No announcement yet.

Rear backing plate - no grease fitting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear backing plate - no grease fitting?

Today I did my first 500 mile maintenance on my 1931 cc pickup, and noticed that I seemed to be missing the grease fitting on both rear backing plates directly below the axle tubes. I haven't found a good source yet for which grease fittings my Ford should have, and which ones it shouldn't.

In the Les Andrews book, in the lubrication diagram at location C, label 9 points to what looks like an adjustment access plug, however I saw a youtube video in which there _is_ a zerk centered exactly below the axle tube, and the guy lubes it. Was there a change during production that deleted the zerk there, and if so, why?

Thanks

tavvy WELCOME to the VFF!!

I will let the others answer up on the axle tube fitting.
    You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

Welcome tavvy. Those fittings were not Henry's best idea. They are supposed to grease the rear wheel hub bearings. The problem is you'll have no idea of what actually gets through if any, or too much. The best way is to treat them like we would do on the front. Pull the hub, inspect and repack the bearings by hand. You'll need a new grease seal and I recommend the tool for installing that. To pull the rear hub a puller is needed. This would be a great time to check the brakes and other items once it is apart. Are your fitting holes not there?
      3 ~ Tudor's
      Henry Ford said
      "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post
        I recommend the tool for installing that

https://www.brattons.com/rear-hub-seal-driver.html

Comment

tavvy - you may also consider purchasing these:

https://www.brattons.com/axle-hub-gaskets-2-pcs.html

Comment

I saw somewhere that by 31, Ford had realized it was a bad idea and didn't put the fittings on the last vehicles. The idea is that you pull the drums and grease by hand just like the front ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunnybrook Farm View Post
              I saw somewhere that by 31, Ford had realized it was a bad idea and didn't put the fittings on the last vehicles. The idea is that you pull the drums and grease by hand just like the front ones.
              Anyone have any diagrams (specifically for 31's)?

Comment

I never knew the 31 did not have a zerk. I'm pretty sure they all had them. Maybe the hole was filled with crud?
                3 ~ Tudor's
                Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

I think it's discussed at 3:49 on this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuDGQ2jByac

Comment

Thanks, everyone - that makes sense. Very grateful for the information. The backing plates do each have a 3/8” threaded hole in that spot. Perhaps Ford was using up the old stock backing plates after the zerks were discontinued ?

Comment

Originally posted by tavvy View Post
                      Thanks, everyone - that makes sense. Very grateful for the information. The backing plates do each have a 3/8” threaded hole in that spot. Perhaps Ford was using up the old stock backing plates after the zerks were discontinued ?
                      The zerk is not screwed in the backing plate. It is screwed into the axle tube itself.
                      3 ~ Tudor's
                      Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Originally posted by jmart76 View Post
                        I think it's discussed at 3:49 on this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuDGQ2jByac

I don't think this is correct. I looked in the Service Bulletins and Service Letters and could find no mention of the grease fittings
                        being eliminated. The parts books show two grease fittings 1928-37.

Comment

Thanks Bob, my exact thoughts as well. I have found many of Jack's videos to be suspect. Another one that is misleading is the radiator fill and drain method to check for good flow
                          3 ~ Tudor's
                          Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

I think this is where it was mentioned, what was really said was "after model A production" they stopped making them with grease fittings. Not sure if this means Model A housings or 32 and after housings. So it wasn't late 31 as I thought.
                            http://www.santaanitaas.org/wp-conte...e-Fittings.pdf

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• chas1930
                              rear wheel bearing grease.
                              by chas1930
                              very new to the Model ! vehicles. Inherited from my 95 year old father. 3 yrs ago I did manage to start and drive by myself. So I am learning very slow.
                              OK, my question is... rear wheel bearing were installed 4 years ago on the restore process. Now 2,500 miles later I would like to know how to lube them. I think they are sealed but not sure. I see two fittings on the backing plate. Original...
                              03-28-2020, 02:20 PM
                            • Beauford
                              Rear axle seals
                              by Beauford
                              So when doing rear brakes I noticed a small amount like drip on top side of bottom brake.(didnt smell bad like 600) Could this be do to jacking up the other side when doing the brakes? I really am not that comfortable tearing down the rear end and installing new seals. I heard somewhere there is a seal that can go on hub side? I know that isn't correct but thought if this was to worry about to do...
                              12-21-2017, 03:30 PM
                            • cairo16
                              What type of grease ?
                              by cairo16
                              Hello I’m going to be doing the first grease job on my car since I purchased it. What type of grease should I use ?...
                              01-04-2019, 06:21 PM
                            • JohnB15632
                              Grease Fittings - Apology
                              by JohnB15632
                              The shock links that come form from a major supplier come with an angled original grease fitting. I have determined that this is a 3/8" threaded fitting. This fitting hex is 7/16 wrench, therefore, the threads are 3/8".

I want to go with the modern grease fittings. The largest angled grease fitting is 5/16" that I have found so far.

Does anyone out there know...
                              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                              This gallery has 4 photos.
                              04-09-2019, 06:27 PM
                            • BudP
                              Grease Gun Recommendations
                              by BudP
                              Spring is coming (I hope!) and it's getting close to greasing the 30 or so zerks on the Model A's. For a long time I used Henry Ford's small cartridge gun. Then I bought a Lincoln pump action but many times there just is not enough room to get a good pump. So I am now leaning to buying either a grease gun that runs off a rechargeable battery or one that I can run off my compressor. I am seeking...
                              02-13-2019, 09:24 PM
                            • Steve Plucker
                              Press-in grease zerks...
                              by Steve Plucker
                              A few years back I bought three packets of reproduction grease zerks.

These zerks were the spittin image of the originals, right down to the shape of the cone.

Other zerks that I had ordered in the past had the cone TOP a little wider than the originals and slightly shorter...not a good match to say the least.

Unfortunatly there was no name on the three packs...
                              05-27-2019, 11:10 AM
                            • Captndan
                              Grease
                              by Captndan
                              OK what’s the difference between front wheel and rear wheel bearing grease?
                              04-19-2019, 04:51 PM
                            • carolinamudwalker
                              Where does the grease go?
                              by carolinamudwalker
                              When I put my transmission in I packed as much grease as I could into the universal joint. Then I pumped grease into the clam shell until it came out the speedometer cable turtle (bolt removed) I just greased the chassis again and the universal joint took forever to fill back up. I don't see evidence that it is leaking out so where does it go?
                              02-13-2019, 07:58 AM
                            • davew
                              Water pump
                              by davew
                              My water pump has two grease fittings on it. Car is a 1930. I took the rear most fitting off and water came out. Is that supposed to happen ?...
                              06-19-2018, 02:13 PM
                            • CountrySquire55
                              Rear Wheel Bearing Grease Color Change
                              by CountrySquire55
                              Just replaced a broken left rear axle shaft in my 31 Slant Town Sedan with a good, used original shaft. When I pulled the rear drums/bearings/hubs off the car, the rear bearing grease (I used StaLube 3131 drum brake grease, a light yellow color in the can, and hand packed the bearings myself) had turned gray after about 2,000 miles of driving, about the color of anti-seize compound. There is no noticeable...
                              09-23-2017, 06:39 AM
                            Working...
                            X