Top kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top kit

I bought a Vicky vinyl top kit a few years ago. Finally got around to taking it out. I have enough for 2 PU's, but the half inch foam is a 1/4" already. It's a Juliano kit 10-20 years old. What can I use instead of the foam ? I've heard bad things about the foam. Heavy wool blanket, cotton blanket doubled up, or just buy the batting from ?
    Model A's and of course the famous AA's

I used two or three wool blankets.
    Grandma furnished the chicken wire, father inlaw furnished the wool blankets. Most use cotton

Comment

• pAAt
      pAAt commented
      Editing a comment
      You have good relatives BH ! I'm on the end of the line now, but still have a few things they left behind Thanks !!

If you go to the local fabric store, they will have some different types of batting you can use. The trick is not to make the roof too puffy.

Comment

• pAAt
      pAAt commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Ed ! Fabric stores are for chicks..............and Model A guys I guess !! I will try to do that, if they are close to Fleet Farm

If you ever get up my way, there is a huge fabric surplus store next to the bearing and seal store, about 5 miles west of me, and next to Fleet Farm. One time I was in there trying to match my Model A fabric samples, and they had a full roll of fabric identical to the ceiling and door panel material. I should have bought the whole roll, because it was gone the next time I stopped in.

Comment

• pAAt
      pAAt commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Tom ! I've bent that Fleet Farm many times, since I used to live in Anoka. We were neighbors for 25 years and I truly missed out on meeting you then. I will be up soon, summer chores are dwindling now and time for A stuff again. P.S. the bearing store just north of FF ? Been there too !

Chicken Wire is fur CHICKENS, but it won't keep SNAKES OUT!
    Dad Farmer

Comment

• pAAt
      pAAt commented
      Editing a comment
      We like snakes here Bill. My Pa-in-law (RIP) loved to hunt rattle snakes ! Timber rattlers up here and Diamond backs in Sweetwater, Texas. The wife and I went with them 30 years ago and my legs are still shaking some. I need to get out and do something today, the temps finally above 60 degrees now. Looks to be a great day for something.

Great day to you, Pat

• Beauford
      Beauford commented
      Editing a comment
      No it wont keep snakes out...I put golf balls in nesting boxes. The chickens don't think I'm stealing their eggs and Mr Black snake swallows the golf ball and wanders off with bad constipation.

That's FUNNY, Beauford! Once saw a snake that swallowed something BIG, don't know what it was???
    While cuttin' in a brush pile, a SNAKE peeked out. Like in the movies, I ZAPPED him with the CHAINSAW! It was jist a BIG LIZZARD & I only cut off his TAIL! The tail jumped & wiggled for 5 MINUTES!
    KDad Scared

Comment

The stuff my wife uses to make quilts from looks like it would be great for that type of padding. I haven't used it myself, just saying. She gets a product called "Warm & Natural" from JoAnn Fabrics.
      Alaskan A's
      Antique Auto Mushers of Alaska
      Model A Ford Club of America
      Model A Restorers Club
      Antique Automobile Club of America
      Mullins Owners Club

Comment

Check out the parts vendors for a roof topping options DVD on how to install "masonite " or door skins, indoor outdoor carpet, etc.(all from the big box stores) under the vinyl material. We once had a coupe that had this and was an excellent option. No chicken wire and padding is used, at minimal cost and installation ease. It's also beneficial to leave the grained vinyl out in the sun before stretching and application.
        Last edited by plyfor; 09-07-2017, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Paragon
          top material installation order
          by Paragon
          I'm ready to install the top material in my 30 coupe which has been painted, assembled on the chassis, etc. I read in one article that the upholstery should be installed first for ease of installation, then the top material. I'm in a position to move in either direction and welcome any thoughts on the matter....
          01-08-2019, 07:30 AM
        • Bill G
          '29 Tudor top installation
          by Bill G
          I have been getting ready to install my new top on my '29 Tudor. I have been studying the information at Marcos' website, particularly the article found here:

http://www.abarnyard.com/workshop/roofinstall-1.htm

The chicken wire has been stapled to the bows and lays nice and flat all the way around, and the batting material has been measured, cut and fitted to lie on top...
          05-24-2019, 04:17 PM
        • Art Ebeling
          Vickie roof
          by Art Ebeling
          This is installing the roof on my 31 Victoria today and yesterday and the day before.... What a tedious job, The moldings were formed first by securing in the groove in the body one loose nail at a time and bending in baby steps and then gently removing, We used chicken wire then 1/4 " open cell foam and then the vinyl roof material, sealed the nailheads and then nailed the moldings on....
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.
          08-17-2017, 04:31 PM
        • Dennis
          Seat cushions 29 Tudor
          by Dennis
          I'm in the process of reupholstering my front seats and undecided on what to do about the cushions. The cotton batting is all lumpy and uneven. The original material had been covered with other material that had some padding sewn into it when it was tacked down over the original, but didn't harm anything. The frames, springs and all are in excellent shape except for the cotton pad. The original...
          10-21-2018, 11:30 PM
        • Ed Saniewski
          Early 31 ccpu top
          by Ed Saniewski
          Dose the cotton batting on top only cover the wood and chicken wire, or dose the cotton continue down to the drip rails? Can anyone lead me to a thread on applying top material to an 82B? Thanks
          02-16-2018, 05:57 AM
        • pAAt
          28/29 CCPU Top installation
          by pAAt
          I was told to buy the LeBaron Bonney kit for my roof top. I found it comes in 2 materials ( colonial grain n-10 and vinyl x148 ) and brown or black. Would there be a difference in durability and ease of installation between these two ? Any tips on installation would also be helpful. Thanks, Pat
          06-14-2017, 03:59 AM
        • Bikerider58
          Roof welt and sealing
          by Bikerider58
          The coupe was restored 20+ yrs ago. Garage kept, so the cover looks okay with no cracking. However, the thread in the Hidem welt has rotted away and the cord is separating. The interior is fine with no stains so I do not want to mess it up.

Washing car has not resulted in any leaks.

How hard is it to replace the welt? Do I need any special tools to pull or replace tacks?...
          This gallery has 2 photos.
          06-15-2018, 11:09 AM
        • sideline
          Steel Roof
          by sideline
          At some point during its 90 year life My 29 five window coupe has had a steel roof installed. The good thing is no leaks but I would prefer a more stock look. Does anyone have experience putting vinyl on top of the steel? Is this something you would recommend against? If I get up on a ladder and look down I can see the seams.
          Lizzie is running and driving pretty good now and I’m starting...
          05-02-2019, 06:27 PM
        • carolinamudwalker
          Mitch's upostery kit
          by carolinamudwalker
          Hey Mitch, I got a kit from a discount house, had it installed in a day.
          This gallery has 1 photos.
          04-18-2019, 01:54 PM
        • GranTudor
          Installing Top for 1930 Tudor
          by GranTudor
          I am restoring a 1930 Tudor that had never been in the shape of a complete car when I bought the car 35 years ago. I have rebuilt the car including the top and have just the top material to install. I have read many articles on how to, but need info on gluing, tack spacing and nail type and spacing for the gutters (using originals) and front and back metal original closures or covers. Thanks in advance...
          11-18-2017, 12:53 PM
        Working...
        X