Yikes - Manufacturing Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yikes - Manufacturing Oil

Did some riding the past few days thanks to glorious run of weather. Now I find this morning that I am "making oil"!! I was 1/2 way between the F and L mark when I headed out yesterday, topped off water in radiator (most of which flow back out under expansion), when I parked for about 20 minutes at one stop noticed more than usual amount of oil under car when I pulled out (about 2 inch across round puddle, vs usually a couple of drops), when i got home, parked and waited a while and checked my garage drip pan I found puddle of oil about 2-3 inches across (in reality probably an ounce or so), but upon checking oil it is right at F!! Dripping is at rear of engine and some out of flywheel cover. No indication of water in oil, none on stick, no foaming or streaking, just good clean oil on stick. I am, of course, suspicious of head gasket, but no noticeable of loss of power, no rough idle. Guess I'll drain, inspect oil and refill and see what is up.

Any suggestions welcome. Not sure age of head gasket, should it be changed periodically on here? Little bit worried here.
    Last edited by Tom Rode; 12-26-2019, 01:38 PM.

Rear main leak area fairly common to drip but not large puddle. Some dip sticks full marks are not correct. The 2nd check is to pull oil pan and see if rear main drain tube has become plugged or fallen off cap, 3rd check is to check bearing clearances, etc.
    Forgot to include that water in oil may indicate head gasket issue or head needing re torquing, which you evidently don't have.
    Last edited by plyfor; 12-26-2019, 07:44 PM.

Comment

A half dozen 3 inch puddles is not going to make a noticeable difference on the dipstick.A drop of oil makes a puddle the size of a quarter after it sits for a few minutes.Oil does not contact the head gasket anywhere except where the distributer shaft sticks down through,and not a likely place to give a problem.You have a leak,but not anywhere as bad as you are thinking.

Comment

Some leak diag info

https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...1326#post41326
        3 ~ Tudor's
        Henry Ford said
        "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Loosen the oil drain plug to see if water seeps out around the threads. Hopefully none will.
          In you post you said that you topped of the water and most of it would "flow back out". Resist the urge to top off the coolant. Leave it be and it will settle in after a few drives. As long as it covers the tubes in your radiator you will be fine. No need to be adding coolant all the time.
          However if you have a head gasket leaking the gasses could be pushing into the coolant forcing it out.

Comment

Possibly the dip stick was not fully seated when you first took a level check?

Regards
            Bill

Comment

Leave it alone but check once in awhile. If you park your car in your garage make sure you have oil sorb.

Comment

Could it be that your increased oil level be caused by fuel getting into the sump some way. Possibly past the rings.
                This not uncommon in diesel engines.
                Rob
                Last edited by Rob Patterson; 12-27-2019, 03:25 PM.
                ​"As we advance in life we learn the limits of our abilities"......HENRY FORD
                1915 Ford "T" Speedster (Evangeline), 1921 Ford "T" Tourer (Anastasia), 1955 Ford Zephyr 6 (Purdey), 1975 Triumph Dolomite Sprint (Daisy), & a couple of moderns.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Tom Rode
                  Significant oil leak
                  by Tom Rode
                  So I've been driving this car a week or two now, parked in garage it leaks no oil, go for a drive and come back and park it on driveway and it drips oil from the weep hole in the bell housing for 5 or 10 minutes after I return. Clearly leaking while running. Read some about clogged oil return line from the rear main bearing, and other issues regarding leak at bearing and/or seal. Have read other sources...
                  11-13-2019, 08:34 AM
                • Tom Rode
                  Oil cap question
                  by Tom Rode
                  I've posted earlier about oil leak while car is running (leaks only immediately after a drive, no leaking while parked in garage). One of the possible remedies mentioned is oil cap on too tight or tabs bent and allowing pressure to build up in crankcase, to that end I have ordered a new oil cap and will install it. While examining old cap I found the cap to be "packed" with steel wool....
                  11-18-2019, 09:14 AM
                • Ray Sullivent
                  Oil Leak
                  by Ray Sullivent
                  I have a minor oil leak with the bottom of the oil pan and blow back having a thin film of oil. I recently changed the oil and the oil level is normal. Should I torque the oil pan bolts and/or replace the oil pan gasket?
                  01-31-2021, 03:39 PM
                • Atlasboy
                  Which Engine Oil to use
                  by Atlasboy
                  I have a 1931 Model A with an original engine, never out of the frame or rebuilt. What type and weight oil would be the best for this Car ?
                  11-28-2018, 09:30 AM
                • Bikerider58
                  Suck it out or let it drip - - oil change
                  by Bikerider58
                  Sludge in the bottom of the pan is common due to non-detergent oil. If 10 years of non-detergent and 10+ modern detergent oil and engine build; then it seems like the sludge would be cleaned out. I still had a good layer of about 3/8 inch.

I did not check when the pan was off, but suspect a good amount of oil is in the pan below the drain hole. With the engine tilt it seems like there...
                  03-23-2019, 12:58 AM
                • canadian
                  oil return.
                  by canadian
                  29 all stock engine, pulls dipstick cold engine ,oil level on F mark. engine running for 20 minutes while farting around with stuff. pull dipstick engine off ..oil level 1/4 inch on stick ... 1 hour later ... oil level 1/2 inch on stick . it took 2 hours for oil to return to F. I found out why just by coincidence , the oil return pipe was not hot to touch and I discovered that the lower cork gasket...
                  04-16-2019, 10:41 AM
                • Adog
                  Newby needs a question answered on 29 model a pickup rear main oil leak
                  by Adog
                  Just bought a new to me 1929 model a pickup. Engine runs fine with no knocks. After a 20 minute test drive and parked on concrete, oil flowed out of flywheel housing. A area approximately 18 inches In diameter. Oil also leaking from left side of engine pan and base of oil fill pipe.

I have all of Les Andrews books. Question, is it possible to remove pan and the rear main cap for inspection...
                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 1 photos.
                  01-23-2020, 07:31 AM
                • Beauford
                  Tracer Dye
                  by Beauford
                  So I was putting a new gasket on valve cover and upon opening cover I notice the oil is kinda a baby poop yellow-orange? I freak and drain the oil. It doesn't look right to me at all being I just start my project a couple times a week and tinker. I had used trace dye for my small rear leak. I'm wondering if this caused the coloration? I am a fanatic about opening rad and seeing fluid at same level...
                  04-08-2018, 08:24 PM
                • BillLee/Chandler, TX
                  Too much oil?
                  by BillLee/Chandler, TX
                  I have heard the story that over-filling the pan on an A engine will cause the rear main to leak. I have no reason to NOT believe this, but I would sure like to understand WHY it is so.

Anybody with the answer?

Thanks.

Bill
                  02-19-2019, 08:54 PM
                • MIKE DERUITER
                  REAR MAIN LEAK
                  by MIKE DERUITER
                  AFTER PUTTING ABOUT 50 MILES ON MY 29 MODEL A . THE NEXT MORNING I NOTICED A A FAIRLEY LARGE OIL SPOT UNDER THE REAR MAIN . I AM PLANNING ON DROPING THE PAN SOON , ANY THOUGHTS TO WHAT I MIGHT FIND ARE APPRECIATED
                  08-05-2018, 02:56 PM
                Working...
                X