Some Good News, Maybe, (gas)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Good News, Maybe, (gas)

With this "buyer shortage" of gasoline backing up supplies, is it possible they've taken the "hol" out of gas? It occurs to me that we're getting our gas sans alcohol to increase the gas consumption by 10%. Two days ago, I bought a tankful ($1.97 in Pa) and the car hasn't run so well at any time in it's life, which got me to thinking, Hhhhhmmmmm, maybe it's real gas! This was reminiscent of my old E-150 van. Occasionally I would get a tankful and the truck ran so well on it. Food for thought!
    Terry

I get non ethanol gas delivered to the house. Last week it was $2.29 a gallon. We have a lot of small engines and an outboard in addition to the A's. Worth every penny as a Honda 10HP carb can run a $100.

Comment

With the price of oil hitting a new low (FREE) you would think gas prices would drop but not in my home town, same price for the past couple of months. The same stores don't hesitate to raise the price when oil prices go up. This is why in normal times I seldom buy gas locally.

TOB

Comment

I just got 300 litres of crapahol delivered to my house this week. With extra time on my hands I grabbed the calculator. On the invoice all costs are broken out separate, and the various assorted taxes add up to 54% of the total cost. Blame government not oil companies for the greed. Jim.

Comment

In Colorado, the Federal tax is 36% and the state tax is almost 10%. California state tax on gas is considerably higher. Yes, station owners aren’t going to lower the prices when their tanks are full of fuel at the higher price. Especially stations with low volume. I’m more concerned about oil stock dividends than the price of gas..

Comment

We're about 35 miles (as the crow flies) ESE of San Francisco. Regular gas here ranges from $2.69 to $3.29 a gallon as of today. Of that, it looks like about $.75 is combined taxes.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry, NJ View Post
              With this "buyer shortage" of gasoline backing up supplies, is it possible they've taken the "hol" out of gas? It occurs to me that we're getting our gas sans alcohol to increase the gas consumption by 10%. Two days ago, I bought a tankful ($1.97 in Pa) and the car hasn't run so well at any time in it's life, which got me to thinking, Hhhhhmmmmm, maybe it's real gas! This was reminiscent of my old E-150 van. Occasionally I would get a tankful and the truck ran so well on it. Food for thought!
              Terry
              I'm reading; there is considerable talk of removing alcohol from fuel supply. good idea!

Comment

Took the Model A out to get gas today and paid $1.89 at my local Sunoco station.

Comment

A speedway moved in next to two established gas stations just off of rt70 near Pittsburgh PA started an old fashioned gas war and is loosing. Did I mention that it’s in Pennsyvainia

Attached Files
                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 1 photos.
                  CSPIDY
                  Last edited by CSPIDY; 04-23-2020, 06:56 PM.
                  28 Tudor
                  57 Tbird
                  2kMR2 Spyder
                  62 Willys Pickup

Wise man once told me you don’t know what you don’t know

Comment

Prices have dropped in Nebraska quite a bit. Unfortunately the price in the Lincoln area is $.20 per gallon higher than anyplace else in the state due to there being only two suppliers in this area. I imagine they work together to keep the price up.
                    Regardless it is nice that the price is down but...
                    A fairly significant part of the price per gallon is taxes. I know it really burns some folks that there is so much tax included but it does help pay for roads etc... for us to use to get from point A to point AA.
                    Price is down because less fuel is being used. Less fuel used means less taxes generated to fix and maintain the roads. Might be problematic for road maintenance going forward.

Comment

Out here where we used to have a station on every corner and have some of the largest refineries around, the price has stayed in the upper reaches of $3.00 gal. Even though traffic is like Holiday Light, the stations refuse to give in. The absolute best I could find around me was $2.48 and they want your first born for that.
                      You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

$1.919 here in Anchorage this morning 4/23/2020
                        Alaskan A's
                        Antique Auto Mushers of Alaska
                        Model A Ford Club of America
                        Model A Restorers Club
                        Antique Automobile Club of America
                        Mullins Owners Club

Comment

E10 is cheaper than "proper" petrol here by 2 to 4 cents per litre (7.6 to 15.2 c per US gallon). Even back when petrol was about $1 a litre, I did some calculations on how much energy we were buying for our dollar. It takes a certain amount of ENERGY to move a vehicle over a certain distance, assuming same speed. Even with a 4% discount for the E10, we were paying more per unit of energy with the E10 and because you have to use more of it to drive the same distance, it is quite a bit more expensive than straight petrol. While E10 is available at every service station, not many use it. I, and most others preferring to pay the little extra and go further in a proper running car. It is cheaper in the long run. The octane ratings of fuel here are: E10 - 87 Standard unleaded, 91, next comes (different companies use different names) 95 and the top one is 98. Even with a high compression head, 91 is fine (my car tests 100-105 psi compression).

Comment

Florida around 1.69....2.29 for ethanol free.

Comment

Shell station on Locust street in Davenport, Iowa last Friday was 90.9 cents a gallon.

The owner was on the news and said they sold 10,000 gallons in one day! How cool is that!

I also heard on the news last nite that they are talking about yanking Ethanol out of the gasoline, The Big Ag Corporations will kill that, you'll see the bribe $$ flowing into Washington faster than CoronaVirus!

