Generator output post location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generator output post location

All Model A fine point cars that I've observed (post Powerhouse gennies, 1929-1931) have the output post on the generator towards the 'back', away from the front of the car. Seems like I've been noticing more Model A's anymore that have the long Autolite generator with the output post on the front near the radiator, so the cutout relay is mounted 'backwards'.

I realize that the generator doesn't care about this, but where did that come about?? Was it a generator sold by like Western Auto or a similar auto parts store in the Model A and later era? I turned down a good generator a while back that had this, probably should have bought it but it looked 'weird'. Are they even an Autolite generator??

Thanks for the help on clearing this up I didn't see anything relating to this in the Judging Standards................

They are original style generators, but i don't have the production date / usage style differences in front of me now.
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

The front stud was used until March 1930, then the stud was moved to the rear and the rear bearing was changed to a bushing.

Comment

Got it Tom thanks

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• gdaquilina
          Model A Generators
          by gdaquilina
          The generator I have on my Town Sedan now has an oil cap on the front and rear plates with bushings on both ends. The output connection is on the rear of the cutout and two wires exit the output connection. Am I correct in assuming that this is maybe an early V-8 generator? If it is, is their any difference in its output from the Model A ones? All internals appear as the parts diagrams show for...
          12-17-2018, 08:51 PM
        • Chuck Sea/Tac
          Generator output
          by Chuck Sea/Tac
          I was helping a guy get his A started today. Shorted ignition switch. After it ran the ampmeter showed no charge. Would show discharge with lights on. The output of the generator post was the same as the output side of the cutout. 6.1 v. At idle or revved up. Does this indicate the generator is not putting out. Will the output stud of the generator show an output before the cutout closes? Tia
          07-21-2019, 03:43 AM
        • Chuck Sea/Tac
          Generator rpm
          by Chuck Sea/Tac
          Does anyone know the correlation/formula for engine to generator rpm?
          07-11-2020, 01:36 PM
        • gdaquilina
          Name That Generator
          by gdaquilina
          This is the generator that was on the car when I received it in 1993. It has performed well, and I am trying to determine its origin. It has the oilers at both ends and two wires coming from the grommeted hole where the stud to the cutout is usually found. One of the wires is connected to the cutout, the other is a ground to the one of the cutout screws. The pulley is two piece, riveted together,...
          03-25-2019, 04:52 PM
        • thom
          generator armature taper differences
          by thom
          I took the generator off of our '28 Coupe to the local shop to be repaired, and the guy is experienced in Model T & Model A generator and starter rebuilds but he ask me a question that I could not answer so I will ask it here.
          Will Model A generators with the two different tapers interchange if you use the complete generator, pulley included? The armatures will not interchange from one...
          11-28-2019, 01:38 AM
        • Tudor31
          Generator burned out
          by Tudor31
          The generator repair shop tested an old Model A generator I have had for some years. They claimed that it didn't charge and that it was probably burned out. Since I don't use it or need it I decided to take it apart to try to learn something about the construction and function and possibly repair it. Here is the question: If the battery doesn't function well and the generator goes into a runaway...
          09-17-2020, 01:27 PM
        • Tom Wesenberg
          Identifying Your Generator
          by Tom Wesenberg
          Over the years generators have been swapped on the Model A's, so now days you can normally have 1 of 4 different styles. First came the 5 brush powerhouse, then the 3 brush powerhouse, then the long generator known as the Autolite style. After Model A production ended and the Model B began, the generator also changed slightly, and now many B style generators can also be found on the Model A. People...
          01-03-2018, 03:00 AM
        • DaWizard
          Polarizing the Generator
          by DaWizard
          I had a call today from someone with an A and the cut-out and some other place heating up, so I will go tomorrow and see whats up, nut it brought a question to mind that I don't remember being addressed here.

When you winterize your Model A and either remove or just disconnect the battery what do you do in the spring to repolarize the generator?

Or do you even repolarize
          12-12-2019, 05:34 PM
        • Bill in NJ
          Generator regulator question ?
          by Bill in NJ
          I have a new regulator that has the cover off of it. It can go two ways. Does it make a difference ? It is the point style. Looks like there is to tab to to connect to the post coming out of the top of generator. Thanks in advance !! ...
          09-08-2017, 09:43 PM
        • A-Bone
          Generator bracket
          by A-Bone
          I'm putting a 471 blower on my 8BA and wondering about my options for mounting the generator/alt type on it.
          04-08-2020, 05:54 PM
        Working...
        X