Ever heard of a Bombay Bell?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever heard of a Bombay Bell?

I was doing some casual reading on various late Model A’s and I came across the Bombay Bell. I’m interested in learning more about this. Does anyone have knowledge of this?

Is that by chance a "Bermuda Bell?

They are mounted under the floor and give off a nice sound when you step on the mechanical push button.

Comment

Sounds like the same thing. Was this an after market thing people added? Was it specific to the new ford?

Comment

Originally posted by Curly View Post
        Sounds like the same thing. Was this an after market thing people added? Was it specific to the new ford?
        Not a stock Item on the new Ford.

Comment

You find them on Ebay fairly often, usually between $100-$200.

Bob
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• Mitch
            Mitch commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the pic Bob, i was wondering what they looked like

Now i see what Tom mentioned, about it screwing to the floor and the stem sticks up through

Very interesting. I appreciate the information.

Comment

Some people like them. I find them anoying, but that is just me. I like to hear the engine run smooth and don't want much to distract from that sound. Bells and whistles have their place and you often find them with cars that have every accessory ever made for the A. Too each their own. Rod
            Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good.

Comment

I had one on my roadster, and it made for fun in a parade. They are two toned, as the upper and lower bell are different sizes. Bing-Bong.
              Bill
              http://www.brauchauto.com/
              Eastern Connecticut

Comment

I've heard of Bombay Sapphire and Bermuda bells...if you want one and find one look for a brass bell. They also made them out of aluminum but I think the brass sounds better.

Comment

They're not easy to find.

Comment

• Boston Bruce
                    Boston Bruce commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Wow..someone who knows how to use a contraction.

Doghere,
                  Wull, wuz it Bombay UR Bermuda? We don't want to go on a "WILD GOOSE CHASE"AND, don't try to TRICK us with thet "SNIPE HUNTING" rigamorow" ---We're pretty SAVVY:rolling
                  Buster T.

Comment

Two names for the same thing. Like in the North they say, “Potato Salad”, in the South they say, “Tater Salad”. Same thing, two names.

Comment

Comment

They are not all mechanical. Some Bermuda bells are electrical. I have a mechanical and a 6 volt one.

Comment

Hey DDD , WELCOME to the VFF!!
                          You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

Welcome DDD!!!!
                            3 ~ Tudor's
                            Henry Ford said
                            "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• CM2
                              Please identify this flywheel housing
                              by CM2
                              Found this one on an engine that hasnt been touched in years...is it Ford? is it an early? or is it a repop from the era?
                              12-30-2017, 02:12 PM
                            • Jeff/Illinois
                              American Icon: How Alan Mullaly Saved the Ford Motor Company
                              by Jeff/Illinois
                              This is a good book for all you Ford fans if you are looking to pass some winter weather time indoors. Some neat points they make in the book, in relation to Model A Fords, was the story of 'how' the Model A came about (we've all heard it still interesting) but also later Alan Mullaly makes reference to how they pulled Ford out of the brink of disaster after he took over in Sept. 2006, akin to what...
                              01-30-2018, 05:52 PM
                            • carolinamudwalker
                              Transmission value
                              by carolinamudwalker
                              What would be a fare price to ask for a good working transmission with bell housing, U-joint, and shift lever minus knob?
                              06-12-2018, 05:53 PM
                            • Ray Horton
                              A consideration on restoration
                              by Ray Horton
                              "If the driveline on the A is properly restored to factory specs (keep in mind I'm not talking Judging Standards but Ford original specs for fit) it is a VERY reliable car."

This was a comment from a knowledgeable professional restorer, Kevin in NJ, and though I have heard similar comments before, this one caught my attention for the distinction drawn between Judging Standards...
                              12-27-2017, 09:39 PM
                            • Steve Plucker
                              "I was told once that..." stories...
                              by Steve Plucker
                              How many of you at one time or the other over the years heard something about the Model A/AA Ford that you had a hard time beleiving if it were true or not.

Here is my story...I was told once that before the Ford Runtunda fire of what year I forget, that there were many Ford archives and Ford data that were lost due to the fire.

One of the items that was lost were all the...
                              08-29-2018, 11:53 PM
                            • greenhornet
                              Hello and Float-a-motor
                              by greenhornet
                              Thank you for including me on this forum. I just bought a Model A roadster,a 1931 Deluxe and it has been 43 years since I owned one.I bought a 1930 roadster in 1964 at age 18 years old,first car ever bought on my own. I have a lot of work to do on this car,mechanically which I can do,actually more issues than I thought it was going to have. It has a cracked flywheel housing which I am looking for...
                              09-28-2018, 05:36 PM
                            • DaWizard
                              Transmissions..
                              by DaWizard
                              Will someone refresh this tired muddled brain cell challenged old guy?

I have been sitting here trying to remember the differences in the V8 transmissions and can't remember. Between 1932 and 1948 I believe that the transmission parts may have varied, the bell housing to U-joint distance as well as U-joints and bell housing mounting was all the same on the "top loader" transmissions.
                              09-09-2018, 01:09 PM
                            • Ed H
                              Machining block
                              by Ed H
                              With all the talk about bell housing and engine alignment, is it possible to machine both so there is a perfect fit?
                              Have not pulled a Model A engine in yrs. so I am just asking for opinions.
                              Thanks all.
                              12-02-2017, 12:11 PM
                            • Terry, NJ
                              My Ideal engine !
                              by Terry, NJ
                              This is not for the old timers who know and have experience with these things, but for the new comers who have some machines and the know how to use them and want/need a little more hp under the hood to keep up with traffic, First, The head! The 5.5 heads coming from Snyders are an excellent first step. Even the 6.0 seems to be ok. For a little over $300 this should be the first consideration. Next,...
                              10-16-2018, 10:34 AM
                            • Denis4x4
                              Official Ford Model A film
                              by Denis4x4
                              Watched a two hour DVD that combined several Ford films on the introduction of the Model A and how it was built. However, the real interesting segment was on the dealership, service and financing. We all know that Ford controlled everything from raw materials to the final product. What was news to me was the financing and insurance that Ford provided to buyers through the dealership. While today's...
                              10-14-2017, 05:59 PM
                            Working...
                            X