Rear Backing plates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Backing plates

I am trying to determine just why I can not get the rear hubs on my fully assembled rear backing plates.

When the backing plates are assembled to the rear axle and the brake wedges are fully bottomed out...the hubs will not go on.

I do not want to force them as I probably will not get them off.

Every part was looked at for quality, length, what ever.

The only thing on each backing plate that worries me is that I removed the old worn out tracks and put new ones on.

Brake pads are standard thickness...not oversized BUT one would think so but not.

So my question is this...if any of you are at this point...just what is the diameter of the assembled rear backing plate from brake shoe to brake shoe?

IF the repro tracks are to high, not standard, would that cause the shoes to protrude out just enough to not allow the hubs to go on?

Thanks.

Pluck

Try removing the E-brake shoes and see if the drums slide on then. The thickness of those linings can cause your problem. You should be supporting the vehicle under the axles. If you are on the frame rails remove all 4 the brake rods from the cross shafts
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

You have probably already done this but make sure your brake shoes are totally backed off and retracting properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post
        Try removing the E-brake shoes and see if the drums slide on then. The thickness of those linings can cause your problem. You should be supporting the vehicle under the axles. If you are on the frame rails remove all 4 the brake rods from the cross shafts
        Ahhh...More info...OK...It is just the frame and attached rear end...The E-brake shoes were not installed as of yet when I tried to put the hub on just for fit. Brake rods not hooked up.

Again...just what is the diameter of the assembled rear backing plate from brake shoe to brake shoe?

Pluck

Comment

Originally posted by BNCHIEF View Post
          You have probably already done this but make sure your brake shoes are totally backed off and retracting properly.
          That they were.

Comment

Are these new cast iron drums? They come undersized so they can be trued up on a lathe before install. They are not supposed to be put on right out of the box. Do you have a brake drum gauge? Measure the ID of the drums and then see what the shoes are. The thickness of the shoes from side to side depends on the linings and type. They can all be a little different.
            3 ~ Tudor's
            Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Adding to the above post. These are cheap and good to have. You set the tool to the ID of the drum and then the opposite side checks the shoes.
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 1 photos.
              3 ~ Tudor's
              Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

I believe new drums are supposed to be 11" dia. surfaced. Maybe that's in a book somewhere.

Comment

The centering tool will tell you if the roller track is off, because that will affect the top-to-bottom centering, or in the case of the rears, the front-to-rear.
                  Member of Walla Walla Sweet A's - Model A club

Comment

I believe the new drums come under 11" id. This allows for machining once the hubs are swedged on. After machining they should be right about 10.995/11.005. We still don't know what Pluck is working with since this information was not posted. IF he is installing new drums without resurfacing them then that may be the issue
                    3 ~ Tudor's
                    Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post
                      Are these new cast iron drums? They come undersized so they can be trued up on a lathe before install. They are not supposed to be put on right out of the box. Do you have a brake drum gauge? Measure the ID of the drums and then see what the shoes are. The thickness of the shoes from side to side depends on the linings and type. They can all be a little different.
                      These are original drums, very round and fairly decent thickness.

No I do not have a brake drum gauge...better get one.

Pluck

Comment

Originally posted by Bill G View Post
                        The centering tool will tell you if the roller track is off, because that will affect the top-to-bottom centering, or in the case of the rears, the front-to-rear.
                        Bill,

Does anyone in the club have this tool?

Pluck

Comment

Don K has one. Note that the tool only tells you if you are off and in which direction.
                          Member of Walla Walla Sweet A's - Model A club

Comment

If the shoes were off center you should easily be able to see that. With the axle centered in the hub look behind the drum at the top and the bottom.
                            3 ~ Tudor's
                            Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Stay tuned guys...Got a few things to do before I get back to this...this is driving me nuts but will double check everything again against some different backing plates with ORIGINAL tracks in excelent condition.

Thank you for some great tips!

Pluck

Comment