Inserts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inserts

If you're going to have an engine rebuilt all the way why would you use babbit instead of insert bearings?

Well, I for one would not do inserts because usually if you do inserts you would need to pressurize the oiling system, and the Model A engine is a gravity feed system. Also, after just having drilled through a babbit I have found that there is about 1/8" worth of babbit material which for me is more material than an insert.

Now, I am sure others will chime in on this, and just to be clear, I believe a well installed babbit will last longer and take more abuse than an insert.

It's my opinion, and I'm stickin to it!
    You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

Well, Wiz, I have to differ. You actually don't need pressure fed bearings with inserts (thankfully!). Nearly none of the inserted motors out there done by AER, or Bert's, Dave Gerrold, or anyone are pressure fed. The gravity feed system seems primitive but somehow it does work. The hydrodynamic wedge helps us out, too

I have nothing against a really decent babbitt job, except for 2 issues that won't go away:

1. Babbitting is an old school skill and it is harder and harder to find people who really know how to do it correctly. The temperature must be just right, etc.

2. I had a babbitt job on my touring done by a highly skilled babbitt guy, but at 10K the thrust cracked out on the rear main. Oops, now what. Maybe he wasn't that good. Maybe babbitt is the wrong metal for thrust. After all, there is just a tiny amount (LOL) of vibration in an A motor.
      It was a shame because the caps O/W looked super. But, off the motor went for inserts, which were not available 30 yrs ago when I first restored the car
      Last edited by tbirdtbird; 09-12-2017, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DaWizard View Post
        Well, I for one would not do inserts because usually if you do inserts you would need to pressurize the oiling system, and the Model A engine is a gravity feed system. Also, after just having drilled through a babbit I have found that there is about 1/8" worth of babbit material which for me is more material than an insert.

Now, I am sure others will chime in on this, and just to be clear, I believe a well installed babbit will last longer and take more abuse than an insert.

I respectfully say false!
        3 ~ Tudor's
        Henry Ford said
        "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• Mitch
          Mitch commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh and Good Morning WIZ

Did you have your Jet Fuel?

I seriously doubt that. Inserts have been proven to be much better.

Comment

My Ron Kelley engine has inserts.
          Alaskan A's
          Antique Auto Mushers of Alaska
          Model A Ford Club of America
          Model A Restorers Club
          Antique Automobile Club of America
          Mullins Owners Club

Comment

I have to disagree I have had both. Good babbitt is good but very hard to find. I have been doing inserts since the 80ts.
            just sold one of my cars with 26,000 trouble free miles of touring. The oiling system will work just fine.

Comment

For those that have not seen the insert engine info thread in the tech section here is the link to it. The first post has a video from AER about his insert motors

https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...ne-information

I am always adding new tech info to that forum so it may be worthwhile to breeze through the pages there for new content.. We are also adding onto existing threads that have already been there. For instance Tom just added some more thermostat info onto the bottom of the thermostat thread
              3 ~ Tudor's
              Henry Ford said
              "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment