Ford tractor 8N

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford tractor 8N

I found a '52 8N for sale. It looks pretty good but the owner says there's water in the oil. My question is I have a spare engine for my Tudor that's running pretty good, so could I swap my model A engine for the tractor engine? I read they are the same but will mine have all the same mounting hole locations? Thanks.

The 8N engine is basically half of a V8.

Here's a picture of a Model A tractor:
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.
    Alaskan A's
    Antique Auto Mushers of Alaska
    Model A Ford Club of America
    Model A Restorers Club
    Antique Automobile Club of America
    Mullins Owners Club

Comment

Originally posted by Barber31 View Post
      I found a '52 8N for sale. It looks pretty good but the owner says there's water in the oil. My question is I have a spare engine for my Tudor that's running pretty good, so could I swap my model A engine for the tractor engine? I read they are the same but will mine have all the same mounting hole locations? Thanks.
      Not with out a lot of work. They are not even close. How are you going to mount the front end. What are you going to use for a governor.

I think you should check out the tractor engine might just be a bad head gasket. I rebuilt a few back in my Dads repair garage. If not it might be a crack in the exhaust seat, easy fix. They also have replaceable sleeves.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• old31
        New engine break in procedure recommendations
        by old31
        What do you recommend for a break in procedure on a newly built babbited engine with a 6.0 head, larger intakes and B grind cam.

Keep it under 40 for the first 500 miles, or just go out and do highway driving?

How many miles to do the first and second oil changes.
        04-05-2018, 07:14 PM
      • Curly
        Engine pans, yes or no?
        by Curly
        I haven’t been running engine pans. I got a set recently thinking I wanted to add them. After dry fitting them I’m wondering if I even want them on.
        Advantages—
        1. Keep engine cleaner.
        2. Engine cooling, although I haven’t heard any conclusive evidence this is factual.
        3. Electrical ground, but this is not an issue for me.

Do you run them? Why?
        12-12-2017, 12:11 AM
      • Dennis
        Dry engine a bad thing?
        by Dennis
        Recently I noticed a squeaking sound when my car was idling. I took the belt off and started it up, no difference. It would go away when I revved it up a little bit. Got to be embarrassing at a stop light and the squeak was louder than the engine idling. I've done a ton of work on the engine recently also and the first thought was I hope the damn thing isn't getting ready to seize up. Everything...
        03-08-2018, 03:42 AM
      • 2manycars
        Engine refresh
        by 2manycars
        I have been working on my engine in the 29 tudor. It is back in now, and almost done. After fixing the radiator, It should run.
        This gallery has 7 photos.
        04-23-2018, 04:02 PM
      • Denis4x4
        Geneology of an A Engine
        by Denis4x4
        As an old hot rodder, I never consider a car is ever finished. To that point, here are the modifications that I've made to the A engine in my roadster over a 26 year period.

The engine in my avatar was built in May of 1931 and rebuilt in August of 1992. At the 2015 Speedster Reunion, this engine in my Zipper roadster registered 60HP @ 3500 RPM's at the rear wheels. It's been in and...
        05-08-2018, 11:33 AM
      • ClaudeC
        Constructing engine/transmission stand for running engine
        by ClaudeC
        Want to build wooden engine transmission stand for test running my 1933 v8 engine.
        Stand will have radiator, battery, small external gas tank. Need some plans or ideas for constuction. Tentative plane to use 4 by 4 wood frame on caster/rollers. The engine front has supports where I will place the biscuit rubber absorbers, not sure how to support the back, maybe transmission clamped to wood ...
        03-05-2018, 12:41 PM
      • pooch
        English Ford Pilot engine
        by pooch
        gday, I am curious as to when the Poms started building the 21 stud engine and a few details .

I know they never changed to 24 stud , and had a lot of surplus engines over at war's end, so they designed a car to use the engine, which became the pilot, a car that in size and shape very similar to a 36 USA Ford sedan .

The only difference in the engine casting that i can readily...
        09-16-2018, 06:50 PM
      • Tom Wesenberg
        Engine Overheating, Keep Your Cool
        by Tom Wesenberg
        Loss of coolant and overheating seem to be major issues with Model A's. I blame most of that on people that used plain water and created lot of rust, which settles to the rear of the engine. 15 years ago I bought a recently painted engine to use as a temporary while I restored my original engine with matching numbers. I assumed the engine with fresh paint must have been good to go, but that was a...
        This gallery has 8 photos.
        09-05-2018, 01:45 PM
      • tbirdtbird
        Engine rebuilding
        by tbirdtbird
        Many Model A owners will need their engine overhauled at some point. There are great many questions that come up when this occurs. We strongly encourage owners to do careful research, as there seems to be a lot of shops that claim they know engine building, but few that really do. Questions such as, babbitt or inserts, ring gaps, piston-to-cyl wall clearance, piston choices, camshaft choices, proper...
        04-30-2017, 07:39 PM
      • Ray Horton
        I need serious experienced help with an engine problem
        by Ray Horton
        This engine, with only 4000 miles on it since rebuild, has always overheated and locked up when shut down after overheating, which is usually when driven at 45 or less for 30 minutes or more. (This did not and does not happen when driven under 35 and/or just around town for less than 45 minutes). I thought I had this problem fixed. But apparently not.

Here is the history: On 3/16/14 I...
        07-01-2017, 01:12 AM
      Working...
      X