Emergency brake or hand brake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emergency brake or hand brake

While going through the parts book trying to identify some brake rods I noticed Ford changed the name three times.
    A-2853-AR Rod, emergency brake lever to cross shaft 1928-29.
    A-2856-D Rod, emergency hand brake lever to cross shaft 1930-31.
    A-2853-E Rod, hand brake lever to cross shaft assembly 1931.

Bob

Well Bob, to the best of my knowledge it has never intended to be an emergency brake, it has always been a parking brake. Even on the very early left hand brake where it applied all 4 wheels worth of brake, I think Henry said in the owners manual to not use it for stopping the car. It has always been to prevent the car from moving while starting the car.
    You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

Interesting observation Bob.

I will report that I saw a pair of e-brake carriers (or whatever kind of brake you want to call it) once that were so twisted, wracked, and deformed that I made the comment, "I couldn't do that to those carriers if I tried"
      I was told by an old timer nearby, "that is what happens when you use the hand brake to try to stop the car"

Comment

• BILL WILLIAMSON
        BILL WILLIAMSON commented
        Editing a comment
        Ever try to stop a later car, with the LEFT foot parking brake?--LOL
        Dad Awkward

Related Topics

Collapse

• Leo
      Emergency Brake Rod and Lever Mystery???
      by Leo
      This part was on the chassis of my 1930 coupe when I bought it but I could not use it or determine what it was from. The lever has raised letters cast into it that appear to be N. F. C. O. 4
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 2 photos.
      04-20-2019, 03:47 PM
    • B.snow84
      Floor Boards
      by B.snow84
      I have a 28 leatherback with the e brake by the cowl. Was wondering if there’s anyplace that sells the floorboards and the floor mat? How hard is it to convert to e brake by the shifter. I also think this model a is a rare one because it doesn’t have the e brake in the rear drums.
      02-15-2020, 09:58 AM
    • gjohnson
      Emergency Brake Rod Alignment
      by gjohnson
      I am working on a late 31 Deluxe Delivery for Fine Point and am presently focused on the chassis. When I connected my Emergency Brake rod to the Emergency brake lever, I find that the rod clevis is about one inch out of alignment with the emergency brake cross shaft lever and impossible to connect. If I move the entire cross shaft in its bushings towards the passenger side, I can connect the rod...
      07-20-2019, 05:31 PM
    • dmaxweb
      Emergency Brake Handle
      by dmaxweb
      Is this the correct shape or is it time to find another?
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.
      06-03-2020, 07:34 AM
    • Steve Plucker
      The A-2470 Brake Equalizer Operating Shaft
      by Steve Plucker
      Originally the A-2470 Brake Equalizer Operating Shaft and Bushing Assembly had two clevis type attachments...one for the brake pedal in about the middle of the part and one for the emergency brake lever on the left side of the part near the left frame rail.

When the emergency brake lever was moved to the center, just in front of the gearshift, there was then no need for the clevis on...
      06-01-2020, 11:53 PM
    • Mitch
      Brake Information & Adjustment Procedure
      by Mitch
      Brake Adjustment Procedure:

I've noticed posts about sticking brake pedals and poor brakes. If the brake rods are not set up correctly , the brakes will be poor even if all parts are new . Here is how I do mine . I first adjust the brake adjustment wedges at each wheel with the brake rods disconnected at the clevis end . I start by adjusting the wedges at the rear wheels...
      05-13-2017, 04:04 PM
    • Steve Plucker
      Judging Standards clarification...Area 7 Brake System...
      by Steve Plucker
      On page 7-4 Revised 2011...It states in the last paragraph "Mounting bolts and nuts were unfinished with the early brake systems and raven finished thereafter".

Are the "early brake systems" from SOP thru June 1928 or SOP thru November 1928?

Thanks.

Pluck
      03-17-2019, 11:33 PM
    • Tom Wesenberg
      Pay Attention to Details
      by Tom Wesenberg
      This is what happens when you don't pay attention to details. Someone used a thin E clip, rather than the correct thicker U clip to secure the parking brake lever to the brake shoe. They also left out the wavy washer between the two parts, and this left the parking brake lever loose enough so the cable spring pushed it outward, where it rode against the brake drum. One wear spot is where the cable...
      05-14-2018, 06:52 PM
    • Great Lakes Greg
      Brake wedge pills
      by Great Lakes Greg
      I hope this isn't too trivial. I have done a dozen brake jobs, and done right in my humble opinion. Mostly cast iron drums, arced shoes, centered by welding and grinding the tracks until the shoes are spot on centered, all new hardware. The front brake actuating lever is supposed to be 15 degrees forward. To attain this I always, and I mean always, have to add two pills to the front wedge. I can't...
      06-20-2020, 11:59 AM
    • bosticjb
      Brake shoes
      by bosticjb
      What is the best brake shoes for the model A any recommendations Need good stopping power...
      07-19-2019, 05:37 PM
    Working...
    X