Old wood care ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old wood care ?

What could I use to rejuvenate good old "A" wood ? Really nice wood, but a tad bit dry I would say.
    Model A's and of course the famous AA's

Linseed oil ? 20-50 used grade A oil ? Any wood workers out there !!! ?? or leave it to shrink up ?

Comment

On an old wood deck I've use Thompson's water seal. What wood are you talking about?

Comment

• pAAt
        pAAt commented
        Editing a comment
        28 Pickup roof wood, Big hammer. Seems to be good, but dry is all.

Ever notice the old vertical board Tabaco barns in some of the eastern states, and how they are usually very dark, almost black. I heard they use old drain oil to preserve the wood. Does anyone know if this is true?

Also interesting is most of the barns east of the Mississippi I've seen have vertical boards, while most west of the river have horizontal boards. I like the looks of the vertical boards better.

Comment

• pAAt
        pAAt commented
        Editing a comment
        Tom, I can ask a friend in Virginia that question. I know they use Oak boards in the Tennessee area and being vertical there's no trapping of moisture.

I'm getting ready to put the top on my cab, I'd like to know if I should oil or treat the wood a little before I do so. Thanks !

Originally posted by pAAt View Post
      Linseed oil ? 20-50 used grade A oil ? Any wood workers out there !!! ?? or leave it to shrink up ?
      i think i would use 50/50 linseed oil,mineral spirits.linseed oil tends to stay tacky a long time when used 100%

Comment

I would pass on motor oil.
        50-50 linseed as above or maybe Tung oil

anyone know a good HS shop teacher

Comment

I'm no wood expert, but I like the idea of Tung oil.

Comment

Taken from Wikipedia

Tung oil is very popular today because of 2 properties: First it is natural or "green" product when it has dried.[citation needed] Secondly, after it cures (5 to 30 days, weather/temperature related), the result is a very hard and easily repaired finish. This is why it is used on boat decks and now on floors. The oil is often diluted with hydrocarbon thinner so that the viscosity is very low and enables the oil to penetrate the finest grain woods. This thinning vehicle evaporates within 15 to 20 minutes and results in a totally green residual finish. As mentioned above, when applied in many fine/thinner coats over wood, tung oil slowly cures to a satin "wetted wood" look with slight golden tint. Tung oil resists liquid water better than any other pure oil finish and does not darken noticeably with age and is claimed to be less susceptible to mould than linseed oil.[7] Most importantly, of all the oil finishes, tung oil is the only drying oil that will polymerize 100% (completely harden). Linseed oil, for example, never completely hardens.[citation needed]

Since tung oil has become popular as an environmentally friendly wood finish, some products labelled as "tung oil" are actually blends containing other oils, varnishes, solvents, or chemical driers, and may even containing no tung oil at all[8] Products labeled "Danish oil" may be tung oil or they may be polymerized linseed oil. The product packaging will usually clearly state if it is pure tung oil.

I think I'll give this a try with a 50-50 mix. Thanks, Pat

Comment

We use pure Tung oil ($$) available from a local exotic wood supplier on exterior teak doors. It can remain tacky to touch (depending on substrate) if not very slightly diluted so may not be good for areas under upholstery due to bleeding in high temps. Out door exposure, we've noted the tung oil can pick up and retain a little dust, so experiment for your material and exposure.
            As an aside, I'd question the notion that tung oil is ( now ) suitable for floors and decks ,compared to modern urethanes which control gloss levels and are very durable.
            Last edited by plyfor; 09-07-2017, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Maybe this for dry wood, http://www.themakeyourownzone.com/20...project-2.html

Comment

There is an article regarding this in the current issue of "The Restorer" (MAFCA)
                Alaskan A's
                Antique Auto Mushers of Alaska
                Model A Ford Club of America
                Model A Restorers Club
                Antique Automobile Club of America
                Mullins Owners Club

Comment

Something I noticed yesterday at HD that I have never payed attention to was japan drier. I have never noticed it on the shelf and didn't know there was such a thing. Check it out, speeds up drying. I read they mix it with boiled linseed oil and alkyd resin paints to speed up drying.

Comment

Boiled Linseed oil is the best for old wood. Don't use the raw stuff.
                    Brian

Comment