Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why do people threaten to scrap items they can’t get their price for??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why do people threaten to scrap items they can’t get their price for??

I saw this on eBay, he says he’s going to scrap it if it doesn’t sell soon, then why not list it for scrap price, I’m sure it would sell fairly quickly then. Just makes me shake my head. I’m not connected to this ad or nor do I know the seller. Just passing along. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F254332516218

Some people never grow up......

Comment

Interesting that he's three days past the date he said he would end the auction. Threatening to go to scrap is likely a sales tactic to panic someone into purchasing. Frankly, from looking at the machine, I have no idea what it does...

Comment

Yes sounds like a selling scare tactic. Why else bring that up in your ad?

Comment

That is a crank bearing align boring setup.
          You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

I’d say scrap her then!! Nobody is going to pay over $5000 for that boring machine

Comment

Hey rebuild 2 engines for someone and you made a profit after purchasing it
              3 ~ Tudor's
              Henry Ford said
              "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post
                Hey rebuild 2 engines for someone and you made a profit after purchasing it
                You probably have a couple from your barn find that need rebuilt!!

Comment

The seller wants north of 5 grand for it. If he can;t sell it he' going to get a few cents a pound for scrap. I call BSI think he needs his medication.

Comment

Would think most people will see through this and now refuse to buy it if he asks $100.

He would have been better off to have a low starting bid, high reserve. Then decide if he would accept the high bid instead of turning people off.

Comment

No, I'd still buy it CCPU !! Anything a hundred or under and it's game on I think it has to do with growing up in Wisconsin Beer, cheese, and no money :rolling
                      Model A's and of course the famous AA's

Comment

He's going to spit his dummy if he can't get his (high) price yet he won't ship outside mainland US. Do she want to sell it or not.
                        Some people!

Comment

Selling on ebay can be more frustrating than most of you know. From questions that are merely a chance to insault to the BS from ebay itself. I can understand this person more than most. Easy for someone to take it personal. Just my take from the other side of the fence. Rod
                          "Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good." Thomas Sowell

Comment

Damn, I'd definitely drive up and take it for much more than scrap price. There was a local guy that had a ton of parts and his storage situation changed forcing him to scrap a bunch of stuff, just couldn't get people to come in fast enough.

Comment

I’ve made offers many times to sellers that had it listed buy it now. Sometimes they will bite sometimes not. The only way I’d buy that boring bar would be if I could pour and peen the Babbitt.

Comment

In answer to your question, it is merely a threat! Or it is a Ego problem. Their egos won't let take them a lower price because no one can screw them! Lot's of psychological crap tied up in it. But, what they don't realize is, today, most scrap yards hold the more valuable stuff back for retail sales. Even in raw metals. I bought my 1 1/4 "X10' pipe fenceposts for $ 5. apiece in a scrap yard and it turned out they were S.S. If you can't get rid of something, it's probably priced too high. Time to take less! And be grown up enough not to cry about and move on to the next deal.
                                Terry
                                Terry, NJ
                                Banned
                                Last edited by Terry, NJ; 09-20-2019, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Terry, NJ
                                  Banned
                                  Terry, NJ Well said.. It’s called the Hoarders syndrome
                                  3 ~ Tudor's
                                  Henry Ford said
                                  "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post
                                    Terry, NJ
                                    Banned
                                    Terry, NJ Well said.. It’s called the Hoarders syndrome
                                    Not exactly Mitch. hoarders just can't let anything go. I had a friend who had this bad. He was a brilliant man, a former stock trader on Wall st. One of the best Tool and Diemakers I knew. He was making thousands in the stock market, but he'd forget to cash his dividend checks. He'd leave them on the kitchen table and they'd get buried in old junk mail (it figures) He only threw away table scraps. He was always checking what people were throwing away at the curb. You get the picture, He could see value in everything, he never sold anything! (no one would want it!) He was a true Hoarder! But the people who are threatening to destroy something are playing a different game. This is the highest of high pressure. The only pressure that's higher would be to hold a gun to your head. Buy it or I destroy it! No amount of reason will convince them that is all that is worth. A while back I called you about a car that you might like, remember? The couple with the car are being that way about the price, (no threats yet though) So far as I know, they haven't moved off $ 30K. So...Screw it!
                                    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by Jamey E View Post
                                      I’d say scrap her then!! Nobody is going to pay over $5000 for that boring machine
                                      Someone did.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike V. Florida View Post

Someone did.
                                        Crazy!

