Treating original wood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Treating original wood?

I will soon start removing the original interior of my Town Sedan to install the new Classtique interior expected in late December. Since much of the original wood will be exposed is it worth applying any treatment to it? From a few sections that I have previously exposed the original wood is in very good condition. The threads that I found on the forum seemed to deal with treating new wood or repairing old wood.

It's a preference thing imo. The sides of the wood that are touching metal won't be exposed to treat anyway. I probably wouldn't touch it but that is just me.
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

I think this is something that gets overthought.Will your car ever get neglected and left out in the elements for extended periods of time like they were back in the day?If your wood has survived this long,I would say that with proper storage it will outlast three more generations of owners.I looked at a Fordor at a little show last summer that had funny splotches all over the interior.The owner told me that the previous owner had used some kind of wood preservative before he put the new interior in.It was fine for a couple of years,but it sat inside.When it got out in the sun for some extended periods of time the preservative decided to leach out.His headliner and door panels have stains all over them.

Comment

"IF" you treat the wood just make sure it's with a multi-part component product that has a catalyst so it fully hardens. The Wooden boat industry has a lot of cool products for dealing with wood preservation and rot repair. Think about it, the boating industry has been dealing with these issues long before Henry's great, great grandfather was born.

Regards
        Bill

Comment

I would not waste your time or money to do it, and I agree 100% with Keith.

Comment

Everthing you are talking about is an old, traditional practice (Wood in cars?) I don't believe Henry bothered to use any preservative on the wood in his cars other than the that special lacquer that he splashed on the inside. I have always been a big believer in Linseed oil, Its old, It works! And it doesn't leech out. Especially if it's followed by a coat of Spar Varnish. That's SPAR VARNISH. Not some variant that's two bucks less at your big box store. One old time trick was to mix the linseed with the spar varnish, 50/50 but it slows the drying time way down. But it's great for gunstocks. This is very important, Make sure you get the ends of the piece! This is where the wood sucked up the sap when it was a tree, this is the plumbing of the tree and it will take in moisture that will eventually cause rot if not sealed.
            Terry

Comment

Thanks for the responses! After I get everything exposed I'll evaluate for any repairs needed and do those first. If the rest of the wood is solid I'll probably skip major preservative treatment. I have used linseed oil and spar varnish on a number of wood projects and really like the results. I know I'll have some repair on the wood at the bottom of the doors and may treat those pieces as they seem to be so prone to water damage if the car is caught in the rain. I've had good success with the MinWax two part epoxy repair product on thresholds and sills so would probably use that on the A wood where needed. Any suggestions for other repair products that may be better? I've also used some of the liquid penetrating hardeners for soft wood that are no longer available. Any suggestions for brands?

Comment

Here is a recent thread, that basically deals with the same thing

https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...th-rotten-wood
                3 ~ Tudor's
                Henry Ford said
                "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Thanks Mitch!

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• 28A
                    What to use for wood preservative
                    by 28A
                    Got a Briggs body with some wood that needs to be fixed up. What are we using for new or existing wood to protect it?
                    I've heard boiled linseed oil is good as well as Gilsonite, but I have no idea where to source Gilsonite?...
                    08-22-2018, 10:49 PM
                  • emac
                    Roof wood treatment
                    emac
                    by emac
                    I bought a wood kit for my 30 CCPU roof. The way the previous owner had the interior, a lot of this wood was visible. No headliner. My plan was to stain the wood with the same stain as the bed wood and add a coat or two of spar varnish. Any thoughts on this?...
                    12-20-2020, 10:46 AM
                  • RockHillWill
                    Looking for any Model A Ford wood related information or 'notes'
                    RockHillWill
                    by RockHillWill
                    I have been attending a wood working class locally for about two years and at each event there is some one that presents about an hour talking about some sort of a wood project. I am just a little bit smarter than a rock about wood working, but feel that I ought to contribute in some way, and all I could think of was something like: 'Using Wood in Vintage Auto Restoration'. I thought that I could...
                    01-15-2019, 08:38 AM
                  • Bill G
                    Vendor recommendation for top wood '29 Tudor
                    Bill G
                    Model A Lover!
                    by Bill G
                    I have a '29 Tudor with some very questionable and even rotten wood. I have seen some vendors who sell wood kits. Fordwood, Classic wood Products, and it seems too, all the Model A vendors, Bert's Bratton's, Snyders, Mike's, Mac's, CW Moss, Sacramento, and probably others. It looks like the going price for a top wood kit is just north of $600, especially when considering shipping and hardware....
                    06-12-2018, 02:13 AM
                  • emac
                    Need some advice on wood for top and painting
                    emac
                    by emac
                    1930 CCPU. I may have made a mistake. Cab is completely apart and awaiting sandblasting and painting. I ordered all new top wood. I figured it would be smart to stain and seal the wood. I realize now that the wood should be painted but some people do not paint the wood.

Last night I found a great website by Douglas Cox on installing the roof. I went through the site a few times and...
                    01-02-2021, 04:07 PM
                  • pAAt
                    Old wood care ?
                    pAAt
                    by pAAt
                    What could I use to rejuvenate good old "A" wood ? Really nice wood, but a tad bit dry I would say....
                    09-05-2017, 07:56 AM
                  • donh
                    top wood
                    by donh
                    Has anyone ever tried filling the nail holes in the top wood and then successfully nailed the top material and molding down? I'm working on a 30 170B deluxe. I replaced the header but wonder about the rest of the top wood.
                    09-10-2018, 06:52 AM
                  • Dennis
                    Wood Kits
                    Dennis
                    by Dennis
                    Well I didn't have much luck finding an answer maybe I'm doing something wrong. Who do you recommend for a wood kit for most of the top on a 1930 Coupe, Deluxe if there is a difference?
                    08-03-2019, 02:08 AM
                  • Larry Morlock
                    Seatback Wood
                    Larry Morlock
                    Jr Member
                    by Larry Morlock
                    I have a question on how to fit the rear seatback wood to the body of the car on a late 1928 Model A Tudor. The new wood I got from Classic Wood in N Carolina will not fit up against the upper metal rail just below the rear window, as the upright wooden members of the wood frame hit the metal rail before the upper horizontal wood member can rest against it. As a result, the two metal fasteners that...
                    11-09-2020, 11:28 AM
                  • wrndln
                    Kwik Poly
                    wrndln
                    by wrndln
                    There was a product called Kwik Poly. It was a 2 part epoxy product, I think, that could be used to repair decayed wood, like body sill wood. It appears the company that made it went out of business. Does anyone have any information about Kwik Poly or a similar product that can be used to repair wood?
                    Thanks
                    Rusty Nelson
                    07-12-2019, 05:44 PM
                  Working...
                  X