STUPID!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STUPID!

When I bought Minerva, her carb DRIBBLED, everywhere ! The seller sed, "I DON'T know why my tank is always EMPTY"? The benefit was a SUPER SHINY CLEAN TANK!
    Friend, Chuck, gave me a gasket kit. When I removed the through bolt to remove the bowl, I sed, "NO wonder it leaked, sumone used a LOCK washer"!!--At least, it wuzn't drilled fur a KOTTER KEY!-- Couldn't find a COPPER washer, TIGHTENED everything & it QUIT leaking, YEA!
    ANY of you want to CONFESS to STUPID things you've DONE????
    Dad Dufus
    Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 09-02-2017, 02:06 PM.

Yes, not Model A but I confess my sin of stupidity. I spent $800 have a new clock installed in my late Father's. Grandfather clock. Years later I purchased the proper oil an read about how to oil it... Problem is NOT to oil certain parts.. Yeah I mucked it up, quarter hour chin not working. UGH sorry Dad, I'll get your clock working again.. So there STUPID is me...

Comment

I have 2 "NEW ENGLAND" brand, weight driven clocks. I stopped one, when Pat passed & the other one, when Gregg passed.
      Dad Sad

Comment

Bill, I have done way too many stupid things to list here. One nearly burnt down a friends garage 32 years ago. Not really Model A related, but stock car related. Hard to beleive at 46 that I have been bending wrenches that long. Rod
        Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good.

Comment

I hate to admit this but I once installed new ceiling lights in my garage and i forgot to measure the garage door clearance and, you guessed it, The first time i hit the opener button the door chopped of the new lights I just put in! Bummer. I thought about all the important things like dedicated circuits and etc but forgot about the obvious.

Comment

About 6 months ago I backed a pick up with a very tall camper type back through the shop door. The door needed to be up another 6"

Comment

I try really really really really try hard to not be stupid. Now, don't get me wrong, I am by no means perfect, but I actually can't remember the last time I was really stupid, so I will need to ponder this question more before posting my stupidity.

Actually, it just dawned on me the last stupid thing I did. While riding the motorcycle cross country, I got so settled into the seat that when I pulled up to a stop sign, I forgot to put my feet down. Since I know how to properly pick them back up, it was only really embarrassing until the folks behind me stared in amazement at how easily I uprighted the 800#+ Kawasaki ZN1300.
              You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

• Big hammer
                Big hammer commented
                Editing a comment
                When I was driving daily, I could stop and not use my feet on purpose! I had a kid rearend me in my truck, had to finally give up riding :-(

Ever answered the REMOTE & no one's there????
              Dad Hellohello

Comment

• Rowdy
                Rowdy commented
                Editing a comment
                Only after a case of Miller. Next day a case of can't hold my head up. Rod

• Big hammer
                Big hammer commented
                Editing a comment
                No! But used the phone to try and change channels :-)

Had to think hard( there I go again)
              Adjusted steering gear box making it right. When for a test ride, and thinking why is the idle off, why is it running bad? Limped home and someone forgot to tighten up the column clamp ( dummy me)
              Practice practice practice :-)

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Mitch
                Starting a car from long term storage
                by Mitch
                I'll start by saying do not attempt to run the motor on the fuel supply from the tank. Pumping debris or old crap gas into the carburetor is never a good thing. This can cause your valves and rings to stick. It will also mess up a good working carburetor.
                Hang an auxiliary fuel supply with fresh gas gravity fed directly to the carburetor....
                04-10-2018, 09:37 AM
              • Tom Wesenberg
                Long Term Storage or a New to Me Model A
                by Tom Wesenberg
                This is what I would do if you just got a Model A, or want to start one after many years of storage.

If you have liquid gas in the tank, then I would drain it out and put in fresh gas. If the gas has evaporated and left dry residue behind, then I'd blow out all you can with a long blow gun and air compressor. Then flush out the rest by using some fresh gas and draining it through...
                07-15-2017, 12:16 AM
              • KB9JLO
                Starting an older engine - oil in the dipper tray...
                by KB9JLO
                As a few of you know - I have a 1930 Town Sedan, Murphy Body (March 1930). And she's a little rough. My wife has already named her Millie. The engine hasn't run in some time and I want to attempt to get it started and see what all is wrong and needs to be fixed in the drivetrain. If I don't have to I don't want to drop the oil pan or remove the valve cover to see if I can get this started. The engine...
                10-01-2018, 12:28 PM
              • Jeff/Illinois
                Sorry for bringing this up..............
                by Jeff/Illinois
                .........did a search and didn't really find what I was after, but is 5w -whatever- oil too thin for a Model A Ford? I know a lot of guys run 15w-40 Delco I get it, but would 5w30 be a bit too thin? Does that create low oil pressure issues? Reason I'm asking is I can get 5 qt. jugs of 5w30 Motorcraft on sale kinda cheap this week. Semi-synthetic. I realize the 'winter' lower number is for quicker...
                11-02-2018, 12:12 PM
              • BNCHIEF
                Oil and the changes manufacturers are doing per the epa.
                by BNCHIEF
                This is not to say anything bad about any oil or brand just some info to consider.http://www.restore-an-old-car.com/be...ssic-cars.html They are taking all the zddp out of the oil we run. Right now I have delo 400LE, being discontinued, I also have shell rotella T-4 both are 15/40 these still have the zddp in the higher concentration. You can also buy zddp https://www.thoughtco.com/...
                09-07-2017, 07:41 AM
              • Big hammer
                New oil container
                by Big hammer
                Bought oil from Walmart, picked up the wrong weight, took it back to get the right weight. No problem but the young lady said the cap is leaking, she opened it and what was inside was OLD DRAIN OIL !
                They made it right but I felt like a heel/crook
                So after paying for oil, in fronf of the clerk, I'm going to open the container and check for new clean oil this point forward!
                09-18-2017, 09:46 PM
              • Mitch
                Marvel Mystery Oil, MMO
                by Mitch
                We have not had a good informative MMO thread yet on the VFF. Discussing all the positives, any negatives or even the smell may help others.

One benefit is MMO helps lubricate the valve guides / stems when its mixed with the fuel. Personally ( many use it) i am not a proponent of adding it to the oil, i don't like thinning out the viscosity. If i ever did need to try and free up a stuck...
                01-05-2018, 09:42 AM
              • Standing Elk
                Not the normal oil question
                by Standing Elk
                Let's see if I can remember enough of what I was told to ask this question. Apparently the EPA mandated the removal or maybe the addition of some component to motor oil?? I was told that the new formula now carries an additional code and that it should NOT be used in our motors. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks
                03-03-2018, 11:16 AM
              • Mitch
                Marvel Mystery Oil, MMO
                by Mitch
                Original Thread
                https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...ystery-oil-mmo

We have not had a good informative MMO thread yet on the VFF. Discussing all the positives, any negatives or even the smell may help others.

One benefit is MMO helps lubricate the valve guides / stems when its mixed with the fuel. Personally ( many use it) i am...
                01-05-2018, 09:42 AM
              • BNCHIEF
                Synthetic Oil Information and the changes manufacturers are doing per the EPA
                by BNCHIEF
                This is not to say anything bad about any oil or brand just some info to consider.http://www.restore-an-old-car.com/be...ssic-cars.html They are taking all the zddp out of the oil we run. Right now I have delo 400LE, being discontinued, I also have shell rotella T-4 both are 15/40 these still have the zddp in the higher concentration. You can also buy zddp https://www.thoughtco.com/debunking-...-...
                09-07-2017, 07:41 AM
              Working...
              X