29 Special Coupe Roof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 29 Special Coupe Roof

Is the roof panel above the door norrower or wider than the panel above the door than that of a tudor? Looking for these panels for my Dads special coupe and a friend called me and the right side he bought for his tudor is narrower than what he needs. Hoping it is the right width for the special coupe and I can trade him for the one I have for a tudor. For some reason I was thinking the one for the special coupe was wider, but now wondering if I have it backwards. Thanks Rod
    Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good.

Rod,
    I have a completed 1928 Special Coupe with top material and padding installed. I might be able to take some measurements from mine if you'd like. As I recall, the width is not the same at the front as it is at the back.
    Dave

Comment

Had some spare time today and went to my friends house and took the narrower roof panel to the farm and tried the fit on Dad's coupe and it fits good. Took the one that I removed from a tudor and dropped it off at my freinds house. Now both panels are with the project they belong. Seems I had it backwards as to which was wider. Now to find a left side and beltrail molding for Dads coupe. Rod
      Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good.

Comment

• Ray Horton
        Ray Horton commented
        Editing a comment
        Good luck with that molding. I looked for 5 years before I found a good set. They are very rare and very fragile. And very expensive if you find a set!

• Rowdy
        Rowdy commented
        Editing a comment
        No need to worry. I will find one. There is a complete roof about 40 miles from here that I still need to look at. Bringing the coupe to my shop for the winter to see what I can get done. Dad turned 75 earlier this month and has made no progress in recent years, so the time for me to take over the project has come. Want him to be able to enjoy it while he is still in good health. Rod

Related Topics

Collapse

• DaWizard
      Who knows about the Sport Coupe?
      by DaWizard
      Now, when I was younger, my first A was a '30 Sport Coupe, but all I really remember about it was it had some vinyl seat cover material for a roof.

Today I was working on an Aug '28 Sport Coupe and noticed something I had not remembered about my first one. It seems that the "Special Coupe" wasn't the only model to have a removable beltline. Can any of you out there in Model
      01-05-2018, 11:36 PM
    • frankn
      special coupe top
      by frankn
      1928 49a special coupe has anyone found an easy way to take off metal belt line at bottom of top I think it would snap on but don't want to damage anything
      08-24-2020, 10:32 PM
    • Ray Horton
      Top dressing
      by Ray Horton
      I have thought about renewing the top sealant on my 29 business coupe, but given that it is only a single thickness of fabric, I am concerned about the chemical odor permeating the interior of the car and making it unpleasant or even unhealthy. Can anyone advise me what they have used on older sport coupe and business coupe tops, and has odor been a problem?
      07-15-2017, 10:55 AM
    • plyfor
      '32 Coupe Top Molding Dimension
      by plyfor
      Can anyone with a '32 coupe (3 or 5 window) provide the inside radius of the top molding at the rear and front corners?
      Thanks in advance.
      01-16-2020, 11:18 AM
    • Bill in NJ
      Does any other door fit a 1930 coupe ? (Beside the 1931 door)
      by Bill in NJ
      What doors would interchange with a coupe door ??
      07-19-2017, 10:14 PM
    • Jim Mason
      Dave Cella's VE Coupe
      by Jim Mason
      Was there a write up of Dave's henry coupe in MAN? if so which issue?
      02-20-2019, 05:46 PM
    • Manager
      29 coupe and roadster sub rail differences.
      by Manager
      I'm moving on to the body part of a 29 standard coupe I have. I have a subframe for a Tudor which I thought was just a matter of lenthening a bit but after looking at it the side rail is nowhere near matching the body quarter panel/wheel well area as well.In hindsight I should have realised this earlier. While looking at my options including buying repro I notice that some vendors list coupe and roadster...
      02-03-2018, 05:06 PM
    • Mickey
      Top of coupe
      by Mickey
      Can you replace the wood in the roof of the coupe without removing the metal panels on the top sides. I know the front metal needs to come off and I assume probably the headliner. The top was leaking so I pulled the vinyl back and found mouse nests and rotted wood.
      08-29-2018, 08:08 PM
    • rusty
      1928 Special Coupe
      by rusty
      In the process of disassembling 2 special coupe bodies I found in between the body panels and the wood what looked like batting material. This was where the body panels
      are nailed to the wood. I'm assuming this was to prevent squeaking. Not sure I want to do this with my new wood. Looks like this would be a good place to trap moisture. Anybody have any thoughts or experience with this?
      02-09-2020, 11:14 AM
    • Rowdy
      29 Oval Window Business Coupe Top Parts
      by Rowdy
      Does anyone have pictures and some details for the bracketry and frames for the oval windows? Would like to see them before the fabric is on. Dad wants to convert his Special Coupe to a Business Coupe. Pretty familure to most of the parts needed, but know the windows throw in some variation so that the wood pieces do not go across the windows themselves. Possibly located the lower front corner brackets...
      10-04-2017, 12:26 PM
    Working...
    X