No announcement yet.

If it's not one thing, it's another....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If it's not one thing, it's another....

I recently spent 3 weeks rewiring my "new" 1930 Town Sedan name Jethro (if you saw pictures, you'd understand the name). Jethro is pretty modified in the sense that it doesn't have a Model A engine, but it has a 39 transmission and a Model A rear end, hydraulic brakes, A/C, radio, CB Radio, ETC. ETC.

It took a very long time to try to wire everything while making it look like it belonged. First spin out of the garage I took it about 50 miles away to a friend for him to charge the AC (replaced the condenser as well). Shortly after getting on the highway, I started to hear a slight high pitched whining noise. Got to my usual cruising speed of 58 MPH and it was too loud, so I slowed down to 50-52 and it became quieter, but still prominent. As I was trying to figure out where it was coming from, I could tell it was coming from under the rear seat...

I figured whatever damage was done, was done. I got home and called my brother to confirm my worst fears (he's a way better mechanic than I am) and he agreed it was probably the rear end, but told me to drive the car over so he could listen. We went down the highway about a mile with him driving, and then me driving, with both of us listening all over the car. It was apparent to both of us that the whining, "singing", noise was coming from the rear end. He told me to take the slow way home and to park it.

Looks like my next adventure is to pull the rear end. Too bad it couldn't have happened when I pulled the rear end 2 other times- to replace the u-joint, and then another time to replace the rear main seal on the 2.8.

Wish me luck as I have tried to find someone to rebuild it. Nobody really feels up to the task of rebuilding a rear end. Apparently its a tedious, and annoying task on a Model A.

After so many fixes on this car, I continuously find myself saying "Jethro giveth, and Jethro taketh away". When one thing is finished, it leads to another thing that needs fixing.
    Last edited by Jordan; 04-15-2020, 09:43 PM.

That’s tough! Wish you had a better trial run, but it could have always been worse. Luckily you made it back home without the need for a rollback. Have patience, you will find the help you need. Maybe someone on here can point you in the right direction

Comment

"After so many fixes on this car, I continuously find myself saying "Jethro giveth, and Jethro taketh away". When one thing is finished, it leads to another thing that needs fixing."

Don't know why, some cars are like that. After all you have done, you know the car inside out, keep at it and you will have a reliable great car.

Comment

Sorry to hear that Jordan. PM sent
        4~ Tudor's
        1~ Coupe

Henry Ford said,
        "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Jordan, if it does not have an A engine, what kind of power plant do you have??? juz curious. btw, i have an almost new r&p. ken

Comment

BEFORE I jumped in to pull the rear end I'd put it on a lift or jack stands and listen from underneath. Could be a rear wheel bearing or something else easy. JMO
            Paul in CT

Comment

Jordan Sorry to hear. I am getting ready to re-build a differential and have been reading Tom Endy's Article on how to do it. It seems pretty straight forward, and I am thinking it will take me a day or two. Right now I am focused on Fenders, likely won't get started until June. If you haven't read his writing on the topic, I would suggest it is a must read, there are several updates and additional information on this topic at the same place.

Document how it goes, would love to learn what you discover.
              Jon.

Carpe Diem

Comment

Use care when setting the pinion preload.
                I do it by feel, but for those who use torque wrenches, I've seen them use FOOT POUNDS instead of INCH POUNDS.

Comment

Same as Tom W on the pinion.(by feel) Endy's article is great but there's also a common sense type approach that can be used without some of the special tools and methods

https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...rear-end-stuff
                  4~ Tudor's
                  1~ Coupe

Henry Ford said,

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Did you drain the rear end lube and see what it looks likes ? One can use an applicator or finger (if thin enough) to feel around inside the drain hole for sediment, etc. and see if you have thicker than 90- 140 wt. gear lube in there.