Comment

While I won't go so far as to say I will scrap something,I do understand his attitude.In the last few years something has changed about selling stuff.People that normally would not be buyers,are now because of the internet.There were always lowballers,you could just say no thanks and start talking about something else.I have had to go to,this is the price,you can pay it or pass.I have been getting a new wave of insulting people that feel because they want it they should own it for what they want to pay.There is no such thing as a negotiating point,and I hear a lot of,I never pay the asking price.When I hear that I am hearing,I'm not buying this.I always tell people everything I know about something.It is mostly old stuff,and that makes it easy to be honest.It can all break at any minute.While I've sold a few hundred cars,I will never make a good used car salesman.I was selling a friends Jeep a few weeks ago,and a man and his son came over to look at it.After talking to him for a few minutes I told him it was not a car for them.It was a fixer upper,and they were talking about buying some tools and watching youtube to fix it up.It just wouldn't have been right.

Comment

Somewhat of a similar story that for some strange reason I remember. Years and years ago when I was a youngster my Grandfather sent to a junkyard about 20 miles when I was about 14 or 15. I was happy to jump in the Studebaker truck and go for a ride. Anyway when I get there this fella is arguing with Mr Juliani. I remember $5 soaped on a windshield and the fella only willing to now pay $3. Mr Juliani said when he called he was told the price which was agreed to and the windshield removed for him. The fella still wouldn't pay the $5 so Mr Juliani took a hammer and smashed the windshield telling the fella to get out and never come back. I'm thinking he had a problem with this guy before. I still think about it every now and again and smile.

Comment

That has always been a common thing with junkies.I saw a man walk out of the yard and tell the owner he had just found a Pinto with new exhaust on it.He asked if he could buy it,and the owner said,sure,and he took the loader out back to pick it up and put it on stands.A half hour later the guy walks back out with the exhaust,lays it on the ground and asks,how much? The owner said five bucks.I was kind of shocked to hear the guy say,take three? I was even more surprised when the owner said sure,leaned out of the loader and took the money.Then he put the loader in gear and ran right over the exhaust system.He yelled back,there is a $3.exhaust system!Then he drove off in the loader.The guy took a couple of steps to go after him,then looked at the guys in the yard.Nobody was threatening him,actually everybody was laughing but he decided to walk away.I told him the muffler wasn't hurt,so he still got his moneys worth.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith True View Post
                                                While I won't go so far as to say I will scrap something,I do understand his attitude.In the last few years something has changed about selling stuff.People that normally would not be buyers,are now because of the internet.There were always lowballers,you could just say no thanks and start talking about something else..
                                                In the past if you had a part to sell you had a limited audience. swap meets, local papers., national group newsletters. A buyer would grab up a part, appliance, tool, whatever because he needed it and there was perhaps only one he could find and already spent too much money on travel to a swap meet to go home empty handed. Add in the "I might need it later and have not seen it before" and the price goes up. Only one source, high price.

Let's look at today. We have the internet with access to many auctions sites (ebay, ebid, bonanza, mercari etc.), local sites for parts (letgo, craigslist, facebook market, etc), never mind all the new part sites. So now the buyer has choices he can shop and look for the best price. He sees the things he thought were rare and realizes they are not as rare as he thought. Prices go down when the availability goes up.

As always this is my opinion and yours may vary. By the way my father was just like the guy we are talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike V. Florida View Post

In the past if you had a part to sell you had a limited audience. swap meets, local papers., national group newsletters. A buyer would grab up a part, appliance, tool, whatever because he needed it and there was perhaps only one he could find and already spent too much money on travel to a swap meet to go home empty handed. Add in the "I might need it later and have not seen it before" and the price goes up. Only one source, high price.

Let's look at today. We have the internet with access to many auctions sites (ebay, ebid, bonanza, mercari etc.), local sites for parts (letgo, craigslist, facebook market, etc), never mind all the new part sites. So now the buyer has choices he can shop and look for the best price. He sees the things he thought were rare and realizes they are not as rare as he thought. Prices go down when the availability goes up.

As always this is my opinion and yours may vary. By the way my father was just like the guy we are talking about.
                                                  Also one of the reasons contributing to having the bottom fall out of collecting antique glassware. Cut glass, depression glass, etc. etc. I collected Match box cars when I was a kid, never played with, original boxes.. Since the internet is flooded - not worth anything. The original series has some value, but anything after that not worth much.

Comment