Door hinge removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door hinge removal

How hard is it to remove the top door hinge pin to install a hinge mirror on a 1930 coupe ?
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

That is a loaded question. Somewhere between not too bad to next to impossible. Several variables like rust, wear paint. Since your car looks restored it may not be too bad depending on what was done or not done during restoration. Re-using worn pins can cause sharp ridges for the pin to catch on. Using standard sized pins with worn holes they may slide right out. Boring for oversized pins could be very tight, but smooth once moving. Removing is always a crap shoot. Rod
    Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good.

Comment

Mac's has a door pin removal tool for $25.99. Would that be $ well spent ?? I wouldn't be reusing the old pins because the mirrors come with new ones.

Comment

Ok i'll start with that many have good luck using the tool. Now there is more than one style of tool being made, and i am not sure which one your talking about. If the paint is a concern you need to be very careful that you do not nick it when using a tool. Like Rod said sometimes they pop right out and sometimes they have grooves from the internal hinge uneven surfaces which lock them in.

Below is how i do them::

Drill through each side of the pin about an inch then knock it through with a punch that fits the hole you drilled properly.. The pin metal is soft so they drill pretty easy.. Taking it to about 5/32 will suffice.. No need to go the exact size of the pin... Do yourself a favor and protect around the work area / body with some painters tape and some towels...

I have had the tool fail me many times ... This method always works..
        Be careful not to break a drill bit in it as your up stepping the sizes

The idea is after drilling in each direction the pin collapses in on itself when punching it

Usually the head of the pin break right off which is a good thing when going the drill route

3 ~ Tudor's
        Henry Ford said
        "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• Mitch
          Mitch commented
          Editing a comment
          May i add that having the tool work is hit or miss. I just drill them all now plus as mentioned with this method the paint is much safer!

• BNCHIEF
          BNCHIEF commented
          Editing a comment
          Great tip Mitch this method never occurred to me

The tool can work but as stated also can scratch the top and bottom hinge surfaces even when taped if it wobbles. Hopefully you have touch up paint for your car. Also protect door and rain gutter with cardboard, etc. On some cars, a jobbers length bit or rt angle drill attachment may be needed to get the bit aligned.
        Last edited by plyfor; 09-27-2017, 10:57 AM.

Comment

No I wish I knew where to find touch up paint. Not for sure what color it is called.
          Last edited by lpl87; 09-27-2017, 11:05 AM.

Comment

• Mitch
            Mitch commented
            Editing a comment
            Take your car and have the paint digitally scanned
            from that they can make touch up

Not knowing your skill level with a drill, I have made a tool that works really well and does not ruffle the paint. It can be found in the tool section, but I will also post a picture here.

Hinge tool small 1.jpgHinge tool small2.jpgNote, the holes are offset to allow clearance of the body, and it is reversible depending on which side you are removing.
          You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

Nice looking tool but I'm afraid it is beyond my skill set.

Comment

If your looking at this style tool don't buy it (JUNK)

Did you at least try to knock it out first with a small drift? maybe you'll get lucky
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 1 photos.
              3 ~ Tudor's
              Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Yep that was the tool I saw. Haven't tried to get it out yet because I don't have the new mirrors. Was just looking for advice.
                Where can I find touch up paint ??
                Last edited by lpl87; 09-27-2017, 11:29 AM.

Comment

That tool does look better. Will remember it as a backup. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post
                  If your looking at this style tool don't buy it (JUNK)

Did you at least try to knock it out first with a small drift? maybe you'll get lucky
                  The best use for that tool is to use it as a drill guide to keep the bit centered as you drill 1" into the pin.
                  You'll have to make an insert that screws into the tool to guide the bit.

Comment

Mitch I just now noticed the paint note. Who does the digital scans ??

Comment

I use a professional body shop paint supplier.
                      3 ~ Tudor's
                      Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Thank you !! I will check with my body shop.

Comment

I have used the tool Mitch referred to in post #10.1, and have loaned the tool out quite a few times. So far it has worked every time, even on a '50 Ford pickup. That's not to say that it won't fail to do so, but so far it hasn't.
                          Alaskan A's
                          Antique Auto Mushers of Alaska
                          Model A Ford Club of America
                          Model A Restorers Club
                          Antique Automobile Club of America
                          Mullins Owners Club

Comment

lpl87, How about a little location information? If you are within about 50 miles from me, I will not only deliver the tool, I will aid in it's use. If not, well....
                            You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

• Mitch
                              Mitch commented
                              Editing a comment
                              You can't beat that offer!

Located in Brownfield,tx which is 35 miles sw of Lubbock. One of my problems is I can't find anyone close for advice so that is why I appreciate this forum !!!

The nearest MAFCA chapter is over 200 miles away. Appreciate the offer.

Comment

• DaWizard
                              DaWizard commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Well, you are just out of my driving range, so I am sorry I can't deliver it and help you out.