Switching to synthetic oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching to synthetic oil

So as not to hijack the other oil thread on here, I thought I would ask a new question in a new thread.

It seems conventional wisdom says you can mix conventional oil and synthetic. Its also been reported that conventional oil will detract from the superior performance of synthetic oil and reduce its benefits.

It's also a given that a quart or more oil stays in the tray when changing a Model A's oil.

So, if one desires to switch to synthetic or synthetic blend, what procedure would you recommend?

Drain the oil
    pour a quart of synthetic down the tube to flush out the dipper
    reinstall the oil plug
    refill the crankcase
    Forget the blend just go full if ur doing it

a little mix wont hurt,,,

engine2.jpg

engine1.jpg
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

"Its also been reported that conventional oil will detract from the superior performance of synthetic oil and reduce its benefits."

this is not really a big deal, at all. You cannot reduce the benefits of synthetic, you would just have a small percent less of it
      Agree with Mitch 100%

Comment

• Mitch
        Mitch commented
        Editing a comment
        That being said if it was my car i would do as mentioned and then dump it again after a cruise.... what the hell u cant take it with ya

• BNCHIEF
        BNCHIEF commented
        Editing a comment
        Spend like you got it.

I run 15/50 synth in one of my A's

Oh and here is some more info!!!

Myth #3: Synthetic engine oils can wear down seals in an engine and cause leaks. This is an often-cited myth. In fact, if your seals and gaskets are in good condition,synthetic oil will not leak in your engine. ... Eventually, those small cracks and crevices can lead to bigger problems — with or without synthetic oil.

3 ~ Tudor's
      Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• tbirdtbird
        tbirdtbird commented
        Editing a comment
        where does stuff like this come from, anyway!!!

Why bother? I see absolutely no advantage to using synthetic oil in a Model A engine. If it's better for the engine prove it. It's like fake news.

Comment

• BNCHIEF
        BNCHIEF commented
        Editing a comment
        I would disagree with you I have torn down engines that used regular motor oil and synthetic the latter makes a huge difference I know from personal experience it lubricates better which is why you never put it in an engine that is not broke in.

Check out the Lubrication chapter in A. Graham Bell's 600 pg book on engine building and tuning,
      Four Stroke Performance Tuning, Haynes, 4th edition. There is a ton of proof why synthetics are better lubricants for any motor. He is a top-rated engine builder.
      Very interesting reading, in any event, even if you do not switch

Comment

There are two holes in the dipper.. One for the oil pump and one for the dip stick. When oil is added to the engine through the fill tube it goes directly onto the tray...
        3 ~ Tudor's
        Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

All auto oil producers sell a synthetic blend as well as conventional and full synthetic, so mixing won't be a problem.

Comment