for my new 29 Tudor, the Nurex system is one thing I am considering. I know the purists feel this is an affront to Henry's creation, but I'm not building a fine points winner. I plan to drive the car for a while to get the feel of the Model A as it was designed. I would like feedback from those of you that have first hand experience with the Nurex...
                    09-27-2017, 01:16 PM
                  • vonheine
                    Distributor RPM, mechanical advance
                    by vonheine
                    In the late 1970s, my friends and I used to hotrod V8 engines. We used to modify the distributor power curves by changing the weights and springs so that the mechanical advance would meet our specifications. We had access to a distributor machine at the trade school from which we all graduated from to confirm the modified power curve. I want to build a simple mechanical advance mechanism for a standard...
                    06-09-2019, 07:11 AM
                  • DaWizard
                    Model B Distributor
                    by DaWizard
                    What will happen if I were to place a Model B distributor, or any other centrifugal advancing distributor atop a NuRex centrifugal advance unit?
                    10-07-2017, 09:31 PM
                  • Mitch
                    Nurex Advance
                    by Mitch
                    Okay so there is always chatter about how great the Nurex Advance is. I drive my cars with the lever around 9:00 or a little less. I can climb hills, idle, and just about drive on all terrains by leaving it alone. Of course when starting the car it needs to be in the up position. I think most feel they have to continuously be moving the darn lever in order to drive the car. Why should I buy one?
                    04-02-2018, 09:02 PM
                  • Poor Boy
                    Nu-Rex automatic timing advance
                    by Poor Boy
                    Good morning. I came across a Nu-Rex automatic timing advance . Does anyone have any experience or comments on using these? I printed off the instructions and they appear to be fairly straight forward. It states that there is ten degrees of advance for every thousand rpm, or thirty degrees at twenty eight hundred rpm. I was thinking of trying it on one of my engines, probably the B. How does...
                    07-24-2020, 06:32 AM
                  • DaWizard
                    Alternate Distributor
                    by DaWizard
                    Ok, a bit of background first.

As some of you know I have been an advocate for the NuRex centrifugal advance and have been using one for 2 years without issue. Well, after reading the threads here about the advance and needs of the HC heads, I decided I would search for an alternate centrifugal advance distributor.

See, the stock engine with the 4.2:1 compression heads are
                    02-14-2019, 03:57 PM
                  • DaWizard
                    Ok, sticking my neck out.
                    by DaWizard
                    Now, I know this has been discussed in reference to the FSI distributors and high compression heads, but I need to get just a bit more info on the stock distributor.

I now have in my possession a Snyders 6:1 high compression head and I think since I can't afford a Mitchell OD it will be the next step in the ever changing "Touring Tudor" named Wheezer.

As
                    12-09-2018, 11:27 PM
                  • BNCHIEF
                    Model a projects I did
                    by BNCHIEF
                    Here are some pics of some mods and projects I am doing for my model A. The first series of pics is for the the jig to drill the zipper distributor body to install a index pin. I will show these in a couple of posts. I made two plates one has the index pin hole drilled out so that I can check to make sure that I have drilled the hole correctly it is also used when doing the advance work.
                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 11 photos.
                    04-06-2018, 08:15 AM
                  • carolinamudwalker
                    Engine noise
                    by carolinamudwalker
                    For you real mechanics, what is the rattling, marbles sound that I am getting when climbing long steep hills? I am very reluctant to down shift to second because it is all over until rounding the crest and starting down. I know that I am lugging by keeping the car in 3rd for as long as possible and it rattles. But running at 30mph in second it sounds like a bunch of marbles. AER touring engine...
                    05-27-2019, 03:57 PM
                  • Captndan
                    Model B
                    by Captndan
                    Is it worth it to put a Model B distributer in a Model A touring engine?
                    04-03-2018, 10:29 AM
                  Working...
                  X