What do I scrap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do I scrap?

My Tudor came with three engine blocks with pistons, rods, heads and one cam. I'm thinking that all of it is probably worth saving except the pistons. Should they be saved, too? How about the wrist pins, if I get rid of the pistons?

Most of the things that I thought were “scrap” have been reused and/or repurposed either by me or someone else in our club.

If you have the room for it, keep it.
    Alaskan A's
    Antique Auto Mushers of Alaska
    Model A Ford Club of America
    Model A Restorers Club
    Antique Automobile Club of America
    Mullins Owners Club

Comment

Originally posted by CarlG View Post
      Most of the things that I thought were “scrap” have been reused and/or repurposed either by me or someone else in our club.

If you have the room for it, keep it.
      X3
      You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

It depends on the condition. If they’re center lock pistons and pins, probably junk. They may even have ring spacers. The cam needs to be checked by someone who knows. Easy for you to check the wear on the spiral gear in the center. Heads also need to check/magnafluxed for cracks. As a rule stock heads aren’t worth much. If you belong to a club, you can probably borrow a magnaflux machine. Check the blocks for obvious cracks ect. Borrow a pressure tester to verify the water jackets are not leaking.

Comment

I keep almost everything.
          Even what is truly junk is good for yard art, or use it to make a hard luck trophy for the person that breaks down while on tour.

Comment

Anything can be repurposed. I keep everything and when I have free time, I love combing junkyards and metal salvagers. You just wouldnt believe the stuff Ive picked up over the years. And dont forget the flea markets.

Piston’s? I checked in on my 81 year old car guru friend this past weekend and he had a scarce early AA block cleaned up on a stand. He showed me a box of grimey used pistons he’d gone through and had pulled out the ones he was going to use. I made the mistake of commenting to my hero regarding their “condition” and got my yaboot chewed off! “You’d be so lucky to have a set of pistons like these here!” he said. A half-***** mechanic can make anything work and run! It was good to visit and see my buddy was still in top form. I’m pretty sure I saw him make one of his classic wry grins when he thought I wasnt looking.

He built a motor for me last year that I’m running now that’s unlike any motor I have ever run. It rumbles, it purrs, and sometimes I’m not sure its even running until I mash the throttle to the floor and Im forced back in the seat. He told me its a 28 block with some grimey old pistons and rods he had, I do remember the rusty old crank that had been outside for years used as a door stop and one of several cams he kept in a box on the floor! It’s hands down the best engine Ive ever had and I will treasure it the rest of my life! It’s referred to by me as “the Beast!”

Say, “can we get another round over here?”

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Chuck Sea/Tac
              Old pistons
              by Chuck Sea/Tac
              im tearing an engine down, and it has ford .045" pistons with center lock wrist pins.my question is regarding the rings. The upper slot has a .012" spacer so it can use the same size ring as the middle slot. Yes, different size slots. The middle has one inch pieces stacked underneath the ring, so as to push the ring tighter to the cylinder wall. Whether these were originally one solid ring,...
              06-16-2017, 01:51 PM
            • George Miller
              What is the advantage of putting sleeves in and going back to standard.
              by George Miller
              I under stand if you can not go bigger. But it sounds like some put sleeves in even if they have room to bore more.
              01-19-2018, 11:33 AM
            • tbirdtbird
              If pistons could talk....with pix
              by tbirdtbird
              Pictured on the left is an old school Model A piston with an archaic design from the '20s, '30s, '40s.
              On the right is a Model A piston of modern design, a design adapted by all car manufacturers many decades ago. The skirt is short and the rings narrow. Inspect the features of the two yourself; you need not be an engineer. You only need common sense to answer the following 3 questions:...
              07-23-2017, 07:48 PM
            • SAJ
              Piston Expander. "Koetherizer"
              by SAJ
              I posted this on "another"forum in response to others and thought it might prove interesting on VFF
              "I have a piston expander called a Koetherizer. Invented by Emil Koether in the Early 1930's. You clean the piston internally by blasting with walnut shells in the right hand chamber of the machine. Then insert the special squeeze bolt through the gudgeon holes, tighten the bolt...
              03-07-2019, 04:45 AM
            • Bill G
              Question about cylinder bore
              by Bill G
              Someone once told me that an oversize bore/pistons I.E. 40 over give more power than standard. The logic is that the pistons are larger/ more surface area. That does sound logical, but on the flip side, my thinking is that it would also reduce compression and give less power. Either way, it seems that the difference would have to be small. Can someone tell me if this is true, and if so would the...
              10-21-2018, 02:32 AM
            • George Miller
              Do any of the piston manufactures make pistons that take a modern narrow rings.
              by George Miller
              Narrow rings in IMHOP work better than wide rings. nWhat do you think.
              01-20-2018, 06:48 PM
            • tbirdtbird
              Engine rebuilding
              by tbirdtbird
              Many Model A owners will need their engine overhauled at some point. There are great many questions that come up when this occurs. We strongly encourage owners to do careful research, as there seems to be a lot of shops that claim they know engine building, but few that really do. Questions such as, babbitt or inserts, ring gaps, piston-to-cyl wall clearance, piston choices, camshaft choices, proper...
              04-30-2017, 07:39 PM
            • Chuck Sea/Tac
              Ohio pistons
              by Chuck Sea/Tac
              a widow has an 1980’s set of .060” Ohio solid pistons. My question is, are they a good piston? Thanks.
              10-03-2018, 01:44 AM
            • Dennis
              3 ring pistons
              by Dennis
              I've heard of this in the past and might have seen some pictures, but as far as I've been able to find were rings for pistons with 2 grooves and the oil ring. Anybody know where to find rings for a 3 ring piston?
              08-05-2019, 03:27 AM
            • Dennis
              Ford pistons
              by Dennis
              Recently at one of our seminars we pulled an engine, dissassembled and measured the mains and rods. I have never stumbled onto original Ford pistons so I thought I'd throw this out there. I assume Ford made all of their own pistons ... maybe not? I couldn't find a part number on them but did find a name inside and of course Ford with an arrow going through the name. There were no indications of...
              02-03-2019, 02:36 PM
            Working...
            X