Question about breaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about breaks

While I have no intention of driving a Model A at highway speeds I do have a question that kinda is in the realm of the subject.

I was reading that the Model B has a top speed of around 80. It also uses mechanical brakes just as the Model A.

Are there brakes the same?
    If not can model B brakes be put on a model A?
    I think it would be reasonable to assume that if the B had such a high speed with mechanical breaks, putting them on an A would be a vast safety improvement given the distractions of today's drivers.

It sure would be scary to drive an A or B at 80 no matter what brakes. You have steering and tires to worry about also. I think the B drums are an inch bigger, but I will be corrected if I missed the mark.
    As far as how distracted today's drivers are, we are doomed no matter what we do to our vintage or modern cars. Society is so caught up in the artificial world of selfies, texting, social media, etc

Texting while driving should have been outlawed when it first started. Now everyone thinks it is the norm

Comment

Properly set up and functioning A brakes will stop you fine even at 80 mph.
      3 ~ Tudor's
      Henry Ford said
      "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Originally posted by tbirdtbird View Post
        It sure would be scary to drive an A or B at 80 no matter what brakes. You have steering and tires to worry about also. I think the B drums are an inch bigger, but I will be corrected if I missed the mark.
        As far as how distracted today's drivers are, we are doomed no matter what we do to our vintage or modern cars. Society is so caught up in the artificial world of selfies, texting, social media, etc

Texting while driving should have been outlawed when it first started. Now everyone thinks it is the norm
        I agree it should be outlawed, or at least some function to voice commands are the only way to text while moving at those speeds

Comment

• BILL WILLIAMSON
          BILL WILLIAMSON commented
          Editing a comment
          When Cops catch some idiot on their cell phone, they should be allowed to step on it & SMASH it!!
          Dad Gruff

Some fellow upgrade to '35 brakes/drums. Supposed to be an improvement. FWIW
        Paul in CT

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• carolinamudwalker
          Hydraulic brakes
          by carolinamudwalker
          Has anyone had any experience with MT Bowling brothers brake kits? I drive my car at a steady 55mph, it is very comfortable at that speed and straight as an arrow with the radial tires. I feel that I am out running my brake system. Part of it is age related. When changing from my modern with a very soft pedal to the model A it takes quit some time to mentally adjust Bottom line I just am not comfortable...
          06-09-2018, 07:53 AM
        • Tom Rode
          Brakes
          by Tom Rode
          OK up to date on most items I wanted to address on the 29 Roadster I bought. Next item to look into is brakes. Mine are, as mentioned by someone here, more suggestion than command. However, having never driven a model A before I have no frame of reference. I know it should not stop like a modern car, but this car is very hard to bring to a stop over 25 MPH. Large amount of pedal pressure yields minimal...
          12-02-2019, 01:14 PM
        • Doctor J
          Front end/brake problems
          by Doctor J
          My 1930 Town sedan was parked for over 9 months. When I got it out to drive, it started right up, but the front end shuttered every time the brakes were applied. I thought some rust had built up. Drove it around for a while, gently riding the brakes and it seemed better. But going down a real steep hill, I applied the brakes and the whole car jumped to the right every time the brakes were applied....
          08-01-2018, 04:29 PM
        • bettlesr
          Flathead Ted's setup with '35 front brakes
          by bettlesr
          Can I use the Ted's front parts I used with the original '30 brakes on my car if I change the front brakes to '35 assemblies or are the modified parts different?
          10-17-2017, 10:58 PM
        • copgib
          Question on Mechanical Brakes
          by copgib
          Since my Model A has only hydraulic brakes on the back and nothing on front, does anyone care to guess what it might cost me in parts to put mechanical brakes on it. Trying to get some idea what my expense would be in parts. Thanks for any help. Hugh
          02-11-2018, 09:50 PM
        • Tom Wesenberg
          Interesting Brief History of Car Brakes
          by Tom Wesenberg
          I did a Google search to see what car first used Disc brakes, and I came across this interesting time period chart for brakes.

http://www.carhistory4u.com/the-last...the-car/brakes
          05-26-2017, 05:53 AM
        • Patrick
          Model A brakes do work
          by Patrick
          I locked them up this morning. Driving into town and going down Main St two young black girls stepped out in front of me. Damn near got them and they gave me a quick dirty look but never missed a step. Common sense in a thing of the past.
          07-25-2020, 10:45 AM
        • copgib
          Mechanical Brakes
          by copgib
          Ok by now everyone knows I am going to put mechanical brakes on my 1930 Model A. I just got home from a 14-hour drive and looked under my car to take some photos of what was left after someone put hydraulic brakes on the back. Any and all input is welcomed, good or bad. Hugh
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 4 photos.
          05-08-2018, 09:01 PM
        • DaWizard
          Strange to me Brakes
          by DaWizard
          Well, I have run across two Model A's with the same type of brakes that I don't know who makes them and why they would even do such a thing.

Unfortunately I have not pulled the drums to see how they actually adjust, nor have I taken pictures.

But here is a description; The differences I can see are there is an external "jam nut" on the 7/16 adjuster shaft. There
          06-29-2018, 01:09 PM
        • Captndan
          Brakes
          by Captndan
          I can’t remember. Who was recommended for rebuilding brakes?
          03-24-2019, 09:26 AM
        Working...
        X