X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WayneT
    • Dec 2017
    • Orlando, Florida

Distributor Question

I am experiencing a new problem that I have NEVER encountered with a Model A Distributor. I converted both of my A's distributors some time ago and removed the "pigtail" between the upper and lower plates and replaced it with the Brass springy plate that the acorn nut hits on the bottom of the upper plate that is on the bottom of the post for the points.
    I have had the upper plates out in the past BUT this time after installing new points I cannot get the upper plate back in because the acorn nut is hitting on the front side of the springy brass piece that replaced the pigtail. I need to find a way to push down on the brass springy plate when I install the upper plate and then be able to remove whatever I used to push down on the brass springy plate.
    Have you ever experienced this and does anyone know how I can do this? Appreciate your input!!
  • Mitch
    Administrator
    • Apr 2017
    • Bucks County, PA

I have taken out the wireless lower plates and trashed them. Reinstalled the wired plate because of to many driveability gremlins with them. Just my experiences. I'm not sure why your plate will not fit after you changed the points.
    1~24 Touring, 2~30 Tudor's, 1~31 Tudor,
    1~30 Coupe

Henry Ford said, "It's all nuts and bolts"
    "Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible."

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• Paul K.
      • Aug 2017
      • Austin, Texas

Agree with Mitch. Trashed them long ago.

Comment

• BudP
        • May 2017
        • Oakton, VA

x3 for trashing them. Years ago I thought they made great sense. Then, I found scoring and skipping on the underside. Went back to the original set-up with the better than original "pigtail" sold by the vendors and no more problems. If you decide to go original, study Marco's picture closely: the flag must be bent so that it doesn't ground to the side of the distributor.

Comment

• Mitch
          Administrator
          • Apr 2017
          • Bucks County, PA

Here is a tech post showing the two different wireless plate setups. fwiw

A nice little book! PDF Link (https://www.vintagefordforum.com/forum/model-a/159202-thanks-for-the-heads-up?p=159834#post159834) Click image for larger version Name: IMG_6251.jpg Views: 2 Size: 60.4 KB ID: 7049 Click image for larger version Name: IMG_6267.jpg Views: 2 Size: 111.7 KB ID: 7050Click image for larger version

And also Marcos picture that BudP mentioned which is in the same thread

A nice little book! PDF Link (https://www.vintagefordforum.com/forum/model-a/159202-thanks-for-the-heads-up?p=159834#post159834) Click image for larger version Name: IMG_6251.jpg Views: 2 Size: 60.4 KB ID: 7049 Click image for larger version Name: IMG_6267.jpg Views: 2 Size: 111.7 KB ID: 7050Click image for larger version
          1~30 Coupe

"Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible."

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• George Miller
            RIP
            The VFF will miss you
            "Permanent Member"
            • May 2017
            • NC

I have trashed a few for others also. The original points and pig tail work fine. The wire going to the points I use a 100 strand wire a little longer than original. If you do that that will fix the problem for a long time.

Comment

• WayneT
              • Dec 2017
              • Orlando, Florida

My thanks to all for the input. This AM I pulled the distributor off of the car and clamped it in a vise in my workshop. I monkeyed around with the top plate without the spring between the two plates and finally got it in, I then took it out and replaced the spring and had to remove a spacer washer on the point pole and was then able to get it back in with the spring.
              I have been running the "no pigtail" set-up for 40 years (purchased both back then) on both of my A's and have never had a problem until this freaky experience.
              Thanks again!!
              Wayne

Comment

• Mitch
                Administrator
                • Apr 2017
                • Bucks County, PA

Wayne, I'm glad to hear that you figured it out. If you ever notice little hiccups while driving, don't forget about the plate being an issue. It can drive you nuts, been there done that many a time.
                1~30 Coupe

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• WayneT
                  • Dec 2017
                  • Orlando, Florida

Thank You Mitch!!!!

Comment

Working...