Hinge pin mirror issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hinge pin mirror issues

I have hinge pin mirrors on my 30 tudor, the gap between the hinge and the mirror is probably 1/4" when i screw the set screw in it almost threads completely thru the mirror, I shimmed up the gap with a piecece of aluminum strap wrapped in black duct tape to prevent marring but this does not hold the mirror in place . Any suggestions?

So is the set screw is to short?
    4~ Tudor's
    1~ Coupe

Henry Ford said,
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Yes mitch it is but when i screw it all the way in there is hardly any screw left in the mirror body, i tried a shim between the mirror body and the hinge face but it will not stay in place i could get a longer screw but i also do not want to chip the paint because of the screw.

Comment

• Mitch
        Mitch commented
        Editing a comment
        I have that style on one of my Tudors and they seem to stay put without using the set screws. I was worried about the paint also, so tonight when i get home i will scope out the situation for you

Pix please I am having trouble visualizing the problem

Comment

• BNCHIEF
        BNCHIEF commented
        Editing a comment
        T bird i will get a picture of the issue and post it later today.

The set screws that come with the hinge mirrors are too short. A trip to the hardware store for longer screws solved the problem.
      Alaskan A's
      Antique Auto Mushers of Alaska
      Model A Ford Club of America
      Model A Restorers Club
      Antique Automobile Club of America
      Mullins Owners Club

Comment

Carl i will do that you would think when they build something they might check to see if it works.

Comment

• CarlG
          CarlG commented
          Editing a comment
          It's a Vintique thing :>)

• BNCHIEF
          BNCHIEF commented
          Editing a comment
          You nailed it exactly.

You know something, I got a pair of left and right upper hinge mirror brackets that were labeled from Vintique and both are very close to the actual hinge body and didn't require a longer set screw.

I am reading this and wondering if there wasn't some difference in the thickness of the hinge brackets themselves. Since I only have my transitional '28 Tudor, I don't have any to compare it to, but you can bet that Thursday at cruise I will be checking the different year/models that we have in the club.
        You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

Chief how did you ever make out with the mirror issue? I forgot to ck mine out that day but 3 weeks later i remembered the thread.
          4~ Tudor's
          1~ Coupe

Henry Ford said,
          "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Originally posted by CarlG View Post
            The set screws that come with the hinge mirrors are too short. A trip to the hardware store for longer screws solved the problem.
            I replaced the allens with the longer stainless machine screws.

Comment

Mitch I did exactly what Mike said I used an allen head socket screw and trimmed them to fit so they actually do not look too bad.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• rheacox
                Rattling side mirror hinge pin
                by rheacox
                This problem has finally gotten annoying enough to post about here. My top drivers side door hinge has a very annoying vibration and I'm 95% sure it's caused by a poor fitting bolt used with the side mirror that's attached to the hinge. I can quiet it if I reach out and grab the hinge but that gets old fast. I could probably just order a hinge pin, pull the mirror and cure my problem but...
                09-05-2019, 09:48 AM
              • DesertG
                Hinge Pin Mirror Success
                by DesertG
                I love it when something works out. Hinge pin did not come out with punch or air hammer, but came out like butter with Snyder's tool. Drilled out hinge mirror to fit 5" convex mirror shaft, added chrome allen head bolt. I am happy!...
                12-30-2021, 12:16 PM
              • H. L. Chauvin
                Six-Inch (6") Diameter Convex Model A Door Mounted L & R Mirrors
                by H. L. Chauvin
                A. Because of our today's, 2018 modern style, weaving in-and-out fast traffic, texting and phoning while driving, following too closely, etc., just for highway's safety's sake in heavy traffic in urban areas, I just decided "try" to install larger diameter "Convex" L & R door clip mounted mirrors on my 1930 Town Sedan to provide more wide angle rear viewing.

04-23-2018, 12:36 AM
              • conaway2
                Two Questions - Windshield Stanchion Mirror and Roadster Door Hinge Screws
                by conaway2
                First Question - I have installed the rear view mirror on a ‘31 roadster windshield stanchion - the one that vendors sell. It’s pretty small - 4” - and gives limited rear view vision. Does anyone know of a larger panoramic mirror that will fit on the mirror arm ? Pic is from Bratton’s catalog, where I bought the mirror.

Second question - I need several roadster door hinge...
                01-06-2021, 06:05 PM
              • smittykid
                Hinge pin mirrors for Victoria
                by smittykid
                I read somewhere that there is a company that makes hinge pin mirrors for the Vicky and S/W. I guess Bert's sells the correct size hinge pins, but not the mirrors. According to what I read, the mirrors have to be drilled out a little to accommodate the wider pin. Who sells the hinge pin mirrors that will fit a Vicky? Thanks, Smitty...
                09-26-2017, 08:25 AM
              • Oldtruckguy
                Fix for improving side-view mirror
                by Oldtruckguy
                I recently acquired my uncle’s 1950 Ford Custom which I remember him buying new when I was a kid. I was having trouble seeing anything out of the passenger side view mirror. I bought a “Blind spot mirror” and I can see everything now....
                09-01-2020, 10:23 AM
              • TNGIZMO
                Does this accessory exist?
                by TNGIZMO
                Was there a day/night inside mirror ever made for the model A. I know that's what the rear curtain was for (which I don't have) it's a long way back to reach verses flipping a mirror.
                12-02-2019, 07:59 AM
              • H. L. Chauvin
                Modifying 1930 Town Sedan Rear View Mirror
                by H. L. Chauvin
                This may or may not help someone who would prefer to feel safer while having Model A rear view mirrors & peep mirrors where one can see "everything" like that of a riding in a new, modern car.

Anyway, FWIW: Ever since I had my 1930 TS I have noticed two (2) important Life Safety things while traveling in slow moving or fast moving heavy multi-lane traffic.

A....
                06-24-2018, 02:30 PM
              • mysarah
                Model A mirrors
                by mysarah
                I'm a little curious. When I first started regularly driving my newly purchased Model A (Sarah), the first thing I noticed was the rear-view mirrors, or rather the lack of them. My first purchase for the car were two aftermarket mirrors that could be easily attached and removed, but would provide a full view of the traffic around me. In my obsession with Model A YouTube videos and meeting local A...
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 2 photos.
                11-15-2018, 04:52 PM
              • Bill G
                Rear view mirror question
                by Bill G
                I have a 29 Tudor and I have the stock rear-view mirror mounting. I have always observed that I would get a better view if the mirror just hung an inch or so lower. I have been thinking of ways of doing this. I was looking at the vendor catalogs and noticed that the 30-31 mirror mount does look like it might hang lower. If that is the case, I am wondering if the screw holes of the 30-31 bracket...
                01-02-2021, 08:04 PM
              Working...
              X