Significant oil leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Significant oil leak

So I've been driving this car a week or two now, parked in garage it leaks no oil, go for a drive and come back and park it on driveway and it drips oil from the weep hole in the bell housing for 5 or 10 minutes after I return. Clearly leaking while running. Read some about clogged oil return line from the rear main bearing, and other issues regarding leak at bearing and/or seal. Have read other sources that say there is no actual rear seal, and not pressurized crankshaft oiling, so not sure about that. Was hoping it was a split seal that could be changed without pulling engine, but now not entirely sure about that. I think I have to start by pulling the cover and watching it run? Then probably drop the pan and check this return line I keep reading about. Loses about pint of oil over couple of days of driving. Was planning on ordering a gasket set anyway, not sure how old the ones in this are.

While at it, looking for oil suggestions, have bought some Shell Rotella 15w40 based on suggestions at other sites, open to suggestions here.

Make sure your oil level is not over full.
    Check the crankshaft end play

Did you see this?
    https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...1326#post41326
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Also be sure the oil fill cap isn't pushed down enough to block the vent.
      Sometimes the 3 or 4 tabs get bent and allow the cap to get pushed down too far.
      Also check for excess blowby.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Tom Rode
        Yikes - Manufacturing Oil
        by Tom Rode
        Did some riding the past few days thanks to glorious run of weather. Now I find this morning that I am "making oil"!! I was 1/2 way between the F and L mark when I headed out yesterday, topped off water in radiator (most of which flow back out under expansion), when I parked for about 20 minutes at one stop noticed more than usual amount of oil under car when I pulled out (about 2 inch across...
        12-26-2019, 01:37 PM
      • MIKE DERUITER
        REAR MAIN LEAK
        by MIKE DERUITER
        AFTER PUTTING ABOUT 50 MILES ON MY 29 MODEL A . THE NEXT MORNING I NOTICED A A FAIRLEY LARGE OIL SPOT UNDER THE REAR MAIN . I AM PLANNING ON DROPING THE PAN SOON , ANY THOUGHTS TO WHAT I MIGHT FIND ARE APPRECIATED
        08-05-2018, 02:56 PM
      • Adog
        Newby needs a question answered on 29 model a pickup rear main oil leak
        by Adog
        Just bought a new to me 1929 model a pickup. Engine runs fine with no knocks. After a 20 minute test drive and parked on concrete, oil flowed out of flywheel housing. A area approximately 18 inches In diameter. Oil also leaking from left side of engine pan and base of oil fill pipe.

I have all of Les Andrews books. Question, is it possible to remove pan and the rear main cap for inspection...
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.
        01-23-2020, 07:31 AM
      • gsnort
        Do all Model A's leak oil?
        by gsnort
        Hi, everyone. I'm George Smullen of Waupun, Wisconsin. I'm 81 years young and bought my first car, a stock 1931 Model A coupe when I was 16 years old. That's 65 years ago. I recently bought a 1929 Special Model A coupe. As I looked underneath the car I bought, I saw that it dripped oil while parked. "All Model A' drip oil," the owner told me. I don't recall my car from my youth dripping...
        10-03-2020, 10:08 AM
      • Ray Sullivent
        Oil Leak
        by Ray Sullivent
        I have a minor oil leak with the bottom of the oil pan and blow back having a thin film of oil. I recently changed the oil and the oil level is normal. Should I torque the oil pan bolts and/or replace the oil pan gasket?
        01-31-2021, 03:39 PM
      • Tom Rode
        Oil cap question
        by Tom Rode
        I've posted earlier about oil leak while car is running (leaks only immediately after a drive, no leaking while parked in garage). One of the possible remedies mentioned is oil cap on too tight or tabs bent and allowing pressure to build up in crankcase, to that end I have ordered a new oil cap and will install it. While examining old cap I found the cap to be "packed" with steel wool....
        11-18-2019, 09:14 AM
      • Atlasboy
        Which Engine Oil to use
        by Atlasboy
        I have a 1931 Model A with an original engine, never out of the frame or rebuilt. What type and weight oil would be the best for this Car ?
        11-28-2018, 09:30 AM
      • JohnB15632
        Engine losing oil
        by JohnB15632
        I have been experiencing some oil blowing past the dipstick. I have looked but I can not find a boot or other seal that would stop oil escaping past the dipstick.

Any ideas?

Thanks,...
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.
        10-10-2020, 04:18 PM
      • CSPIDY
        Switching to a detergent oil
        by CSPIDY
        I am in the process of cleaning any sludge and old oil from my A’s little motor. Dropped the oil pan and I guess I am missing the rear main cap drain tube. Yikes...
        02-07-2019, 09:23 AM
      • Jackc
        Oil Leak, just asking
        by Jackc
        Okay, I know," if it's not leaking its out of oil." BUT, after driving I get a medium sized puddle of oil out the flywheel cover (cotter pin).
        I have removed the cover and run it, looked at the rear main (dry), checked the pan bolts, and verified the oil return line on the block side is not leaking.
        I am thinking the cam gasket, but wanted to see if anyone had other ideas before...
        10-04-2019, 10:15 AM
      Working...
      X