The disappointing oil results.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The disappointing oil results.

I got the jug Mobilgear oil delivered to me a couple days ago and decided to clear the bench so I can move on. I would recommend not wasting your money on Mobilgear 600XP 460. It is actually SAE 140. I didn’t notice that before I ordered it. I also had a bottle of Mac’s 600W I bought in the past out of convenience from CW Moss. I had identical measuring cups from the laundry soap bottles that have level markings. In 5 seconds they poured exactly the same amount from each cup. Both were tipped at the same time. Also the Mobil oil looked and smelled exactly the same so those bottles of Mac’s 600W possibly could be SAE 140 which they don’t have a SAE number on their bottle.

I've had a similar suspicion for quite some time. I've also not seen any difference in operation between 140 and 250wgts.
    Last edited by Patrick; 07-08-2019, 04:45 PM.

Comment

You know the normal rear oil is designed for the shear forces of the modern hypoid gears.
      The oil for the A need to handle the high pressure of the straight cut gears.

From the website:
      The Mobilgear 600 XP Series are extra high performance gear oils having outstanding extreme pressure characteristics and load-carrying properties, intended for use in all types of enclosed gear drives with circulation or splash lubrication systems

So a bit of poking around and you can find the ISO Viscosity of the oil you bought which is 460.
      The SAE 140 has a ISO viscosity of around 400 also .

So it appears your findings are correct as the viscosity should be about the same between the two lubricants. There are more properties that you need to consider for proper lubrication.

You are assuming that the numbers mean the viscosity, but that is not true. They are more of a type or part number.
      Last edited by Kevin in NJ; 07-08-2019, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Well Dennis, should I order a bottle of the 680 and see what that's like?
        You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

Look at the label real close to get all the specifications on it. I can take a picture of my label and we could compare. Where are you finding the 680?
          Last edited by Dennis; 07-08-2019, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Don't really know for sure, Amazon I think had it. Hope it comes in quarts.

I'll let ya know.
            You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

I looked there and didn’t see it in quarts.

Comment

As Kevin says there is more to an oil then just how it flows.

Comment

Dennis, I just looked on Ebay and the 680 listed says it too is only 140, so screw that idea.

Let me see if I can find something suitable.

Comment

Try this. No foaming, and the vehicle operates as it should.
                    https://www.brattons.com/600-w-oil-f...nsmission.html
                    3 ~ Tudor's
                    Henry Ford said
                    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Well Dennis, today I reached out to an actually oil mixing company that I know makes oils up for other companies. Now I know I won't be ordering directly from them, but instead of needing to buy a 55gal drum of oil, they will direct me to one of their retailers who might be able to offer something in the 5gal size with the properties we need.

So, give me a few days to see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by DaWizard View Post
                        Well Dennis, today I reached out to an actually oil mixing company that I know makes oils up for other companies. Now I know I won't be ordering directly from them, but instead of needing to buy a 55gal drum of oil, they will direct me to one of their retailers who might be able to offer something in the 5gal size with the properties we need.

So, give me a few days to see what happens.
                        Dennis, FIVE gallons? If it's the right thing we could order a drum for you and a drum for me and buy quart cans and print labels and go in to business. West for you and east for me. Be entrepreneurs. Or, we could just sell it to Bratton's and the rest of the Model A parts dealers -- as the "Real Thing 660W".
                        Ted

Comment

Why not? Call it "Wiz Brew" all sizes and shapes at Amazon for bottles.

Comment

What does everyone think the SAE rating and/or the ISO rating for the stuff used in the A should be?

Comment

Well, since the 140 we are sold seems to be way too thin, at least something in the 300 to 600 weight, or close to the viscosity of STP oil treatment.

Comment

I use Lubriplate gear oil products. Anything from SPO277 through SPO299 in various cars, some British, some Ford, some Buick. Here's a product and spec sheet. Not affiliated in any way with Fisk.

https://www.lubriplate.com/Products/...-299-1-QT-BTL/

Comment

600W is not 600 weight. 600W is a name of an oil that is still being sold by Mobil.

"The Mobil Cylinder Oil brand of lubricants represents the earliest lubricant product marketed by our Corporation's predecessor companies. 600W Cylinder Oil was produced by the Vacuum Oil Company in the second half of the 19th century and was a breakthrough product of its time. Continual upgrading and application of the latest base oil and additive technology has maintained this product series as a leader in its application areas. While steam cylinder applications are now less common, the reputation of Mobil Cylinder Oils in worm gear applications remains unmatched among mineral-based products."

"Mobil Cylinder oils are high performance high viscosity oils designed for use in enclosed worm gears operating at moderate to high speeds and temperatures, and where heavy loads, slow speeds or high temperatures demand high viscosity oils."

If we were to look up the specifications of Mobil 600W, we would see that the ISO rating of the oil is 460. https://www.mobil.com/English-US/Ind...-Cylinder-Oils

If we look up the chart for ISO (International Standardization Organization) and SAE (Society of Auto Engineers) to see what the SAE number for the 480 we find, the SAE number is 140. https://www.gofurthergofs.com/Portal...lent-Chart.pdf

What does this all mean to us? Well honestly, nothing in my opinion owners have used every single thing imaginable in place of 600W and they all swear by it. For the record though 600W (the stuff Ford is reportedly to have used) is 140 SAE.

Comment