Battery Cable Gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Cable Gauge

I am planning on installing a electrical shutoff switch. I presently have some SAE #2 cable available but reading Brattons catalog they advertise a #1 Battery Cable. If I am correct in that the #1 is larger then my #2, is it necessary? This is for a 6 Volt System with Generator.

Cape
    The proper spec is a #1 sized cable so i would use that.
    Can you get away with a #2 probably but why!
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

We used to buy from NAPA 0 and 00 gauge for 6 volt systems and apply our own copper ends. However, 2/0 , 1/0 , and 1 gauge are larger conductors than 2 for higher amperages and cable length . Using a quality battery cutoff switch which is suggested for an A, one may need to assemble cables to suit switch location.

Comment

Car battery cables can be assembled to your gauge, length desired, and end connections desired from several sources on EBay. When I wire in a floor cut-out, I order my wire from these sources. Incidentally, a very good way to wire a cut-out is in the ground wire to the frame and then a second wire from that same frame bolt to the engine bell housing. Kind of like wearing a belt and suspenders but it does give a good ground. Positive ground of course.
        Last edited by BudP; 09-22-2017, 09:57 PM. Reason: Added additional info.

Comment

With oo cables, you could arc weld something, if it broke on the ROAD!!!
          Dad Zap

Comment

speaking of welding, and this is totally off topic, you can weld if you put 2 12V batteries in series. This might save someone's butt someday......

Comment

• BILL WILLIAMSON
              BILL WILLIAMSON commented
              Editing a comment
              And a BIG UGLY arc welder runs a starter REALLY FAST!
              Bill Dangerous

Related Topics

Collapse

• Soapy
            No Power - Bad New Cable?
            by Soapy
            I bought a new show quality battery cable in April, and I haven't driven the car more than 10 miles since then. I bought a new battery at the same time. Started the about a month ago and backed it out of the garage and made a short tour of our neighborhood.

Tonight, I went to start it and there was nothing. No lights, horn or starter. I thought that the battery was dead. If I'm not careful,...
            08-05-2020, 12:17 AM
          • popsjohn
            Cut off switch wire routing
            by popsjohn
            https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...1486#post71486
            How were the wires routed for this cut off switch installation? I am good at following instructions but not good at solving problems. Some detailed specifics would be appreciated
            05-11-2020, 07:55 AM
          • Mickey
            Battery cable??
            by Mickey
            At a local battery/alternator/generator shop I ask if they had 6v battery cables. They said they can make any length and there is no difference in 6v or 12v cables. I argued a little and gave up. What say ye?
            12-07-2017, 05:18 PM
          • Fred S
            Slow cranking when engine is warm
            by Fred S
            My 30 Model A is stock, except for a voltage regulator, 5.5 head, led tail lights, and a master disconnect. It normally leaps to life after sitting in my garage, usually with no choke needed. When driving, the ammeter soon descends to +2 amps. After a 45 mph run of around an hour, and then sitting anywhere between briefly to a half hour, often the engine cranks really slowly. It seems like the battery...
            06-24-2018, 08:23 PM
          • Adog
            Battery disconnect switch question
            by Adog
            Ok, just received a new battery disconnect switch. Going to mount it on seat riser on 1929 closed cab pickup, 6 volt, positive ground with 6 volt alternator. Instructions say to install it in the circuit between the battery and the starter(negative battery cable). I think it would be better to install in the positive side of battery going to frame ground. What say you, going to use OO battery cab...
            02-12-2020, 06:03 PM
          • Rumbler
            Photo of early (square starter switch) battery cable Design 2
            by Rumbler
            In the RG&JS Area 2 page 2-4 (shown below) it describes the battery cable Design 2 for the square switch as having the switch end terminal tab folded downward at 90 degrees to the end of the cable. Does anyone have a photo of this cable installed on a switch? Is it simply a straight cable terminal tab bent downward? It seems like this would make it very difficult to install the nut on the starter...
            04-13-2020, 10:52 PM
          • slammin
            Battery disconnect switch ratings
            by slammin
            While I'm recovering from foot surgery, I'm planning projects for the Model A. I want to put a battery disconnect switch in the floor between the front seats. All my research finds I should use at least a #2 gauge cable. I've found an outfit that will make up insulated cables. Now checking the switches, Brattons is the only vendor to list the ratings, 40 amps at 6 volts. Is that enough to handle the...
            03-25-2018, 12:58 AM
          • MikeK
            Rebuilding an original ignition cable.
            by MikeK
            Yeah, that long springy thing from the dizzy to the popout switch. Even if you just use it for looks, without the original popout switch there is quite a bit of heat exposure. Not just any type of replacement wire inside will do. Remember whatever you put inside that popout cable should be capable of surviving repeated heat cycles and withstand 212º+F (100º+C) if you overheat (Never!).
            11-18-2017, 07:30 PM
          • Jedmundcars
            Ground Cable (Again)
            by Jedmundcars
            I want to add the ground cable from my positive ground to my engine (bellhousing). I have looked but can't find the tech thread on it. I'm looking to see what length I may need. I may be off base but I think it may help my overall electrical system. Call me out if I'm barking up the wrong tree. Thanks....
            11-04-2019, 08:12 PM
          • Mitch
            Ignition / Pop Out Aftermarket and original Electrolock, Armored cable
            by Mitch
            A common issue with intermittent drivability and all out no start conditions can be traced back to the ignition switch. Originally Ford used the pop out style switch, which also served as their anti theft device. Over the years many cars have had the original pop outs replaced by a conventional style switch. Many of these newer replacement switches are cheaply made and can really drive you bonkers...
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 2 photos.
            03-20-2018, 08:08 AM
          Working...
          X