Changing the tranny oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing the tranny oil

Does anybody do or suggest doing the kerosene flush when changing the oil in the transmission? We believe the car currently has the incorrect oil in it, & we are planning to use the 600W

Mine has some kind of dark goo in it dating back probably to the 40s or 50s so I am wondering what to do as well. It is really thick but not quite honey thick but then I don't know if I will cause other problems by flushing it out, maybe just drain it and ad new oil once it is drained down for several days.

Comment

When it comes to flushing out any gear box, I believe in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it til it is" theory. If in draining the current oil you find metal chunks then maybe flush it with a magnetic plug, but if it is just the metallic sheen, then no. I don't think it needs to be cleaned out of the old oil, just drain and refill with your favorite liquid.
      You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

, where I respectfully disagree with a guy I have a lot of respect for. For a few years, I was a pilot, had my own airplane and was very interested in the maintenance of which. We changed engine oil at 50 hrs. When we changed the oil, we caught a sample at mid steam, Not the beginning or the end, But the middle of the flow. That sample was sent off to a laboratory for a metal analysis. If it came back with high amounts of metals in it, we changed the schedule to every twenty five hrs. Why because the engine was self destructing. It was literally eating itself and how was it doing it? By the invisible trash that was swirling around in the oil. The answer, Change the oil more often. A "metallic sheen" in the oil of any piece of machinery would cause me to panic. Clean, fresh oil is the only kind I will have. The only difference between metallic contaminants and sand is the sand is brittle and will crush finer.
        Terry

Comment

Just drain and refill like the others said. If you have that much metal in there to feel it needs a flush then it needs an overhaul. If it is milky from water we'll refill with ATF, do a few laps and then drain and refill. ATF is a detergent that will clean out the shake. We also use ATF In an engine if the oil is milky. Cleans it right out.
          3 ~ Tudor's
          Henry Ford said
          "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

So, running the engine with straight atf for a short while won’t hurt it?

Comment

Here's my favorite tale for people worried about oil grades for transmissions .Fom “Drive Around the World” by J-C Baudot and J Seguela in their 2 CV in 1960... they recount running out of gear box oil in the Chilean desert “... we are shocked to find not a drop of oil remains in the gear box[transmission] ... to crown disaster we have no spare oil ..we try to sleep.. at about midnight an ageless Chilean is examining the car. He has a sack slung on his shoulder. We explain our dilemma. Suddenly he grins, opens his sack, takes out a dozen bananas, carefully peels them and one by one stuffs them into the gear box. With this improvised lubricant we manage the next 300 kilometres even changing gear without grating.
              Last edited by johnbuckley; 04-20-2020, 03:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Sea/Tac View Post
                So, running the engine with straight atf for a short while won’t hurt it?
                We run them for about 15 min or so in the bay. Sometimes if it is real bad we'll do it twice
                3 ~ Tudor's
                Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Originally posted by johnbuckley View Post
                  Here's my favorite tale for people worried about oil grades for transmissions .Fom “Drive Around the World” by J-C Baudot and J Seguela in their 2 CV in 1960... they recount running out of gear box oil in the Chilean desert “... we are shocked to find not a drop of oil remains in the gear box[transmission] ... to crown disaster we have no spare oil ..we try to sleep.. at about midnight an ageless Chilean is examining the car. He has a sack slung on his shoulder. We explain our dilemma. Suddenly he grins, opens his sack, takes out a dozen bananas, carefully peels them and one by one stuffs them into the gear box. With this improvised lubricant we manage the next 300 kilometres even changing gear without grating.
                  John that is an old used car trick to get rid of noises, but usually it is mixed with some syrupy type oil. Full of just bananas 🍌 I can see it
                  3 ~ Tudor's
                  Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Bananas ?
                    A story from when I was young. We sold an early motor home which was nothing but a huge echo chamber. It had quite a gear howl. I laid under that thing 3 times trying to quiet it. All I managed to do was to change the speed when the howl started/stopped. So we called and the factory rep [ Jim] came by. We went for a ride. Across the street was a little local grocery store, Jim disappeared for a few minutes and walked in the shop with a bag of bananas. Everybody got bananas to eat and told to save the peels. He sliced then up and slid them into that little hole in the rear cover. We then went for a ride and the more we drove the quieter that noise got. He just his finger to his lips as he left and as to what to say to the customer. I just shook my head but the truck never came back for the noise again.

Comment

ATF as stated. A firefighter friend of mine use to add a qt. of ATF to his engine oil just before he changed oil. Ran it for ten minutes and did the oil change. He loved to show the clean oil on the dip stick between oil changes. Chap

Comment

Reminder that not all "600w" is the same. Most appears to be modern SAE 140 sold by the vendors though some say it's closer to the original 600w which was very thick. See other threads herein for recommendations / experiences such as modern 1200, 1500, SAE 250 for vintage cars, not SAE 250 racing gear lube which has additives.
                        Last edited by plyfor; 04-20-2020, 10:18 AM.

Comment