Speedo Cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo Cable

Henry tells me in his "Model A Instruction Book" that I should lube the speedo cable every 5,000 miles. I don't know if mine has ever been lubed but I want to do all "Henry" says. What is the most effective way to perform this vital fete?
    He also tells me that I should lube and re-calibrate the speedo itself every 10,000 miles?? Newby that needs some help!
    Thanks, Phil

If the speedo is working, I would leave it alone, or send it to a professional to have it lubed. The cable on the other hand is easily greased by removing the dash, unscrewing the cable, pulling out the center cable and stuffing it with a moli grease as you shove the cable back into the sleeve.
    You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

• Mitch
      Mitch commented
      Editing a comment
      Times 2 on the WIZ

I give the housing a squirt of oil, then slide the inner cable through some grease in my palm as I push it in the housing.

Make sure the housing is properly routed and doesn't have any kinks.

Comment

Make sure the speedo cable frame bracket is present and that it is mounted properly to the top of the rail.. Many cars have these missing which causes the cable to hang close to the exhaust
      3 ~ Tudor's
      Henry Ford said
      "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

If the speedometer is tight to turn, then I remove it from the housing and lubricate the bushings and gears. I use an Exacto knife and some rare earth magnets to remove the oval cover to clean out the old yellow hard grease, then give it a few drops of motor oil and some Mystik JT-6 High Temp red grease. I put a drop of oil on each bushing and gear.

The last picture shows a speedometer I bought at a swap meet because the numbers were perfect, but a bushing had come out of place and was picked up by the speed dial magnet, which then jammed and snapped the shaft holding the wheel. These pictures are small and low quality because I had to use Google to go to photobucket to retrieve them, as photobuck now holds pictures for $400 a year ransom, if you want to see them as they were downloaded.
        Last edited by Tom Wesenberg; 09-22-2017, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Thanks all. I really appreciate all of the pointers.
          I have all of the support clamps in place. Do I have to disconnect the cable at the drive line to pull the shaft out to lube it?
          Sounds like more than my capabilities (or patience) on taking the speedo apart, Tom.
          Last edited by Fixitphil; 09-22-2017, 11:05 AM. Reason: Adding

Comment

• Mitch
            Mitch commented
            Editing a comment
            post #2 remove the dash to pull it out the top

disconnect the battery first
            remove the hold down clamp on the inside of the firewall this will give you more play when pulling the dash back to access the cable

• birdguy45
            birdguy45 commented
            Editing a comment
            Newbie question: since I'm already working under the truck, can I pull the cable thru the sheath from the transmission end to lube it? TIA!

Thanks Tom and Mitch

Comment

Newbie question: since I'm already working under the truck, can I pull the cable thru the sheath from the transmission end to lube it? TIA!

long answer short,No

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Bill in NJ
              Speedo not working at all
              by Bill in NJ
              Looking for advice or article on what to check first in getting it working. Any ideas ? Thanks in advance.
              10-28-2017, 11:32 AM
            • DaWizard
              Part Warning
              by DaWizard
              Since this is the second speedo cable I have purchased from Moss, I was informed they get them from Snyder's, so I am sending out this warning. The internal cable for the 28/29 is too short if you use the stock outer cable!!

It will fit but when pushed all the way into the depth of the turtle, it is short in making it all the way into the speedo square and you need it all the way into
              09-18-2017, 09:30 PM
            • Beauford
              Speedo not moving...
              by Beauford
              Ok so I went for a short cruise as my vehicle is not DMV approved yet. The rebuilt speed does not work. It bench tested beautifully with a drill. I insert cable in speedo first and then the underside. I have rear on jackstands and it will go for a second and its like the cable jumps out. I'm assuming the speedo end. Any suggestions?
              11-22-2017, 09:17 PM
            • Reconnoiter
              '34 Speedo Cable Routing Help
              by Reconnoiter
              Hi, new member here....I am in the tail end of restoration of my 34 Fordor and I need some help with routing the speedo cable before I start closing up the floorboards.

Does the cable go through the same grommet in the frame as the grounding strap and out the same location as the fuel and battery cable? Or does it go just like I have it, underneath the frame edge and anti-chatter rod?...
              02-16-2018, 01:41 PM
            • Bobsie
              Inside speedometer cable too short?
              by Bobsie
              Trying to get my speedometer working on my '31 Vicky. I assembled everything took a drive, speedometer worked for a couple of miles then quit. Changed nothing except to install a speedometer cable ordered from Mike's.

Troubleshooting, took the cable off the speedometer in the dash, a quick drive and clearly the inside cable spins. Took the speedometer out and ran it with my drill and...
              09-21-2018, 02:21 PM
            • pAAt
              Speedometer cable lube
              by pAAt
              If it don't rain, I'd like to put the speedometer cable on the truck. What lube should I use ? Atf ? Thanks, Pat
              06-21-2019, 08:31 AM
            • Aretino
              Pop out cable clamp
              by Aretino
              Does the pop out cable clamp that is secured by a head nut serve any significant purpose other than holding the cable?
              06-13-2019, 05:17 PM
            • Jedmundcars
              Speedometer Suddenly Siezed
              by Jedmundcars
              Took Clarabelle out the other day and during the ride the speedo quit. I checked it out and found broken inner cable. I ordered a new one and I thought I should check the speedo for fear of seizing. Cut about 3" off of the broken cable to test it and sure enough can't move it barehanded and would hate to use a drill for fear of tearing it up.
              I don't trust myself to disassemble it but thought...
              07-19-2019, 03:16 PM
            • Beauford
              Speedo...
              by Beauford
              Any way to see if a speedo works out of the car? Got a good deal on one and just came in the mail today. Original '28-29...
              05-17-2017, 08:06 PM
            • KB9JLO
              Dash from my car...
              by KB9JLO
              There is still life here. Albeit slow. Working on water outlet. Hope to have it installed this weekend.
              I took the dash out to start the wiring. It had a 30 amp ammeter but the screws on the back would spin when you tried to unfasten the wires! So I ordered a new one from Snyders. It was loose in the dash and the needle was stuck at the bottom. I emailed them and they said that they fall off...
              11-30-2018, 07:54 PM
            Working...
            X