Rebuilding Lesson Learned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuilding Lesson Learned

I have stated my story before on this site. My 1930 Roadster was purchased new by my grandfather. My dad pulled it into a field on his new property in VT in 1955. In 1966 I pulled it out of the field and started the rebuild then used it from 1968 to today.

Well I entered into a large car show here in FL. On the judging, when they were done with my car I asked about what they thought. The answer was that it is a very nice car, but loses a great number of points for having replacement fenders. I told them they were the original and one of them just looked at me and said they are not and walked away. Fortunately one of the judges took me to a front fender and said "feel along here under the bead on the fender. An original fender would have a saw tooth feeling from the parting line of the forging die." I told him about being 14 years old and working almost a week to file and sand that all down to a smooth radius on the work bench. He laughed and said that, unfortunately, I could never get these accepted as original. He did give me credit for doing all of the body work with a lead alloy and no bondo in the car though.

So I learned after all these years that this is probably not the only thing I did back then to improve the car, that takes away from the originality.

Still love the car, and keep all the original parts that I can.

A lesson learned but it is just part of the history of that family car, something to laugh about. It is so neat that you have had the roadster and drove it for so long.

Comment

Great story. I like the fact that you are keeping the original parts even though they may cost points if judged. I restored my Shelby and I restored and used the original parts even though some are not perfect but very presentable. I made my choice and I will stick by it even though I lost a few points when I had it judged. By the way, you don't have to worry about fit with original parts like you do with repro parts.

TOB

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Roadster Rich
        Original Roadster Parts
        by Roadster Rich
        Just spent a full month clearing out my parents home, workshop and garage to sell the house (Mom passed away in December) and I got a real treat in the garage. Up above the joists I found these treasures. I remember when I worked on getting the car restored for me to use in high school and college, we trailered it from VT to MA to LaBarron Bonney to have it re-upholstered and a new roof. When we...
        06-20-2019, 04:42 PM
      • Great Lakes Greg
        A good car for fine point restoration
        by Great Lakes Greg
        Greetings, My first post here having migrated over from ******** for something new and to get away from "what kind of oil should I use".
        I have just purchased a rust free Special Coupe that was last registered in 1961. It is a time capsule with about 90% of it's original parts intact. If not for an ugly blue repaint, I would register it in original class in Dearborn next year. I did...
        10-14-2018, 06:24 PM
      • Leo
        Model A's In Commercial's and The Movies?
        by Leo
        I was in the car wash yesterday and noticed a guy with a nice mid 80's Mercedes coupe. We struck up a conversation about the car and he said that he was on his way to a commercial shoot in NYC. He went on to say that he has this car registered with an agency that supplies vehicles to photographers who want them for commercials. He also told me that the typical fee for using his car was $1000 for a...
        12-04-2018, 07:47 AM
      • Mitch
        Known Dangerous Parts for Judging
        by Mitch
        This question stems from the other thread about reusing an original wiring harness for competition. Gary Karr brought up the point that I had mentioned about an old original harness being a fire hazard. Are fine point cars forced to use original parts for judging, even though they can be a life threatening item? Two items that come to mind at this moment are the fan blade and the wiring harnesses....
        01-01-2018, 07:01 PM
      • hortmanCAR
        Barn find!!! Need advice!!!!
        by hortmanCAR
        Hello everyone. I’m new to the forum and new to early fords. I own an “EB” and thought that was old but what I found in a barn this past Monday taught me that I’ve not yet gotten into early fords yet. “EB” is short for early bronco.
        I found a 34’ Tudor Sedan that has to be original and untouched. It is in the most unbelievable shape and I immediately became mesmerized by it. It’s...
        04-08-2018, 09:41 PM
      Working...
      X