Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throttle assembly

Hi folks,

Work on my 1929 restoration continues. Today's topic is the throttle assembly. I cleaned it up over the weekend - got rid of all of the gunk that 80+ years have put on. The lever that connects back to the hand throttle control rod was badly stuck - immovable. After a bunch of TLC and a bunch of Kroil, I got it loosened up but now I'm worried that it's TOO loose. It spins freely on the shaft with no resistance at all. Is that the way it's supposed to be? If that's the case, it would seem that the only thing holding the hand adjustment for the throttle is the friction between the control rod and the notches on the top of the steering column. Is that right?

The rest of the assembly (which appears to be a type 3) is fine - even the spring works well. I replaced the cotter pin on top of the piece in question but that's it.

Thanks for any insight!

Regards,
    Pat

Yes, it should move freely. It's fine.

Comment

Excellent. Thanks!

Comment

Notice that there are two little holes on the top side for a drop of oil to go.
        This is noted in the lubrication chart item G
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.
        3 ~ Tudor's
        Henry Ford said
        "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

BTW, when someone removes or installs an engine without removing this part first, the part often gets bent. Notice the two uprights curve forward for more clearance to the firewall, and when those get bent, it's hard to get them perfect, where there isn't still some friction on the shaft. Someone bent the one on my 28, and it still has a little friction, so it might not come back to the slow idle without snapping the pedal. I'll work on it the next time I have the engine out.

Comment

• Mitch
            Mitch commented
            Editing a comment
            I think i have a couple of these in that "" Pile for sale"" in the for sale area

Not sure what styles though

Related Topics

Collapse

• Mike
          Throttle linkage slop at the throttle lever on the column?
          by Mike
          How to properly adjust throttle linkage play <slop> at the throttle lever on the car?
          Thank you,
          Michael...
          02-19-2018, 08:28 AM
        • Steve Plucker
          The Drum Taillight Electrical assembly
          by Steve Plucker
          I have some drum taillight assemblies and am wondering how to remove the bakalite fixture on the back of the assembly.

I know for one that you press the little button down that is on the upper outside top of the Taillight socket assembly. However there is a "mushroom" shaped pin on the inside that is connected to a fixture that is riveted to the main body of the bracket....
          03-13-2019, 12:07 AM
        • Steve Plucker
          Four-story assembly plants
          by Steve Plucker
          Does anyone know of any publication that describes the workings of a four-story Ford Motor Company Assembly Plant?

Thanks.

Pluck...
          12-05-2017, 03:26 AM
        • Mickey
          Throttle linkage question
          by Mickey
          Should the throttle linkage pass under the throttle mount?
          In the first photo there is no throttle advance. It's what would be at idle.
          In the second photo it's at full throttle and you can see the linkage hitting the mount bolt area. When I look at the throttle on the carburetor there is still a good deal more advance that could be done except for the contact being made in the second...
          This gallery has 2 photos.
          06-03-2019, 11:53 AM
        • Mark Maron
          NEW rebuilt Steering Column question
          by Mark Maron
          With the help of Ron and Ken we rebuilt a complete new steering column (2 Tooth) I am using the REPOP Horn rod It fits in fine. My question is. if I use the little copper busing that goes into the top of the shaft the rod is VERY VERY tight and VERY hard to turn...Do i really need to use it OR should i sand down the rod to be able to use it and turn the rod easy?? Thanks all...
          This gallery has 4 photos.
          09-01-2018, 02:41 PM
        • Jeff1984
          Spark lever timing issue
          by Jeff1984
          All,

After a trip to a show a month ago, I noticed that my '31 Tudor was doing some strange things with regard to the spark lever. It seemed the lever was almost being "pulled" up on its own as I drove. Also, I noticed that when the lever was pushed all the way up, the engine would stall out completely, instead of staying at a slow idle.

I thought perhaps the steering...
          11-19-2018, 06:23 PM
        Working...
        X