Need starter help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need starter help.

1931 with model B engine. starter has locked up in the flywheel. I cannot get it to release. Moved the vehicle forward and backward, wheels just slide. removed starter bolts, no help ? Any advice ?? thanks. [email protected]

Welcome to the VFF!

Try wacking it out with a piece of wood and a hammer when its unbolted and or rock her in 3rd gear at the same time .. once you remove it see if the armature shaft is bent which could be the cause of it getting stuck to begin with. Also check to make sure the ring gear is fully seated on the flywheel
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

In some very severe cases people have had to actually disassemble the starter itself while still in the car.
      Rocking in 3rd will usually do it, tho.
      Maybe Tom W will see this and chime in

Comment

ckain16, WELCOME to VFF, glad to have you around!!

I've always just placed the car in 3rd and rocked it back to dislodge the starter.
        You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

I've never had one fail to release when I put the car in third and rock it. Unbolting it would be the next thing to try, then rock it again. I'd hate to think you need to remove the end plate and case to turn the armature with a strap wrench. That would really be extreme, but I do recall someone saying they had to do that.

Comment

A model A starter has 3 mounting bolts, 2 are easy to see, the one on the block side is hidden, your sure all your bolts are out? I tried rocking the car and that didn't help me, removed the bolts and pushed the starter motor towards the block.

Comment

In DIFFICULT cases, remove starter bolts & WHAM the top of the starter with a 4 X 4 & a BIG HAMMER.
              Don't remember the location, but Chief drilled a hole in the forward, right side of the bell housing & used a BIG screwdriver to unlock them. Also handy when trying to find the timing gear DIMPLE GOODY!
              Dad Crude

Comment

Any luck yet on getting the starter out
                3 ~ Tudor's
                Henry Ford said
                "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Jamey E
                  Starter issues
                  by Jamey E
                  So, what would cause a starter to not do anything after the car being ran for a while? This is on a 30’ roadster. Car started fine this morning, car was drove for an hour or so, & now the starter won’t do anything. Any ideas?
                  05-02-2020, 05:12 PM
                • Jm29henry
                  Starter seems to be hanging up ?
                  by Jm29henry
                  i have installed this starter on my car about four years ago last Saturday I went out for a drive she ran started an ran fantastic .Before returning home I decided to fill up with gas,when I started the starter started the car and then made a weird grinding noise I sounded to me like the starter spring did not fully return and was hanging up .When I got home I look at the starter rod was moving freely...
                  08-18-2017, 06:36 PM
                • sideline
                  Starter
                  by sideline
                  I may have missed it but I searched the archives and didn’t find the answer to my question. My car is a1929 still 6 volt with no plans to switch to 12 volt.

My starter is sticking and doesn’t seem to be disengaging from the flywheel. I’ve rocked the car back and forth and got it to pop loose a few times. I’m thinking it’s time to replace the starter drive. Also, when I swapped...
                  09-27-2019, 10:08 AM
                • ken sungela
                  converting starter from 6v to 12v
                  by ken sungela
                  Hi,
                  My first post here. I'm working on a 1930 model A and purchased the 12V field coils for the starter. I took them along with the starter to a rebuilder who installed the coils, but couldn't get the starter to work. He said the armature needs to be reversed or the end plate turned(but then the bolts holes don't line up) in order for it to work. So I am stuck. Can anyone share instructions...
                  08-04-2019, 07:46 AM
                • pede58
                  New member, starter problems.
                  by pede58
                  First off I'm not an owner but I work for a wedding venue that just acquired one, so I have my first problem. 1928 Phantom older restoration, wouldn't start, dead battery, replaced, starter still don't work and guessing it was stuck in the flywheel so I pulled it, no big deal. Noticed the tiny spring was bad so off to the local rebuild shop, they've been around since the teens, actually had a rebuilt...
                  08-16-2019, 06:12 PM
                • DUProf
                  Starter Motor and Bendix
                  by DUProf
                  I have a heavily-used largely ‘29. Still a 6 volt system. One of the changes that occurred over years of use was change to a push-button start on the dash. Attaches through a solenoid on the firewall. Recently the starter motor stuck ‘on’ during a brief 2 block drive; only discovered as I turned off the engine. Fiddling with the switch caused the starter motor to stop running. On attempted restart...
                  07-09-2019, 09:25 AM
                • 53Ohmygosh
                  Starter won’t engage
                  by 53Ohmygosh
                  I have an original 51 Ford F100 pick up v8 still 6 volt and now when I push the starter button nothing happens but if I jump a wire from the negative post on battery to the same connection on the starter solenoid where the wire from the starter button connects the starter will
                  engage. None of the wiring has been messed with but I did replace the solenoid thinking that might be the problem but...
                  10-17-2019, 03:05 PM
                • dmdeaton
                  12 Volt Starter
                  by dmdeaton
                  What's everyone doing for a starter with 12 V? I see Snyder's sells a reduced gear new starter that is a little pricey. Have to install a electric switch to pull in the solenoid....
                  11-20-2017, 06:29 PM
                • JohnB15632
                  Starter issues
                  by JohnB15632
                  My starter used to work. No it doesn't.
                  Yesterday I put on a new positive power cable. Now have power to the starter post. Put on new starter switch. Depressed the starter switch and got nothing.
                  I took the starter off. I have 12 vdc + at the end of the jumper wires. I connected the negative to the case of the starter. When I touched the positive red lead to the post, I got large sparks....
                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 2 photos.
                  08-14-2019, 08:51 AM
                • Pklarkin
                  Starter Hang Up?
                  by Pklarkin
                  Hi all,

The new site looks great! Asking for your help with a sticky issue I've been wrestling with.

My restoration was coming along well until I tried to crank the new engine for the first time today. I've upgraded to a 12v system and put in the modern Bendix drive on the existing starter. When I try to crank the engine, I get a click and then nothing. The starter seems...
                  09-05-2017, 07:17 AM
                Working...
                X