Mikes special on front brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mikes special on front brakes

This doesn't seem like a bad deal with no core charge this week?
    Mike’s “A” Ford-able Parts is your best source for Model A Ford Parts. We have the most parts available for sale online.

Had a little trouble with the link. I don't need brakes yet, just thinking ahead.

Comment

I wonder if the shoes are arced
      3 ~ Tudor's
      Henry Ford said
      "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• Rowdy
        Rowdy commented
        Editing a comment
        More than likely not as that is a seperate service at most places. Rod

Don't you need the exact drum ID to grind them right?

Comment

If the drums are turned correctly, the shoes only have to be arced, centered, and adjusted. JMO
        Paul in CT

Comment

• Mitch
          Mitch commented
          Editing a comment
          I do pretty much what Paul mentioned
          True up the drums and clean up the linings so the entire surface contacts the drums. Then as long as the shoes are centered on the car everything works as it should
          I have heard of other methods but this works for me in the real world

You can't really arc the shoes properly without having the shoe turned drum there together physically for fit. Just that simple.
        He must have a lot of backing plates available.......

I do lots of brake work and I can't imagine giving away backing plates.
        Larry Shepard

Comment

• Rowdy
          Rowdy commented
          Editing a comment
          Must have gotten a bunch dirt cheap. I have a good pile of them, but not cheap. Have not sold any yet. Probably will sell most of the ones with the later style of adjustment cone. Rod

• dmdeaton
          dmdeaton commented
          Editing a comment
          That was my question, how can you arc the shoes without the drums? I would like to know the procedure they use when they do this. I am new to Model A's but not to mechanics. I would like to see the machine that is used to arc the shoes, and how it sets up. What is the tolerance when they grind the material?

dmdeaton
        #6.2
        dmdeaton commented
        Today, 08:19 PM
        That was my question, how can you arc the shoes without the drums? I would like to know the procedure they use when they do this. I am new to Model A's but not to mechanics. I would like to see the machine that is used to arc the shoes, and how it sets up. What is the tolerance when they grind the material?

It's just a circle. Once the drums are trued you measure the "circles" diameter that you made. Now using any one of a variety of machines you match diameter. There is a butt load of youtube videos on how to do it. does not have to be super accurate as the shoes will wear to the exact size.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
          dmdeaton
          #6.2
          dmdeaton commented
          Today, 08:19 PM

It's just a circle. Once the drums are trued you measure the "circles" diameter that you made. Now using any one of a variety of machines you match diameter. There is a butt load of youtube videos on how to do it. does not have to be super accurate as the shoes will wear to the exact size.

That's why I don't get too excited about arcing the shoes.
          I brake easy at all times when possible, and especially during the first 1000 miles break-in period.
          I haven't arced shoes since the 80's.
          Years ago I read in the MOTOR"S MANUAL that easy braking during the break-in period is needed to avoid putting grooves in the drums.

Comment

We never arc the shoes in my Dads garage. My Dad told the customers to take it easy on the brakes for awhile. Even if you arc them they are not going to fit 100 %

Comment

I never arced shoes on anything over the years. I am not talking Model A, but everything I have ever worked on with shoes. Not saying its right or wrong, I was never taught to have it done.

Comment

I find that after relining or purchasing relined brake shoes the lining thickness is all over the place. Giving them a quick cut gives the lining more surface area to contact the drum from the get go. This is not necessary on modern car drum brake shoes since they are manufactured with a more even friction surface. I have also done Model A brakes without skimming the shoes and there is a difference in stopping ability until they seat in.
                As mentioned i always true the drums also

These are my personal experiences
                3 ~ Tudor's
                Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• dmdeaton
                  dmdeaton commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I forgot we are talking about relined shoes

yes probably most of the folks who put brake on don't arc or fit the shoes to the drums.. they just install them. I do comphrensive brake jobs and if you drove a car after my brake job and one that wasn't done with the shoes fit and arced you would definitely know the difference that they are seating and stopping on a dime. Of course I have the machine and even after arcing them fit them to the drums and check them with a feeler gauge to see that they fit the drum well.
                Then you have to install them on the backing plates and check the shoe centering. No this isn't brain surgery for sure but there is a methodology and sequence to doing a good job and making them stop well. and of course the rest of the system needs to be restored as well. Brakes are a lot of work and unless you've done one most folks don't really realize how much work it is and that it's not cheap.

If you sent your brakes to brattons for rebuild with new drums mated it would be $1,720 per the catalog and that's if your hubs and all the other parts are good.. and you have to send them to them stripped of linings. And then when you get them back you still have to get them on and dial everything in... and don't forget the cross shafts, front brake operating shafts, clevis's, rods, etc.

Larry Shepard

Comment

Larry, do you arc the shoes unassembled from the backing plates? I assume you do. I would like to see a pic of the shoe chucked up in the machine. I am a hack machinist and my main vocation is electrical machine control. I am just trying to wrap my head around this.
                  If you were to buy a set of these front brake assembly's, you would need to disassemble them and take the shoes and the drums to someone local with a machine to arc them? I wonder why they sell them assembled? Why not throw all the parts in a box and save the labor to sell them to us?

Comment

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=afuwxWqBBa8

Here is one for sale on the VFF..

https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...-shoe-rearcher

I was considering purchasing it but had a lot on my plate at the time..

3 ~ Tudor's
                    Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Front backing plate cores. Yip we have them. Rod
                      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                      This gallery has 1 photos.
                      Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good.

Comment

Almost like my hockey skate sharpener! Ok, I get it now. Thanks guys.

Comment

How many miles do you expect from a good brake job on a model A?

Comment

Originally posted by dmdeaton View Post
                            How many miles do you expect from a good brake job on a model A?
                            I would expect at least 50,000 miles, unless it's in taxi service.

Comment

Originally posted by dmdeaton View Post
                              Larry, do you arc the shoes unassembled from the backing plates? I assume you do. I would like to see a pic of the shoe chucked up in the machine. I am a hack machinist and my main vocation is electrical machine control. I am just trying to wrap my head around this.
                              If you were to buy a set of these front brake assembly's, you would need to disassemble them and take the shoes and the drums to someone local with a machine to arc them? I wonder why they sell them assembled? Why not throw all the parts in a box and save the labor to sell them to us?

Yes I arc them separately and use a .005-.007 feeler gauge to check fit. I also repair roller tracks and machine to correct dimension or you can replace if desired and then once mounted use a entering gauge to check for fit. Usually it is right on . As Mitch stated linings vary .i really think we need some good quality molded lining out there.

Anyone have a good source ?
                              larry

Comment

I have found the brakes from Randy Gross to be excellent.

Randy Gross 714-292-8660
                                Last edited by DaWizard; 10-04-2017, 01:40 AM.
                                You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

• BNCHIEF
                                  BNCHIEF commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  x2