Open Car Windshield Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open Car Windshield Questions

Are there any good links or resources for info on how to adjust and assemble the windshield assembles on a open car? I am taking off the spotlights on the roadster and one stanchion I am having issues with. Mounting holes are too large for the countersink bolts.
    Both lower stanchions don't seem to line up and pull in when tightened. This binds on the windshield. I have the upper gaskets in place. Seems like I need to space the upper gaskets a little more to spread the stanchions a bit and straighten them up?

Hopefully someone has some ideas here to help you out!
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

I think I have it figured out. I loosened the upper bolt and tightened the lower bolt which pulled the stanchion back to parallel with the windshield. The rubber spacer/gasket is only between the top and I think I was squeezing it a little too hard.
      The problem with the holes too large is beyond me on the driver side, but I have a solution. I bit the bullet and ordered a new pair of stanchions. I will have the left one painted and pinstriped to match and just swap it out. I am slowly gathering parts for my next project car I think! Isnt that the way it works?

Comment

• DaWizard
        DaWizard commented
        Editing a comment
        THAT is exactly how it works.

Related Topics

Collapse

• DaWizard
      Windshield openings?
      by DaWizard
      I have been sitting here wondering just how many always run with the windshield open and how wide and for what reason?

I will start by saying up until a few days ago, I ran mine closed and put up with the reflection of the rear lights and stuff. But since it has been 95° plus the last few days I cracked it open about 1½in., we'll see how that works.
      07-10-2017, 03:35 PM
    • JohnB15632
      Installing windshield
      by JohnB15632
      Try as I might, I can not get the Windshield to close. It hits against the filler strip.
      I am beginning to think that I have the wrong windshield for my 31 SW 4D TS.

I have a windshield which is original. I measured the heights in the center of the window and the one installed is almost 1/4" bigger. This different in heights is what is leading me to think that this windshield...
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 4 photos.
      07-25-2019, 12:39 PM
    • Beauford
      Open windshield
      by Beauford
      Anyone got a side view pic of how I install the hardware on my RPU windshield? I know I have all the parts in a box somewhere.....
      08-13-2017, 01:44 AM
    • dmdeaton
      Another goofy question - Windshield
      by dmdeaton
      Took the roadster out Saturday and tipped the windshield open to get some air. Kept vibrating back closed. I didn't strong arm the thumb screws till I asked you guys??
      10-16-2017, 09:48 PM
    • Soapy
      Vintique Windshield Swing Arms
      by Soapy
      Have there been any complaints or observations that the Vintique swing arms are off just a little, dimentionally? In the closed position, they go all the way to the glass but are not pulling the windshield in tight to the body. I thought I would ask before pulling them off of my coupe to see if there's any difference.
      07-14-2020, 07:45 PM
    • Wilf55
      Stuck windshield
      by Wilf55
      I have a 1930 Tudor. The windshield is open about 3/4 of an inch but won’t budge. Don’t want to shove real hard. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance...
      07-03-2020, 04:47 PM
    • JohnB15632
      Model A Windshield
      by JohnB15632
      Successes are coming few and far between. But, today, I was able to put together my original windshield and windshield frame.
      As I will show you in the pictures attached, it was in pretty sorry condition when I started.
      I was most interested in saving the windshield glass, as it has an original 1960/1961 PA inspection sticker still on it!

Thanks,
      This gallery has 4 photos.
      10-03-2019, 12:33 PM
    • ClaudeC
      intallation of windshield rubber gasket.
      by ClaudeC
      The bottom portion of the gasket just hangs straight across they curved windshield bottom.
      Does this require adhesive or is it supposed to be pushed into the slot and held there by friction alone?
      07-28-2020, 11:31 AM
    • Beauford
      Windshield hitting Stanchion
      by Beauford
      I put my mirrors on the top screw hole of stanchions on my '29 RPU and now the windshield wants to hit towards the bottom of stanchion on drivers side. I have loosened here and there tightened with not being able to center windshield. It worked fine with just the bottom screws in. To attach stanchions on a Brookville body you use a one piece backing plate with two threaded holes that sits behind where...
      08-19-2017, 11:11 PM
    • Bill G
      Windshield frame question
      by Bill G
      I have a question about my windshield frame. I have a February 29 Tudor that was originally wired for an electric wiper, which would be proper. I bought the car missing the wiper motor. I have been studying the mounting for wipers and I have run across something that confuses me. The first attachment is a diagram that shows up in frequent posts about windshield frames and wiper mounts. It comes...
      This gallery has 2 photos.
      05-10-2020, 11:52 PM
    Working...
    X