BAD BRAKE JOB!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BAD BRAKE JOB!!

Last Wednesday I got a cute little '30 coupe that came from Vegas area a few months ago that the owner was complaining about the lack of brakes and running badly and wanted to get it fixed. So, while taking off the brakes to send to Randy Gross to have him do his magic I noticed something strange.

The right side brake rods were all the correct length, but the left side had the correct front and a way wrong rear. As you will see from the pictures, someone assembled the left rear backing plate wrong on the service brake concentric which placed it about 4in forward and cut the brake rod off to fit!

Now, think about this....since the brake needs to pivot forward when brakes are applied, this arc of the concentric had no where to go but pull the rod and concentric straight, effectively stopping ALL the other rods from pulling their respective pivots to apply the brakes, stopping all brake action.

I don't know who did the original build on this, but they turned a perfectly good Model A into a death trap!

Needless to say, it will be properly fixed before it leaves my driveway, but driving a car like this would scare the hell outa me.

It also has a Nurex distributor which I will be rebuilding back to stock. It's a wonder it ran at all.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.
    You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

They’ve got the right man on the job to fix this!
    Thanks for sharing Wiz.
    Jeff
    Twiss Collector Car Parts

Comment

I stopped being surprised at the stupid stuff people do to try and fix things years ago. The stuff some people do should be criminal, wait a minute, it is.
      Nice to see its being fixed before someone innocent gets hurt.

Comment

After you wire things together with bailing wire to get it home you have to remember to fix it correctly "if" you get it home. Messing with brakes is just plain STUPID! Well as that great philosopher Forest Gump said, "Stupid is as stupid does...." Chap

Comment

Where does on find Randy's info?

Comment

Randy Gross
            714-292-8660
            You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

REAL Baling wire is nifty, soft & winds up tight.
              Dad Pliers

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• minutemantom
                Brake Adjustment
                by minutemantom
                I just adjusted the brakes on my 31 Tudor using Mitch's method. I have steel brake drums but the brake linings look new and no wear on the brake parts. I bought this model A last November. Previous owner had replaced most brake parts. I always adjusted brakes using the notched board method. The brakes work better on this car than any Model A I have driven. It has a good pedal and stops straight. No
                08-11-2020, 03:58 PM
              • Mitch
                Brake Information & Adjustment Procedure
                by Mitch
                Brake Adjustment Procedure:

I've noticed posts about sticking brake pedals and poor brakes. If the brake rods are not set up correctly , the brakes will be poor even if all parts are new . Here is how I do mine . I first adjust the brake adjustment wedges at each wheel with the brake rods disconnected at the clevis end . I start by adjusting the wedges at the rear wheels...
                05-13-2017, 03:04 PM
              • Great Lakes Greg
                Brake wedge pills
                by Great Lakes Greg
                I hope this isn't too trivial. I have done a dozen brake jobs, and done right in my humble opinion. Mostly cast iron drums, arced shoes, centered by welding and grinding the tracks until the shoes are spot on centered, all new hardware. The front brake actuating lever is supposed to be 15 degrees forward. To attain this I always, and I mean always, have to add two pills to the front wedge. I can't...
                06-20-2020, 10:59 AM
              • Tom Wesenberg
                Brakes, Just When You Thought You'd Seen It All
                by Tom Wesenberg
                Two years ago I met a guy who was working on a Model A. It was a bare chassis and running gear when I saw it. The rear brake drums weren't installed yet, and I noticed he had the brake cam installed backwards. I mentioned it to him, but he insisted it was correct because the brake rods PUSH the brake levers to apply the brakes. I tried to convince him they PULL, but he insisted he was right. I'm still...
                04-03-2020, 02:53 AM
              • bosticjb
                BAD BRAKES
                by bosticjb
                Relined my brake shoes with new lining & had the drums turned and trued and now I don't have the braking power I had before , have put sevral miles and two adjustment but still very weak braking power,, any suggestions ?
                07-08-2019, 06:52 PM
              • Terry, NJ
                Front Brake Stuff
                by Terry, NJ
                Gotta get this thing fixed! Here's the problem, I step on the brakes and it goes into a death wobble. It seems to be with the R F brake, It seems the whole assy drops about a 1/16" and the bottom of the shoe is almost permanently engaged with the drum.The shoe assy is not centered with the drum. Please, what parts should I order? I'm not sure I fully understand just how the original brakes work....
                03-29-2020, 10:20 PM
              • Aretino
                1931 Coupe Rear Emergency/ Park Brake
                by Aretino
                When I purchased my 31 Coupe the rear emergency / park brake components ( under the drums) were removed. The brake handle and under car linkage is in tact. Were the emergency / park brakes problematic with these cars? Thinking about the purchase of a complte rebuild kits as advertised by "Mikes". The rebuild kits include everything including new drums and bearings. Anyone have experience...
                08-06-2019, 11:07 AM
              • DBaldwin
                Brake scare!
                by DBaldwin
                Yesterday I took my Tudor for a spin around the nieghborhood and as I was slowing down to pull up the driveway I lost all brakes as the pedal fell to the floor! I killed the ignition, pulled the e brake, double clutched and pulled it into first gear. Fortunately it came to a stop a couple of car lengths past my drive but just before I went down a 200’ drop in elevation to a dead end! First thing...
                10-19-2020, 08:03 AM
              • Terry, NJ
                A brake question
                by Terry, NJ
                As long as I can recall older guys were always saying "Mechanical brakes were fine, but you have to keep them adjusted!" That's OK, but there's more than one adjustment. I wonder just how important it is for the rods to be equal too. Here's the deal, In trying to bring the pedal up, I managed to raise the pedal by adjusting (with the square shaft shoe adjustment on the backing plate) I...
                08-01-2020, 03:21 PM
              • copgib
                Question for members who have juice brakes
                by copgib
                My question is: How do you have your emergency brake setup if you have hydraulic brakes all around?
                02-15-2018, 06:53 PM
              Working...
              X