Engine Pans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Pans

Since this was brought up again, I want to know.
    Did your car have pans when purchased?
    50.00%
    Did you add engine pans?
    37.50%
    Do you drive without engine pans?
    37.50%
    Will you add the engine pans?
    18.75%
    Are your engine pans powder coated?
    33.33%
    You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Originally posted by DaWizard View Post
    Since this was brought up again, I want to know.
    1 no, 2 no 3 yes 4 no 5 -

Comment

2 yes 5 yes

Comment

Mine came with only the drivers side pan. Currently Looking for a passenger side pan, driving without till I find one.

Comment

My car did not come with pans, and I have no immediate plans to add them. Maybe after I get the interior done next year.

Comment

Our eyes get use to seeing things a certain way. My car did not come with tins so this is what looks "correct" to me. If you're driving through a lot of mud puddles like they did in early days then you might want to add them to keep your engine looking clean. A clean engine runs cooler too.

Comment

Sarah cam with no engine pans, I added them, powder coated....took them off, I run with them off.
              "Bullshit and Brilliance Comes with Age and Experience"

Comment

My pickup did not come with engine pans.

I won’t go through all the gyrations, but I now have a pan on the left side and will have one on the right side when I can get it modified so it will fit.

I do believe in having them for the aesthetics and cooling aspects.

I do not fall into the camp of those who swear by the grounding capabilities of said devices. Way too much hype there. At best any such capabilities are purely minimal.

Yes, my pans are powder coated after market pans.
                Alaskan A's
                Antique Auto Mushers of Alaska
                Model A Ford Club of America
                Model A Restorers Club
                Antique Automobile Club of America
                Mullins Owners Club

Comment

Yes mine had pans when I bought it and they are both original. Yes they are in bad shape, but I keep them patched up where and when needed. The driver side had a big hole rusted through under the peacock and I brazed a patch over it, the rest of the bottom was rusted badly and pitted was why I brazed instead of tig. Both have had ears broken on oil pan side, brazed back together. I don’t really care how they look as far as shape, but I keep them painted shiny black.

Comment

Engine pans in my opinion do a couple of things for you they keep dust and dirt away from the carb intake, they also aid in cooling i believe and help to help air flow and direct hot air out through the louvers, they also help to keep the engine compartment clean, these are only my opinions but I also run them on my model t's as well.
                    Last edited by BNCHIEF; 10-07-2019, 12:57 PM. Reason: did not want agwr to get excited corrected spelling of lovers to louvers

Comment

You would think that there would be some sort of "OFFICIAL" documentation of why Ford built the cars with engine pans. If it's out there I don't remember seeing it in black and white before. Jim Mason , Marco Tahtaras one of you guys may have something.
                      4~ Tudor's
                      1~ Coupe

Henry Ford said,
                      "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

I've never seen a specific reason...
                        http://jmodela.coffeecup.com

Comment

My donor chassis had the pans with it. Plan to use them. On the fence about powder coating as they do add another path for engine grounding. Rod
                          "Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good." Thomas Sowell

Comment

Mine did not, and until someone here asked me if I had them I didn't know they even existed. I bought a set of powder coated ones but as of yet I haven't installed them

Comment

My 28 Leatherback
                              • Did your car have pans when purchased? YES
                              • Did you add engine pans? N/A
                              • Do you drive without engine pans? YES
                              • Will you add the engine pans? N/A
                              • Are your engine pans powder coated? NO
                              My car came with the original engine pans and schroud. They are in good condition. I should probably remove them for painting. I also have the original self equalizing brake system with non-adjustable brake rods. Still stops well.
                              Supergnat

Comment

Originally posted by DaWizard View Post
                                • Did your car have pans when purchased? NO
                                • Did you add engine pans? NO
                                • Do you drive without engine pans? YES
                                • Will you add the engine pans? YES
                                • Are your engine pans powder coated?NO
                                Jon.

Carpe Diem

Comment

Didn't have them on any (30-31) model A's purchased over the years. Have added the repro's on all needing no mod's. They install with a slight bending tension keeping harmonics to a minimum. The exhaust down- pipe hole may not be exactly centered. Paint the tops with dope type (Brodak) lacquer , the bottoms ok with enamel. Stay away from powder coat, 'cause they need touch up from working around the engine.
                                  Last edited by plyfor; 10-07-2019, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Came with the truck, are painted. I figure Henry had a reason for them or they would not be there. Like said above - helps keep the engine bay cleaner, may keep dirt/dust/bugs out of the air intake or air cleaner if using an air cleaner. I remember seeing discussion but no absolute proof they also help keep the motor cooler.

Comment

Ford got rid of the radiator shroud because it didn't make a difference. He would have done the same thing with the engine pans if they weren't necessary.

For that reason I leave them on.

-Tim

Comment

Originally posted by WTSHNN View Post
                                        Ford got rid of the radiator shroud because it didn't make a difference
                                        That is really weird because they do make a difference if properly configured. It has been determined to have the rear-most part of the fan blade stick out beyond the rear of the shroud by 1/2"

We add shrouds to cars with overheating problems if the blocks and radiators are known to be good. Not on Model As since that is nearly impossible to do, but on many other marques we have restored

Comment

No, No, Yes, Maybe one day, Probably

Comment

I have the original pans that came on the car hanging on the wall. I got tired of taking them on and off to work on the car. I ground off a paint spot on the frame and timing cover and installed a four gauge ground wire. That wire is there to stay. Works like a champ. I get comments about it now and then, but never from an old timer.

Comment

Originally posted by 40B1930 View Post
                                              I got tired of taking them on and off to work on the car.
                                              Gotcha!

Comment

Originally posted by WTSHNN View Post
                                                Ford got rid of the radiator shroud because it didn't make a difference. He would have done the same thing with the engine pans if they weren't necessary.

For that reason I leave them on.

-Tim
                                                But are they necessary on our paved roads?

Comment

On our paved roads there is not much mud to be deflected. However, having the pans in place will direct all that cool air around the engine and out through the hood lovers as it was designed to do.

Besides all that, things just look better with them installed.
                                                  Alaskan A's
                                                  Antique Auto Mushers of Alaska
                                                  Model A Ford Club of America
                                                  Model A Restorers Club
                                                  Antique Automobile Club of America
                                                  Mullins Owners Club

Comment