crazy gas fix from years gone by.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crazy gas fix from years gone by.....

I was working on a car last week and I looked at the gas tank I through the filler hole and with tank empty saw a light bulb at the bottom. I though great.. how am I getting that one out! I had to laugh and then looked closer and you can see the photos... I've seen lots of fixes but this one takes the cake!

If it would have had wires to it it one would have been a bomb and two a lighted gas gauge!
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Ingenuity at work ! ! ! ! .
    Paul in CT

Comment

Hey Larry are you working on Wiz's car?:rolling It's amazing,, so was it working??
      3 ~ Tudor's
      Henry Ford said
      "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Looks like we need to start a farmer fix hall of fame, and that can be the first entry. Neat fix though!

Comment

Hey, whatever floats yer gauge!!
          You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

• Mitch
            Mitch commented
            Editing a comment
            Agree it must have worked!!

Originally posted by Mitch View Post
          Hey Larry are you working on Wiz's car?:rolling It's amazing,, so was it working??
          OK.. not sure who that is...? This one belongs to a fellow in Tulsa. Just about done and looked at the gas tank and the light bulb came on....well.. almost!

It gave me a good laugh for sure. Have to get on here more. sorry for being AWOL!

Larry

Comment

• Mitch
            Mitch commented
            Editing a comment
            It's the fellow that posted above this one. Lol

• DaWizard
            DaWizard commented
            Editing a comment
            *Raises hand* Me and my rolling experiment.

That 1157 or maybe it's an 1156 looks pretty clean.. i wonder how long its been in there??
          3 ~ Tudor's
          Henry Ford said
          "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

It must have been a 6V lite bulb or it wouldn't have worked in a stock Model A Ford!!!

Yowsa...........

Comment

• Mitch
              Mitch commented
              Editing a comment
              TRUE DAT!

That is definately a new one. Strangest fix I have ever ran into was a draglink replaced with a piece of pipe with six wraps of #9 wire ran through the pipe around the pitman arm ball and spindle steering arm ball. Not sure I would have wanted to ride in that death trap. Based on the amount of wear on the wires it was driven that way for some time other than a get me home fix. Rod
            Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Tom Wesenberg
              Warning for Storing or Carrying Spare Gas
              by Tom Wesenberg
              I always try to only buy the better gas without corn crap for use in my antique cars and small engines, but even the better gas has a very different vapor pressure than the good gas we bought in the 60's and 70's. Here is a 2 1/2 gallon plastic gas container, which is half full with 2 cycle mix for some of my small engines. Yesterday I had to move the jug to the shade, as I was afraid of getting too...
              08-03-2017, 01:20 PM
            • KB9JLO
              Where do you put it?
              by KB9JLO
              I will be picking up my A next week and most likely it will be going into our garage. That probably won't be the long term location... Working out what to do in the back yard.
              Which gets to my question. What do you guys do? My concern is storing the car - with gas in it. House is a bilevel with a gas hot water heater in there, as well as the furnace.
              I desperately want to see the engine...
              09-14-2018, 10:33 AM
            • Leo
              What Success Has or Did Redi-Strip Have with Gas Tanks?
              by Leo
              I know this is kind of an odd way to start a post. Back about 30 years ago when I began the restoration of my 1930 coupe there was a Redi-Strip near Allentown PA. I had them do several of my parts including the gas tank. The gas tank was installed in the car without any further work done to it except a good slosh with gasoline. Moving forward to now, I'm running with a pencil type filter on the...
              03-19-2018, 08:44 AM
            • slammin
              Hard starts
              by slammin
              My tudor is parked in my heated shop, never below 42 degrees. I only start the 29 once every few weeks, take it out and put 3 or 4 miles on her. The last few times shes been tough to start and doesn't want keep running until I make a few attempts. It smells like it is running rich, but tends to backfire a few times before the idle smooths out. Once out on the road, I get a lot of vibration from the...
              01-27-2018, 10:31 AM
            • Mickey
              Gas guage, maybe silly maybe not
              by Mickey
              I've never seen it before so I've got to ask. It there supposed to be gas visible in the little gas guage window?
              05-01-2018, 03:06 PM
            • Johnnymo
              Gas tank flame arrestor
              by Johnnymo
              Tell me guys how many people use the flame arrestor (tank filler screen) ? I've asked about it at our club meetings and out of 25 people may be 5 people use them, and about 10 didn't know what they were. I always have one in my tank. So what's your opinion? With modern gas pumps I think we are safe with static electricity....
              05-24-2017, 08:45 AM
            • Tom Wesenberg
              Who Needs Gas Tank Clamps
              by Tom Wesenberg
              Seems like someone is always needing these tank clamps, even though the seller calls them "bushings". Too bad the bolts are gone.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1929-1928-1...%26sd%3D332517...
              01-15-2018, 08:30 PM
            • P. Crosby
              Gas Tank Face Finish
              by P. Crosby
              On a 31 Standard Tudor is the face of the gas tank, the inside visible portion, glossy or satiny?
              04-09-2018, 09:41 PM
            • Beauford
              Gas tank blues...
              by Beauford
              So when I received a gas tank I purchased I really didn't give it a good once over since the deal was done and guy said it had no dents and was a really nice tank. Got it back from sand blaster....what a waste of money. Huge whammy in the top corner. Nasty welds on upper corners of dash. Looks like fuel valve was snapped or cut off so there is a mess there....nobody will work on a tank correct due...
              07-18-2017, 06:44 PM
            • Supergnat
              28 Fordor Leatherback gas tank installation problem
              by Supergnat
              I am attempting to install a replacement gas tnk in my Oct 28 Fordor Leatherback. I have the tank bolted to the cowl but am unable to fit the firewall piece that holds the sediment bulb and terminal box in place. The opening is about 1/4 inch too small. Does anyone have a suggestion to resolve this problem. I This panel was difficult to remove when I was trying to get the old tank out. I'm afrais...
              05-25-2017, 01:52 PM
            Working...
            X