Excelsior Stahl Radials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excelsior Stahl Radials

Just got these all done on my car followed H.L. Chauvins advice to the letter and what he had to say about them this is hands down the best thing i have done to date it feels like I added power steering to the car. The difference in ride and handling is like day and night. Not only that they look better than the whitewalls which means I have crossed over to the dark side with Mitch. If anyone is interested feel free to ask me questions, I will answer them if I can. These are not the easiest thing to do especially putting in the balance beads but i can tell you what made the job go real slick. First 5 took me +12 hours to mount and balance could do them now that I got the drill down in half the time that is however removing wheels from the car removing the old tires lining rims and mounting the new tires and tubes. Coker has the correct valve stem hardware to complete these as well. on radials

I have 550R19 Coker Excelsior Stahl Radials on my pickup as well. I don't have the metal stem tubes as Henry discovered, but everything Chief said above is 100% accurate.

As to installing the balancing beads, I used a back massage vibrator that I have to assist in putting them in. That reduced the time from about an hour on the first one to 5 minutes each on the other 4. If you have one of those pencil engravers, that would probably work just as well.
    Alaskan A's
    Antique Auto Mushers of Alaska
    Model A Ford Club of America
    Model A Restorers Club
    Antique Automobile Club of America
    Mullins Owners Club

Comment

Used to have a back massage vibrator, dawned on me to try the engraver you only lay the tip alongside the plastic tubing and worked slicker than snot along with the little brass tubes H.L. recommended tried the bag method on the first one royal pita for me but then it is me. just used dish soap and irons being very careful to make sure I did not pinch a tube. Hope to get back to alaska someday Carl, love the alaska rr and maybe I could meet you the pleasure would be all mine.

Comment

• CarlG
        CarlG commented
        Editing a comment
        Let me know when you might be here, we will roll out the red carpet for you.

• BNCHIEF
        BNCHIEF commented
        Editing a comment
        After you meet me you may roll up the welcome mat and it would be a pleasure.

I have had the Excelsiors for a couple of years. I like them. I have the metal tube stems, too. They leak a little air. It didn't take much time for me to mount them, but I don't remember how long? I sold the old tubes and gave my old tires away, although I always wanted a tire swing with a Model A tire!

Comment

Went from Excelsior bias to radials and never looked back.

Comment

Do the 5.25 and 5.50 Excelsior radials ride the same? Are the 5.25 closer to original width?

Comment

• CarlG
            CarlG commented
            Editing a comment
            Coker does not make a 5.25. They go from 5.00 to 5.50 (and up).

I have 5.50's, Maryanne has 5.00's

The 5.50's I have are essentially the same height as the 4.75-5.00 Firestones I had before.

What about the 21 inch radials?
          Bill
          http://www.brauchauto.com/
          Eastern Connecticut

Comment

Thanks Carl. I Should have looked at Maryanne's closer.
            Is Jim F. on this forum yet Carl?

Comment

• CarlG
              CarlG commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, his on-line ID here is "jfreddie", same as it is on the "other" forum

Has any one tried the Lucas tires from Vietnam?

Comment

I have. They didn’t handle right at 50, so I sold them and put Michelin’s back on. Next set will be the radials. They also are narrower with less thread on the pavement.

Comment