Greasing rear axle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greasing rear axle

When I pulled my rear wheels I found a big glob of fresh grease that was about to find its way to my brake linings. Obviously I pumped in there. So my question is do you pump grease in the rear axles? This may have already been covered, I cant remember.

If you are talking about pumping grease into the rear axle zerks yes it has been covered here. Don’t do it and just repack the hub bearings by hand. Then replace the seal with a new one.
    Keep the grease off of the axle and hub tapers
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• dmdeaton
      Rear Axle Bearings
      by dmdeaton
      Quick question, when doing brake or axle work, do you guys pre pack the axle bearings in grease while reassembling? Or soak them in some rear end oil of choice? they are greased from the banjo oil?
      04-27-2018, 03:37 PM
    • Beauford
      Rear axle seals
      by Beauford
      So when doing rear brakes I noticed a small amount like drip on top side of bottom brake.(didnt smell bad like 600) Could this be do to jacking up the other side when doing the brakes? I really am not that comfortable tearing down the rear end and installing new seals. I heard somewhere there is a seal that can go on hub side? I know that isn't correct but thought if this was to worry about to do...
      12-21-2017, 03:30 PM
    • chas1930
      rear wheel bearing grease.
      by chas1930
      very new to the Model ! vehicles. Inherited from my 95 year old father. 3 yrs ago I did manage to start and drive by myself. So I am learning very slow.
      OK, my question is... rear wheel bearing were installed 4 years ago on the restore process. Now 2,500 miles later I would like to know how to lube them. I think they are sealed but not sure. I see two fittings on the backing plate. Original...
      03-28-2020, 02:20 PM
    • Jamey E
      Quick question for you A experts
      by Jamey E
      Is there anything I need to replace with doing just a brake inspection?? I plan to grease bearings while apart, but should I order hub seals or anything else before I start? I’m thinking the brakes just need adjusted, but I won’t know till we tear into it...
      07-09-2019, 08:45 PM
    • Great Lakes Greg
      Help me understand how rear axle seals work.
      by Great Lakes Greg
      Seems easy enough, right? Let me explain my confusion. I am working on a car with a bad leak on one side. Streaked wheel, soaked brakes, a real mess. I have heard over and over again, that the seals don't do much, because a spinning axle shaft flings the lube off before it makes it to the end of the bell. It then naturally drains back down the taper to the banjo housing. The only time the seal really...
      05-21-2019, 06:00 AM
    • 2manycars
      Rear hub grease seals
      by 2manycars
      How far in do the rear hub grease seals go on a 1940 ford rear axel?
      10-30-2018, 10:26 AM
    • CountrySquire55
      Rear Wheel Bearing Grease Color Change
      by CountrySquire55
      Just replaced a broken left rear axle shaft in my 31 Slant Town Sedan with a good, used original shaft. When I pulled the rear drums/bearings/hubs off the car, the rear bearing grease (I used StaLube 3131 drum brake grease, a light yellow color in the can, and hand packed the bearings myself) had turned gray after about 2,000 miles of driving, about the color of anti-seize compound. There is no noticeable...
      09-23-2017, 06:39 AM
    • Chuck Sea/Tac
      Grease coming from back of rear drum
      by Chuck Sea/Tac
      I saw a trail of grease coming from the hole below the grease fitting on the rear of the backing plate. See pictures.
      I have several thousand miles on the last greasing of the bearings, although I may have squirted a couple of pumps in a few hundred miles ago when I did a grease job. This is the first time I’ve seen this. I need to pull the drum and take a look, but I have a pinched nerve...
      08-18-2020, 06:10 PM
    • Aretino
      Rear axle taper
      by Aretino
      When assembling the rear wheel hub to the axle taper is it installed dry or lubed?
      09-02-2019, 06:42 AM
    • carolinamudwalker
      Axle shims
      by carolinamudwalker
      When adding rear axle shims do you lubricate the hub with anything to help it torque up easier? It is hard to get the hub on without getting grease on the axle anyway. Maybe liquid soap!
      07-06-2019, 06:27 AM
    Working...
    X