F-150 OD Drip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F-150 OD Drip

I installed an 87 F-150 Tranny a few years ago and I have developed an annoying drip at the tranny to bellhousing joint. I was considering trying out either a Lucas type gear oil stop leak or one of the Penrite Products that I've heard work so well on the steering box leaks. Anyone have any experience with either products or thoughts on their use on modern std trannys? I'm not sure what to think of the fluid viscosity in the F-150 vs the SAE 85 - W 140 gear oil that I am currently using. I should add that it's not nearly bad enough to warrant tearing it apart, to find the actual cure, at least during the season when I get to enjoy running it.

the fluid spec from ford is part # D8DZ-19C547-A which is 80W90 GL-4 gear oil

your already running a thicker oil in it. i wouldn't try the witches brew to plug the leak, you'll probably end up with hard shifting issues

just fix it right when u have the time..
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• JtownJoe
      JtownJoe commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanx Mitch, I appreciate the input. I'm going to switch to the 80W90 GL-4 gear oil that is spec'd and I think I'll just live with until it's a winter project.

Are you sure it's tranny fluid and not rear main??
    Paul in CT

Comment

• JtownJoe
      JtownJoe commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, it's thicker that the engine oil. Thanx

had similar issue with my F150 tranny which was overfilled. lowered the level slightly and also repacked universal joint clamshells with corn head grease. Check as per post 3 if engine oil. The front seals on the F150's can be suspect as well.

Comment

• JtownJoe
      JtownJoe commented
      Editing a comment
      I will look at the level again and check for any sign of leak at the U-joint clams. I did find the speedo cable nut appears to be stripped and it could be contributing to some of the leak.

Related Topics

Collapse

• Tom Wesenberg
    Tranny Leak at Shift Lever Pivot
    by Tom Wesenberg
    This is the first time I've seen a leak such as this.
    A club member is using gear oil from Bratton's, and I don't know if it has a foaming problem, or why the gear oil reached the shift lever pivot and leaked out.
    The color doesn't look normal either, but I don't know what color Bratton's gear oil is.
    I suggested he clean it, make sure the vent hole is open, then try another gear...
    07-29-2017, 07:49 AM
  • Greynomad
    Mitchell Overdrive and oil leak
    by Greynomad
    I have 4 As , all with a Mitchell O/D. The latest leaks oil badly from the centre of the diff. I assumed the restorer chased the threads, leaving them too sloppy and thus leak oil. After draining ALL of the oil, one by one I removed the bolts, cleaned the thread (both male and female) and put the bolt back with Permatex #3. The leak slowed but was still a pest. Then it dawned on me! The O/D blocks...
    09-22-2019, 05:17 PM
  • GARY FRANK
    50 F1 3 spd light duty trans with remote shift
    by GARY FRANK
    I seem to be getting leakage from the air vent on the top of the trans case. I have 90 wt Valvoline gear oil and you can only fill it to where it will leak out of the fill plug, so I don't think it's too full. The manual says capacitiy is 2.75 pts of gear oil. I didn't try to measure it but I figured filling it to where it's just about ready to run out would be suffice. Can you plug off or reduce...
    01-11-2019, 02:53 PM
  • Dennis
    The disappointing oil results.
    by Dennis
    I got the jug Mobilgear oil delivered to me a couple days ago and decided to clear the bench so I can move on. I would recommend not wasting your money on Mobilgear 600XP 460. It is actually SAE 140. I didn’t notice that before I ordered it. I also had a bottle of Mac’s 600W I bought in the past out of convenience from CW Moss. I had identical measuring cups from the laundry soap bottles that...
    07-08-2019, 11:19 AM
  • Tom Rode
    Significant oil leak
    by Tom Rode
    So I've been driving this car a week or two now, parked in garage it leaks no oil, go for a drive and come back and park it on driveway and it drips oil from the weep hole in the bell housing for 5 or 10 minutes after I return. Clearly leaking while running. Read some about clogged oil return line from the rear main bearing, and other issues regarding leak at bearing and/or seal. Have read other sources...
    11-13-2019, 08:34 AM
  • canadian
    differential oil leak
    by canadian
    29, got a major gear oil leak . coming from right axle tube at banjo . and input at torque tube. what am I to expect? gaskets? outer axles are dry....
    10-26-2019, 06:19 PM
  • CarlLaFong
    Oil Leak
    by CarlLaFong
    Well, after some, in depth, diagnosis, it seems my "oil leak" is, mostly coolant. I can't tell precisely where its coming from. The car has a pressurized system and an overflow added so I'll have to get it up to temp and have a look see. It is leaking oil from the rear main, as well. I think I'll drop the pan and Plastigauge it. I have a rather steep, long driveway here at The Fongderosa...
    01-15-2018, 02:06 PM
  • Tom Rode
    Yikes - Manufacturing Oil
    by Tom Rode
    Did some riding the past few days thanks to glorious run of weather. Now I find this morning that I am "making oil"!! I was 1/2 way between the F and L mark when I headed out yesterday, topped off water in radiator (most of which flow back out under expansion), when I parked for about 20 minutes at one stop noticed more than usual amount of oil under car when I pulled out (about 2 inch across...
    12-26-2019, 01:37 PM
  • Tudor31
    Transmission oil leak
    by Tudor31
    Maybe I shouldn't make any fuss about it, but after replacing the oil pan gaskets and getting rid of the oil leak from the pan, the few drops of oil from the transmission is annoying. The tower has been rebuilt and has a new gasket, the drain and fill plus are nice and tight, but there is still a couple of drops a day (dripping from the drain plug, but coming from somewhere else). The oil is 50/50...
    04-08-2019, 06:07 PM
  • kwisor
    leaking transmission oil from shift tower
    by kwisor
    hello
    I'm leaking oil from shifter how do I fix this
    thank you
    kevin...
    05-19-2017, 04:29 AM
Working...
X