Spark Plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spark Plugs

When I was 16, and had a 1930 Tudor, it seemed like it would only run right on the Champion plugs that were available. Over the years, I have been collecting old plugs that would fit. My coupe came with a set of Champion C-4 plugs, which I still have, I have several sets of ribbed Champion W16Y plugs and some singles: A pink Firestone Polonium S-40-CF, A Champion C-4 with a Brass top (with a broken porcelain and a bent screw), a Varcon S-9 and an AC 76. Today, it looks like the only ones around are the Motorcraft TT10, Smooth Champion W16Y and the incredibly expensive Champion 3X. I have been looking for a chart to see which of the 3 that are available are the hottest, since mine get sooty pretty fast if the car sits around idling for any time at all. Is there really any advantage to the 3X plugs other than the appearance of originality?

Since I don't have a chart that recognizes the Firestone plug I can't comment on those, but of the others listed, I believe the W16Y are the hottest of the group. Someone with a better chart than what I have will surely pipe up if I am wrong.
    You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

lengthy idling is not good for any engine,
      Dial back the mixture screw and the GAV, which does affect idle somewhat.
      Where is the soot?
      Around the perimeter is normal. It is the color of the porcelain that is important, and that should be a light tan

Comment

What Dave said, where is the soot?

A tech thread on plugs and heat ranges
        https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...and-dissection
        4~ Tudor's
        1~ Coupe

Henry Ford said,
        "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Covered with soot. Dry and not at all oily. All 4 exactly the same.
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

What number plug is that? Is your carb running rich?
            4~ Tudor's
            1~ Coupe

Henry Ford said,

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

That doesn't look like a heat range problem, the carb is too rich

Comment

A good running engine with a set of 3X should last 10,000 miles or more, well worth the cost.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlR82A View Post
                  A good running engine with a set of 3X should last 10,000 miles or more, well worth the cost.
                  X2 As Carl said everything needs to be up to snuff. Carb etc,etc.. I only run the 3X's
                  4~ Tudor's
                  1~ Coupe

Henry Ford said,

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Many of the repop jets flow too much fuel. Your best bet is to get flow tested jets from Renner's corner

Comment

Originally posted by tbirdtbird View Post
                      Many of the repop jets flow too much fuel. Your best bet is to get flow tested jets from Renner's corner
                      x2

Comment

Originally posted by tbirdtbird View Post
                        Many of the repop jets flow too much fuel.
                        All of the repop jets flow too much fuel Chinese junk made to WHATEVER specifications
                        4~ Tudor's
                        1~ Coupe

Henry Ford said,

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

It looks like I actually had two discussions going when one would have worked, but I wasn't planning for the spark plug chat to move over into the carburetor situation.

Once I had the fuel situation sort of under control, I tried to start the engine. This time, there was a little fuel drip after a little choking and trying to get it started, so the fuel supply problem appeared to be taken care of. I pulled a plug to see if I had gotten them wet and instead found all of them dry and covered with soot. So I got a new set of W16Y plugs, set the gap, checked the point gap (a little tight, but not too very much), and after putting everything back together tried to start it. Opened the tank valve, turned the gas adjusting valve (choke rod) closed and then open one turn. Pushed the timing lever all the way up and the throttle lever down about a third. Turned the key, pulled the choke, hit the button and it started right up. I backed it carefully out of the garage, pushed the throttle lever all the way up and it idled nicely. Closed the gas adjusting valve all the way, and the idle speed went up just a bit. Then I advanced the timing to about midpoint and went for a short ride. I can floor the gas pedal quickly and there is no pause or lurch. I will try driving it around a bit, without any extended idling and see if it starts to carbon up again. When I got the car back from my brother this winter, it wouldn't start and the fix was a new carburetor and a new set of plugs. Although there was quite a long period of inactivity, the engine has less than 500 miles on a total rebuild, and isn't likely even properly broken in yet.

Comment

After reading this thread and some related threads I became concerned that I would never be able to purchase 3X plugs. I followed a link to Napa that had them listed for $21.99. I contacted them and they found them in Indianapolis so I ordered 4. Today I picked them up and the guys were carrying on about them being the biggest spark plug box they have ever seen!! So talking to them they said they were considered NOS because they are being discontinued. I pay for my 4 plugs and see the original bulk box and ask if I could have it. Turns out they had to order a whole box of 10 to get my 4 so I thought what the heck and bought the whole box. Pretty cool looking.

Comment

Originally posted by Big guy View Post
                              After reading this thread and some related threads I became concerned that I would never be able to purchase 3X plugs
                              Where did you hear about them becoming obsolete? Agree the packaging on those 3X plugs is real nice as it should be for the price.
                              4~ Tudor's
                              1~ Coupe

Henry Ford said,

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Mitch it was Napa that made the comment of them being discontinued so the called my order New Old Stock

Comment

Our local Oreiley’s actually has the 3X in stock. Cost is $20 each. We recently purchased 4 for our car.

Comment

One thing I’ve noticed though, is the difference in length of spark plugs depending on manufacture. On newer engines that would be a big problem, guess not on the A’s

Comment

Originally posted by Jamey E View Post
                                      One thing I’ve noticed though, is the difference in length of spark plugs depending on manufacture. On newer engines that would be a big problem, guess not on the A’s
                                      Spark plug threads and head threads should end together. If the plug threads extend beyond the head then the threads sharp edges may heat up and cause preignition, and they can also collect deposits which can damage the head threads when the plugs are removed. If the plug threads are too short, then the head threads can collect deposits which make screwing in the correct plug difficult, and may damage the threads.

Comment

Instead of the W16's and 3X's (sorry Mitch) I would have tried the W18's first. JMO Vince's site has all you need to know about s/plugs.
                                        Paul in CT

Comment

Check out the thread, Spark Plug? By Manyherramientas.

I posted a link to the Champion heat range chart and comments regarding spark plug reach.

There is a non- Champion Company heat range post/list, floating around on the internet, that is incorrect but has been referenced for years by millions of people as being true. The Champion Company chart shows the correct heat range values for all of the spark plugs typically discussed and installed in Model A Fords. The variations in reach may alter performance. The W18 is my favorite plug and I believe it is an acceptable compromise on reach.
                                          Last edited by vonheine; 07-20-2019, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1931 Flamingo View Post
                                            Instead of the W16's and 3X's (sorry Mitch) I would have tried the W18's first. JMO Vince's site has all you need to know about s/plugs.
                                            Paul in CT
                                            We run W18's, now called # 518 I believe. A nice heat range with tan electrode color @ reasonable price.
                                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jamey E View Post
                                              Our local Oreiley’s actually has the 3X in stock. Cost is $20 each. We recently purchased 4 for our car.
                                              Jamey, what was Oreilly's part number for the 3X plugs?
                                              Last edited by Dennis; 07-20-2019, 12:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis View Post

Jamey, what was Oreilly's part number for the 3X plugs?
                                                I just stopped at Oreileys to get you the part# & was informed that the Champion 3X has been replaced by a Autolite 3076. I apologize for misleading you.

Comment

The 3Xs are what we put in the car 2 months ago from Oreileys.

Comment