'Exciting' the alternator.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Exciting' the alternator.

usually a quick goose of the gas would get the alternator in the charging mode. Lately, however, I find that it takes a few - or several - high revs to accomplish this. Then it charges as normal.

is this the beginning of a problem?

First I would ask how easy has it been starting the car?

Second, I would ask, have you changed or added anything recently?

Also, I would check the battery cable ground for corrosion. I would suggest tightening the alternator mounting bolts, or at least loosen and retighten to insure a good ground connection.

Odds are there is nothing wrong and the battery isn't getting drained much and the alternator doesn't need to work as hard, but it is safe to check the above.
    You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

• Mitch
      Mitch commented
      Editing a comment
      Make sure the belt is not slipping

I thought you were going to tell it a rowdy story!
    Bill
    http://www.brauchauto.com/
    Eastern Connecticut

Comment

Unless you start the car and let it idle for hours you should not have to worry about getting the alternator excited. Once in gear and on the road, you will hit the RPM needed to start the charge.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback on this.

there is absolutely nothing new on the car, or anything done to it other than an oil change. It starts very well, just a tap on the starter and she fires right up.

i'll check the bolts, cables and belt just to be sure, but I'm happy to hear it's unlikely to be serious.

thanks again!

Comment

i'd also wonder if the belt has loosened. Are you using a cogged belt? You get a better wrap with those and less likely to slip.
          Usually a stab of the gas to about 1200 rpm will excite the field.

The reason the 1-wire works is because the internal voltage regulator is leaky

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Steve from FL
            New alternator issues (help)
            by Steve from FL
            I have a 1930 model A and recently installed a new alternator. The previous owner converted the car to 12v. The car started fine a few times then the battery went dead (brand new battery). This leads me to believe that I wired the alternator incorrectly. Here is a picture of the setup. the red wire goes to voltage. Im not really sure whats wrong with it. Electrical is not my specialty. I have also...
            07-07-2018, 10:08 PM
          • Bikerider58
            Ammeter going out
            by Bikerider58
            The ammeter worked, but on the last drive it looks like it is going out.

30 coupe, 6v alternator with 12v ps. After starting the meter would show 10a charge and drop to 2 or 3 after a bit. Turning lights on would cause higher reading. With engine off, it would show negative with lights on.

Now it shows near 10 running and 0 when off, even with lights on.

Many...
            09-23-2018, 01:23 PM
          • mjgravina
            First Model A - New Alternator & Fuse issue
            by mjgravina
            Hello Everyone,

Hope you are doing well. Me and my dad got our first Model A, it's a 1930 Tudor Sedan beauty.
            Just a couple of weeks into our journey we ran into the first couple of adventures, and wanted to use it as a chance to introduce ourselves and get some help, as well as contribute whatever little we know.

Car battery would be drained every morning. Figured...
            06-11-2020, 07:35 PM
          • Beauford
            Alternator issue
            by Beauford
            I thought I had it licked by charging my battery but my gauge still stays pegged at 20. When I first fully charged the battery it would drop to around 10....what's the prob??
            09-07-2018, 06:21 PM
          • Nabco
            Alternator Mount Question
            by Nabco
            Hey guys, fired up Sister today, first start since early November, she fired right up, big difference with the new battery and starter I put in her last summer.

Anyway I noticed the alternator is moving a little bit, see video, the vid represents the full distance of the movement. Is that normal or should I do something, I’m pretty sure it’s always been that that way, just now noticed...
            04-25-2020, 11:47 AM
          • BillEbob
            Alternator anamoly??
            by BillEbob
            Last night I discovered that the horn was making a very sick sound when in use. I revved engine RPM’s higher to discover if this made a difference — no change. Realizing that the headlights were on, I turned them off and tried horn again — nice bright AHOOGAH!

With lights ‘on’ (at idle) ammeter shows discharge, at normal speed ammeter is showing charging.

Any idea...
            10-19-2019, 09:50 AM
          • Mark Maron
            Need Advice on Amp Meter w/Alternator reading
            by Mark Maron
            Hi everyone and thanks in advance on this topic:
            MY CAR:

NEW wiring Harness from Tyree (perfect)
            Original 20/20 Amp
            Set Point alternator
            960 Miles on the car
            Did a complete engine overhaul, rings, valves everything and engine running fine.
            “B” Carb
            “B” Distributor

Started the car last night to drive home, approx. an...
            09-06-2017, 01:02 PM
          • copgib
            Alternator
            by copgib
            What is the advantage of replacing the generator with a new 6-volt Alternator?
            05-17-2018, 10:17 PM
          • canadian
            Ammeter.
            by canadian
            after all the vibrations, death wobble , fouled plugs , engine mount issues, I can finally look at dash without a pile of sweat and tears that my ammeter is showing reverse of what exactly what's happening . 12V alternator showing discharge all the time when engine running, was thinking if I reversed connections ? or this won't work anyway with Alternator ?
            05-23-2019, 05:54 AM
          • canadian
            Alternator wiring .
            by canadian
            I retrofitted my A to 12 V Neg, changed original ignition to modern 3 pole. no problems , but I doing a little winter maintenance and noticed that yellow /black wire from alternator positive goes into junction box , seems normal for this . But I also have a 10 gauge wire from alternator post to positive battery post. I am thinking after all the fooling around trying to get this working ,,,pulley....
            02-18-2019, 10:18 AM
          Working...
          X