Battery disconnect switch question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery disconnect switch question

Ok, just received a new battery disconnect switch. Going to mount it on seat riser on 1929 closed cab pickup, 6 volt, positive ground with 6 volt alternator. Instructions say to install it in the circuit between the battery and the starter(negative battery cable). I think it would be better to install in the positive side of battery going to frame ground. What say you, going to use OO battery cables.

It should be in the ground circuit.I have no idea why some tell you to put it in the hot side.Caterpillar,Euclid,International,etc all put them in the ground side.If there is a high amp failure,it will most likely be in the switch itself,or the cables.If the switch fails,and grounds out,if it is on the ground side you just lost your switch.If it's on the hot side,things will cook until something melts enough to break the connection.I've seen those lollipop brackets broken off the motor mounts where people have hung them.

Comment

I connect my cut off switches on the earth (ground to you guys) side of the battery so that when it is off, EVERYTHING is off. If it is put in the starter cable, anything else you might have connected directly to the battery remains active. It may amount to the same thing on your car but I run 12 volts and have things like an accessory power outlet and on one car, electric trailer brakes connected directly to the battery. Putting the switch os the earth side is just like taking a terminal off the battery.

Comment

Ground circuit is the only way to go.

Comment

When I put one on my modern truck they said to put it on the ground so it seems to be a standard way to do it though I have seen them hooked up on the hot side and they worked. The ground is less spectacular to mess with.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith True View Post
            It should be in the ground circuit.I have no idea why some tell you to put it in the hot side.Caterpillar,Euclid,International,etc all put them in the ground side.If there is a high amp failure,it will most likely be in the switch itself,or the cables.If the switch fails,and grounds out,if it is on the ground side you just lost your switch.If it's on the hot side,things will cook until something melts enough to break the connection.I've seen those lollipop brackets broken off the motor mounts where people have hung them.
            I guess I am really confused now. My positive battery terminal cable goes to frame . My negative battery terminal cable goes to starter switch on starter.

Comment

Originally posted by Adog View Post
              I guess I am really confused now. My positive battery terminal cable goes to frame . My negative battery terminal cable goes to starter switch on starter.
              A Model A is a positive ground vehicle/system as originally built by Ford..

Comment

On my son’s 29’ a master kill switch was installed between the battery & the starter. This is the negative cable. When it was off, everything was off. Nothing else is wired up to the battery. We have removed it because we weren’t happy with the installation, but plan to reinstall

Comment

Thanks to all who have replied. I think I will put it on the positive ground frame cable. It would be like the positive side of the battery cable disconnected from the vehicle. I will sleep on it tonight and see if I’m happy with that decision. Thanks again and look forward to any other input.

Comment

Here is our kill switch technical thread.
                    https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...cut-off-switch
                    Yes install it on the frame side (ground) of the battery. Less fireworks that way. On a stock A that would be inline of the positive cable. Good move putting it where it is easily reachable
                    3 ~ Tudor's
                    Henry Ford said
                    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Originally posted by Adog View Post
                      A lot of people naturally assume that the positive side is "hot" and have a hard time wrapping their head around the fact that in a positive ground system, the negative side is actually "hot". Ground and frame are synonymous.
                      Member of Walla Walla Sweet A's - Model A club

Comment

Originally posted by Bill G View Post

A lot of people naturally assume that the positive side is "hot" and have a hard time wrapping their head around the fact that in a positive ground system, the negative side is actually "hot". Ground and frame are synonymous.
                        Right Bill
                        It's best to forget about + or - and think of it as power and ground or hot and ground. Ground being the frame side. Hooking up a charger or jumping you always stay + to + and - to -
                        3 ~ Tudor's
                        Henry Ford said
                        "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post
                          Here is our kill switch technical thread.
                          https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...cut-off-switch
                          Yes install it on the frame side (ground) of the battery. Less fireworks that way. On a stock A that would be inline of the positive cable. Good move putting it where it is easily reachable
                          The Del City or others switches (ColeHersey) are available with long shafts for thick floor boards with carpet etc.

Comment