Oil leaking? Think it is the rear main? read this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil leaking? Think it is the rear main? read this

Several threads have popped up here about various oil leaks.
    Well, on vintage stuff, ya gonna have'em.
    But we try to keep them small.

If you think you have a rear main leak, Rich Fallucca has a good read on this:
    http://antiqueenginerebuilding.com/REARMAINLEAK.html

BUT there is one more thing to check, and it might be worth it to check this first:
    (ya learn a lot from the old-timers)
    The right front motor mount bolt goes all the way thru the timing cover. Meaning it is subjected to a boatload of oil.
    Oil can easily work its way out here, and run rearward along the top edge of the pan, and work its way down the flywheel housing and end up right where it appears to be coming from the rear main.

Be sure to remove this bolt, clean it and the timing cover threads well, and re-install using Permatex Ultra Black gasket sealer.
    We avoid the blue sealer since it will not stand up to petroleum products.
    Have fixed a lot of 'rear main' leaks this way!

Learn something new everyday! Read a ton on this subject and this is a new one to add to the list for sure!

Comment

Thats good info:

there are also some front pan bolts that go into open holes into the oil on the timing cover. I forget exactly which ones, does anyone know?
      3 ~ Tudor's
      Henry Ford said
      "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Even "normal" mist from the oil cap can blow back under the starter & onto the flywheel cover & appear to be a rear main leak! This usually happens on a LONG, FAST trip. An old sock, over the filler will prevent it.
        NOTE: If you BANG the oil cap down REAL TIGHT, you WILL REALLY have a REAR MAIN LEAK!! It'll go away when you reset the cap properly.---(ASK ME HOW I KNOW?) At the COFFEE HOLE, someone asked, "WHY is Minerva PUKING"?
        Bill W.
        Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 05-27-2017, 11:11 AM. Reason: I fergot sumpthing!

Comment

The over tight oil filler or breather cap, really bit a couple of guys in one of the clubs I belong to. They put a borrowed engine in and within a few miles at the start of a tour, oil was pouring out the back. They took it out, and the owner of the engine walked in and noticed the cap jammed on. My neighbor is now "borrowing" that same engine, while he rebuilds his, and it doesn't leak

Comment

Yeah, I kept having this leak from my fresh new built. It is my fault. The fly/block gasket while motor was waiting to install had got wet, dried and was a little wrinkled. I said what the hell and put a little gasket sealer on it....paid the price for .75 cents and had to pull engine again. New gasket and RTV should resolve the issue no oil on main bolts or fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Beauford View Post
              Yeah, I kept having this leak from my fresh new built. It is my fault. The fly/block gasket while motor was waiting to install had got wet, dried and was a little wrinkled. I said what the hell and put a little gasket sealer on it....paid the price for .75 cents and had to pull engine again. New gasket and RTV should resolve the issue no oil on main bolts or fly.
              I guess you mean the rear camshaft gasket! Yes they will leak like a sieve
              i am glad you got it resolved, as i said from the get go, you shouldnt be leaking that much on a new motor.
              3 ~ Tudor's
              Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Yup...not James fault for sure. Just a over anxious and lack of time trying to do things too quick. I have paid the price. So when I get off work in the morning I hope to have gasket, shims, housing adjusted, flywheel on and aligned with pressure plate and clutch disc. Sleep, go back to work, get off and hoist motor in, sleep and go back to work. Hopefully everyone else will have a nice long weekend!

Comment

I still have a slight weeping of oil. James told me to snug pan bolts which I did but still get a little coming down the dust cover. The weird thing is the chassis hasn't been started in a week and the car is facing slightly down hill in my side yard while I'm painting in the garage. I am going to get UV / Dye to figure this one out. I will post pics this week.

Comment

Originally posted by Beauford View Post
                    I still have a slight weeping of oil. James told me to snug pan bolts which I did but still get a little coming down the dust cover. The weird thing is the chassis hasn't been started in a week and the car is facing slightly down hill in my side yard while I'm painting in the garage. I am going to get UV / Dye to figure this one out. I will post pics this week.
                    Just in case,

http://www.sacramentocapitolas.org/s...et-Article.pdf
                    3 ~ Tudor's
                    Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Interesting....

Comment

Can't be a rear main if its not coming out hole nor while running but what the hell I know....I just look at that "Red" book and put stuff together. LOL

Comment

I sent my check in for a local club, met another A'er (I know 3 now, 240 years of combined knowledge) and have Les book. Shouldn't leak stop? I heard that at the other place all the time. HAHAHHAHA...problem should be solved!!!

Comment