Comment

I had a customer come in for a rear job and it was the speedo cable howling.. lol... They should all be that easy, right
                      4~ Tudor's
                      1~ Coupe

Henry Ford said,

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

You're Right! Tedious and a real PITA! And It requires special tooling, namely a spring spreader, an axle housing clamp, a torque wrench that reads in inch lbs, and some other stuff. The parts cost about $800, 4 bearings, 3 cups,(1 is a double) ring and pinion, gaskets and what not. Sounds bad already? Several people in here have done them and we'll help you with it if you so choose. Now the other way! Send it out to a pro. Eight miles from where I sit, Is a rear rebuilder, Vanderly's in Ottsville, Pa ! What he charges, I don't know, but it's a lot. And the shipping charges would be horrendous
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Parker View Post
                          Jordan, if it does not have an A engine, what kind of power plant do you have??? juz curious. btw, i have an almost new r&p. ken
                          It currently has a 2.8 v6 out of a mustang II. But that is likely getting changed to a pinto soon. Still affordable and reliable. Would love to have a Model A engine in it, but then I'd also want a $3000 overdrive etc. It's just what's affordable right now. The ring & pinion in it is a 4:11. Hoping it's still good. To both my brother and I, we think it's probably a pinion bearing that's gone bad.

Comment

We can coach you through it here. Don't get scared off by some of the comments
                            4~ Tudor's
                            1~ Coupe

Henry Ford said,

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post
                              We can coach you through it here. Don't get scared off by some of the comments
                              I appreciate it. But I know the limits of my comfort ability and I would rather pay to have it done right the first time. I don't mind doing other things, but this is just out of my comfort zone.

Comment

Understandable, keep us posted on the outcome

Stay safe
                                4~ Tudor's
                                1~ Coupe

Henry Ford said,

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan View Post

It currently has a 2.8 v6 out of a mustang II. But that is likely getting changed to a pinto soon. Still affordable and reliable. Would love to have a Model A engine in it, but then I'd also want a $3000 overdrive etc. It's just what's affordable right now. The ring & pinion in it is a 4:11. Hoping it's still good. To both my brother and I, we think it's probably a pinion bearing that's gone bad.
                                  Just a head up: I had and sold a '31 coupe with a Pinto 2000 (another prior owner beautifully built car) but mated to the original A tranny. The engine revved too high for the tranny to shift smoothly so perhaps yours is or will be different. My current SW has the F150 OD that's easy to drive mated to the stock A eng. with modified components.
                                  Attached Files
                                  Last edited by plyfor; 04-16-2020, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Sorry if I scared anyone! That wasn't my intention! I gave a pretty complete, yet a general overview of what the job entails. In other words I could have made the description worse. The reason I am brutally honest about these things is because I want to make you grit your teeth and clench your jaw and get into it 100%, determined to do it and do it right. It's really not a bad job, but it does take patience and determination. You will not accomplish this on a weekend. Please accept our help and advice and at least give it the old college try. BTW, A bad pinion bearing was what went wrong with my rear too.
                                    Terry
                                    Last edited by Terry, NJ; 04-16-2020, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry, NJ View Post
                                      Sorry if I scared anyone! That wasn't my intention! I gave a pretty complete, yet a general overview of what the job entails. In other words I could have made the description worse. The reason I am brutally honest about these things is because I want to make you grit your teeth and clench your jaw and get into it 100%, determined to do it and do it right. It's really not a bad job, but it does take patience and determination. You will not accomplish this on a weekend. Please accept our help and advice and at least give it the old college try. BTW, A bad pinion bearing was what went wrong with my rear too.
                                      Terry
                                      I appreciate the honesty! Doing it myself was not even an option to begin with. I am in the process of moving and it's just a cluster. Would rather have someone do it who can focus on it and get it done.

What type of noise was your pinion bearing making?

Comment

Originally posted by plyfor View Post

Just a head up: I had and sold a '31 coupe with a Pinto 2000 (another prior owner beautifully built car) but mated to the original A tranny. The engine revved too high for the tranny to shift smoothly so perhaps yours is or will be different. My current SW has the F150 OD that's easy to drive mated to the stock A eng. with modified components.
                                        I currently have a '39 transmission so if I went with a 2000 it would be perfect for that. But I am going with a 2300 and a C4 auto as it is going to come as a unit already built and road tested by a friend. He is going to put my 39 in a roadster he is building.

Comment