1930, when you went to buy that brand new Ford Coupe at your local Ford dealer, corn was selling for a buck and a half. In today's money that is $23.18. Yesterday's corn market it was $3.19. In 1930 dollars that would have been $49.30. Or looking at that another way, corn in 1930 at 21 cents would be $3.19 TODAY. YOW!! See how Govt. creates inflation and what it does? Farmers are in a real bind today, especially the ones that were buying land a couple years ago at $13,000/acre. Not good.

Comment

1.27 a gallon here

Comment

.76 cents/litre reg
                                  .96 cents/litre diesel
                                  Twiss Collector Car Parts

Comment

Costco today in VA: $1.63 gln/reg and $1.99 gln/prem. In late March I paid $4.29 gln/reg in Los Angeles. Would be nice if farmers could make more money growing corn for food and animal feed rather than growing corn for ethanol.

Comment

The purpose of this post was to alert everyone that the refineries just might have taken some if not all of the alcohol out of the gas to get rid of some of the overproduction. My truck never ran so good! There may be stations nearby that sell pure gas, but it's still miles from here so I don't bother. The station that was $1.97 is a foreign owned "We pump it for you" where they work out of a shed and sell candy bars and warm soda. The average price around Quakertown is $2.11. Pa had a gas tax increase about 6 years ago, $.30 a gallon, even NJ is cheaper! That $.30 @ was supposed to fix all the roads and they did fix some, but they have a long way to go. Pa has the worst roads in the nation, but not because of a shortage of money! Question? When the last road is fixed, will they remove the tax?
                                      Terry

Comment

The purpose of this post was to alert everyone that the refineries just might have taken some if not all of the alcohol out of the gas to get rid of some of the overproduction. My truck never ran so good!
                                        Sorry for sidestepping that point. I intended to mention that we don't, and likely won't have the option of undiluted gasoline here in most of California. The folks perpetually in charge (due to the laws they passed) have the sense of a cucumber. "It must be better than petroleum". They can't do simple math either.

Comment

The purpose of this post was to alert everyone that the refineries just might have taken some if not all of the alcohol out of the gas to get rid of some of the overproduction. My truck never ran so good! There may be stations nearby that sell pure gas, but it's still miles from here so I don't bother. The station that was $1.97 is a foreign owned "We pump it for you" where they work out of a shed and sell candy bars and warm soda. The average price around Quakertown is $2.11. Pa had a gas tax increase about 6 years ago, $.30 a gallon, even NJ is cheaper! That $.30 @ was supposed to fix all the roads and they did fix some, but they have a long way to go. Pa has the worst roads in the nation, but not because of a shortage of money! Question? When the last road is fixed, will they remove the tax?
                                          Terry
                                          I'm guessing this is a rhetorical question.

TOB

Comment

Originally posted by mshmodela
                                            The collapse of oil is not good news, over 1 millions jobs.... US oil runs on loaned money so some banks will fail less prices go up. Oil industries buy made in Lorain, Ohio steel pipes, that will be affected...For a safe US Oil Industry, prices needs to be about $75/barrel.. not $10..
                                            My argument is not with the oil companies, who must charge what they can to make a profit. Oil's getting difficult to extract. You must drill deeper, go further, build bigger tankers. There's more infrastructure to an oil field than many cities. My son in law is a pilot for ARAMCO. If you have any doubts about that, take a ride past the nearest refinery and count the pipes. My problems are with the politicians who hijacked their position of tax recipient very early in the game. Like Prnce MBS who will take over when the present King of SA is gone, all money funnels to him, not necessarily a bad thing. But does he use it for fast horses and fast cars or is it plowed back into the country? It's nice to be the king! It's nice to be a US congressman who can change the tax code! Or a greedy governor who wants to siphon off some cash for his reelection.
                                            Terry

Comment

$1.39 for regular in central Ohio, been that way for a week or two, too bad I’m not using any gas🤔
                                              Nick

1930 Ford Model A Deluxe Coupe
                                              2002 Corvette C5
                                              2012 Mini Cooper Clubman S
                                              2008 HHR
                                              2008 Audi Q7 Premium 4.2
                                              2006 Hummer H2

Comment

Nothing kills a Marine engine faster than Ethanol, or small motors, chain saws, weed trimmers, etc.

I'd suggest getting a couple of Ethanol testers. Outboard marine dealers have them. Or you can buy them off of Amazon and I think Auto Zone has them. They don't cost much. Toss one in your car keep one in your tool box. Takes the guess work out. I found that a local Casey's station that the manager told me had pure gas in 87 Octane was not correct as it was Ethanol. The Casey's in Brimfield, Illinois down by Peoria does sell pure gasoline and it is marked on the pump. I think it was 20 or 25 cents a gallon more than the E-10.

I use it often just to keep them honest. I did find one station that had gasoline marked 'no-alcohol' and the price was 80 cents higher than the cheapo crap gas. When I tested it, it was E-10 Ethanol. The station was cheating. A call to Springfield fixed that the State of Illinois USDA came down on them pretty hard.

https://www.marinepartssource.com/et...CABEgKXT_D_BwE

Comment

If you live near a small airport, you should be able to buy 100 Octane aircraft gasoline there. FAA doesn't like alcohol in airplane fuel.

Comment