Toe-in measurement tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toe-in measurement tool

I searched the forum as best I could and did not see one of these in the the alignment posts. Has anyone tried one of these?

​​​​​​​https://www.truckid.com/specialty-pr...mpn-99374.html

YES, our club purchased one of these and they work very good on the Model A. The only thing they don't tell you in the instructions is to place it inboard on the tire far enough so when you roll the car forward, the cross bar doesn't drag on the ground.

To clarify that, when you set up the cross piece you need to think about the height the drop in the cross bar is when rolling the tire forward. If you place the pointy piece on the edge of the tread it will bang on the ground when you roll the tire, so place the point farther inboard on the sidewall.
    You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

They show an example of a Model Aer using this on Utube. Check it out!

Comment

Here is the brand that many buy. I had one but sold it, because we have an aligner. It is discussed here on different threads. Search Dubie, Duby,

http://toolaid.com/product/61500
        3~ Tudor's & 1~ Coupe
        Henry Ford said,
        "It's all nuts and bolts"
        "Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible."

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Marco has instructions for a similar tool used by Ford on his site. https://web.archive.org/web/20140824...shop/align.htm

Comment

The original era Duby had less offset so there was good ground clearance from the ground when you rolled the car forward.

Follow the instructions detailed in the Service Bulletins. When used correctly it will position the spindles correctly regardless of how much wobble is inherently present in the wheels.

Comment

That'll work fine !

Comment

That's what I have too work great, Bought mine at NAPA years ago.

Comment

Thanks guys! Very helpful. I'm going to order today.

Comment

Suspect it is necessary to ensure rims/tires rotate completely true before using the tool. I did the old masking-tape-and-pen-line-around-the-tire routine on my front end and was surprised how untrue the rotating assembly was.

Comment

Originally posted by Mulletwagon View Post
                      Suspect it is necessary to ensure rims/tires rotate completely true before using the tool. I did the old masking-tape-and-pen-line-around-the-tire routine on my front end and was surprised how untrue the rotating assembly was.
                      Nope, that's he beauty of this gauge they don't have to be true because you take the measurement from the same place on the tire.

Comment

Here is my original Duby alignment bar. Made in Dorchester, Mass.
                        duby1.jpg

duby2.jpg
                        It's Nice To Be Important, But It's More Important To Be Nice.

Comment

gdaquilina Got my Toe-In tool today! Can't wait to see how tight she's got her legs together. Or God forbid how far she's got them apart! Mine says IDEAL but don't say DUBY.
                          Go VFF! and Remain Jeff!

Comment

After reading this thread I decided to order one of these from Tooltopia. They are out of stock but I called and was able to place an order for delivery sometime in September. Today I visited a fellow club member to purchase some spare parts and saw he had a old Ideal wheel alignment gage just like the one Boston Bruce posted the pictures. I wouldn't have known what it was if I hadn't read this thread. Bought it for $30 hoping I can cancel my order with Tooltopia and save some money.

Comment

I have been following this thread too. I ordered and today received mine which is IDEAL from Specialty Products Company.

I noticed that the scale on the gauge is marked off with one inch being the outer limit for both toe in and toe out. However, when I put a ruler up to the gauge, the 1" mark on the gauge is about 3/4" according to my tape measure. Is this on purpose? Is this the way the original Duby is made?

Comment

The gauge is calibrated to represent the toe-in/toe-out at the hub so will not be true to a ruler measurement.

Comment

Originally posted by gdaquilina View Post
                                  The gauge is calibrated to represent the toe-in/toe-out at the hub so will not be true to a ruler measurement.
                                  Thank you. That is what I was suspecting. So....That means that all along if I had been using an expandable curtain rod and measuring from the same points on the tires, but with a ruler, then I have been measuring wrong!

Comment

Originally posted by Bill G View Post
                                    Thank you. That is what I was suspecting. So....That means that all along if I had been using an expandable curtain rod and measuring from the same points on the tires, but with a ruler, then I have been measuring wrong!
                                    That's how I had been doing mine and it was 1/16 off.

Comment

My original wasn't made that way.

Comment

Well, I'll be danged. What I can do is measure with a ruler the 1/16" point on the gauge and mark it with a sharpie and shoot for that as a target. As a practical matter if my gauge measures 3/4" for every real inch, then .75 of 1/16 inch is probably within the tolerance of this method of measurement. As it is, I was way off with the curtain rod method.

Update: This new tool is one heck of a lot easier than the curtain rod, and what's more, once set, it keeps measuring the same when I go back and check it.
                                        Last edited by Bill G; 07-22-2020, 11:12 PM.

Comment

Bill G After reading what you said I decided to post a pic to show. It can be easily accounted for but it’s a shame they couldn’t get it right.
                                          Go VFF! and Remain Jeff!

Comment

Originally posted by Jedmundcars View Post
                                            Bill G After reading what you said I decided to post a pic to show. It can be easily accounted for but it’s a shame they couldn’t get it right.
                                            Hey Jimbo, the pics didn't appear.
                                            Twiss Collector Car Parts

Comment

Sorry, I don't know what happened. Try this one.
                                              Toe-In.jpg
                                              Attached Files
                                              Go VFF! and Remain Jeff!

Comment

HaHaHa I got it that time. 4 fold. Gotta get Ed to work on my computer.
                                                Go VFF! and Remain Jeff!

Comment

I watched the YouTube video on how to use the gauge. I want a gauge now. It’s amazing the things you can learn to do on YouTube. You just got to be careful to filter the BS from the good stuff.

Also its great the things I have learned from this board. I sure enjoy joy this board!!!

Comment