rumble seat question, WARNING maybe dumb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rumble seat question, WARNING maybe dumb question

We have not had any passengers in the rumble seat of our "new" '28 coupe yet, but will have soon. Besides the obvious, use the two steps, and no women with heels, what should I/we do or tell passengers to help them get safely into and out of the rumble seat without danger to themselves or damaging our car? We have never owned a car with a rumble seat before. Thanks.

I dont own one but I would personally show them how to get in the way you want them to.

Comment

Not too much, it's pretty self explanatory. I always tell people with long hair to tie it first, and to keep their eyes below the roof of the car, but not too close to it in case of sudden stops.

Otherwise the important thing for me is I have to clean all the junk off the floor first

Oh, a good idea is to have an adult get in first if a child will ride in it, they tend to put their feet wherever and it's best to lift them in and out, or at least greatly help them.
      Last edited by jordanka16; 10-09-2019, 12:58 AM.

Comment

Left foot on the bumper pad, right foot on the fender pad, left foot on the seat, right foot on the floor followed by left foot on the floor.

If you can't insure clean shoes on the seat, put down some protection, blanket, towel, etc.
        You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

I have never let anyone sit in the rumble. I got in when I first bought Sarah, about broke my leg getting out. No way would I let anyone not only ride back there but not even get in it.
          "Bullshit and Brilliance Comes with Age and Experience"

Comment

Originally posted by DaWizard View Post
            If you can't insure clean shoes on the seat, put down some protection, blanket, towel, etc.
            Have them take their shoes off
            3 ~ Tudor's
            Henry Ford said
            "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

As Wiz stated;
              (And Ed will like this). Give them "marching orders". Left Right Left!
              Twiss Collector Car Parts

Comment

Don't know how many times I have been in and out of the rumble.

Step step jump in, watch your knees. You really will have to step on the seat.
                Getting out you have to push yourself up and get your feet on the seat then step step jump.

If you are not sort of nimble then it might be a bad idea to get in.

I should point out I am 6' 6" tall and thin and can do it still today in my fifties. Been doing it since I was 5.

Comment

I was reading an article in a car magazine where they were listing ten things every auto enthusiast should do before they die. Riding in a rumble seat was #1. After that I asked a club member with a coupe for a ride.
                  Yes, it’s great and it belongs at number one.

Comment

I have not given my grandchildren rides in a rumble seat yet but when I do I will use pipe insulation slit on one side to press on the forward and side edges of the compartment. It might save a tooth or two in the event of a quick stop.

Comment

Originally posted by BudP View Post
                      I have not given my grandchildren rides in a rumble seat yet but when I do I will use pipe insulation slit on one side to press on the forward and side edges of the compartment. It might save a tooth or two in the event of a quick stop.
                      Dollar Tree pool noodles for only a buck would offer even more protection.

Comment

Originally posted by DaWizard View Post
                        Left foot on the bumper pad, right foot on the fender pad, left foot on the seat, right foot on the floor followed by left foot on the floor.

Exactly the instructions I always give.
                        1929 Coupe

Comment

Strap the lid open so small children do not get shut in on sudden stop.

Comment

I wonder if the lid closing on a sudden stop is just an ole wive's tale.

I have studied the geometry of the lid and hinge and fulcrum point and gravity and I do not believe it would close at negative G on a horizontal plane.

Just my opinion tho.

I would like to have a coupe / roadster body one day and lift it up from the arse end with the lid open and see if would even shut itself with vertical gravity.

Comment

Originally posted by Bikerider58 View Post
                              Strap the lid open so small children do not get shut in on sudden stop.
                              I have never been able to stop fast enough to do that.
                              1929 Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by sideline View Post

I have never been able to stop fast enough to do that.
                                Until you bump into something...

Comment

All of which is why, when I did my coupe, years ago, I had two coupe bodies to choose from and I picked the one with the trunk. I occasionally ask one of my grandkids if they want to ride in the trunk, and none of them ever say yes. In those days the trunk lid support step bolts weren't available and I had to have one made from information that Vince sent me.

Comment