Front axle spring restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front axle spring restoration

I have a question on restoring an original front spring. The spring is a standard 10 leaf spring. I have sandblasted the individual leaves. The question is: Should I epoxy prime the individual leaves before assembling them. I plan to use John Deere Slip Plate between the leaves to provide a lubricant. Any helpful comments would be appreciated on whether the leaves should be painted or just assemble them with Slip Plate only, then paint the assembled spring.
    Thanks
    Rusty Nelson

Some different methods ; I just did a (new) spring by grinding down the leaf end edges that rest on the next lower leaf and used graphite lube spray (couple of cans) on both sides except the top and bottom outer leaf faces. Some people like to mix graphite with grease or heavy oil. Then prime and paint after assembly. The original spring may have some gouges in the leaves which can be smoothed out as necessary. If the spring isn't true from the ground by measuring at different points, you may consider rotating the leaves to correct any sag.
    Last edited by plyfor; 06-21-2019, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Some more related info

https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...af-spring-lube
      3 ~ Tudor's
      Henry Ford said
      "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

I prepped two fronts and a rear spring for install last year. I had each “gently” sandblasted then used a generic Napa brand degreaser. For the primer, two coats and a week to dry, then two top coats and a month to cure (only because I procrastinate - a lot)! Im never in a hurry these days. I really like John Deere’s Slip Plate and use it liberally - like a couple heavy coats and my usual long cure time. The difference in the ride will put a smile on you. It also helps to have good working adjusted shocks.

We are blessed to have miles of stunning countryside to navigate to warm up the car prior to hitting the donut and coffee house. Most of the roads have some issues or are in serious need of some repair so my springs and shocks endure a good workout and make the drives enjoyable.

Have fun with your A - and importantly - drive it!

Comment

I am not familiar with slip plate but I assume it is a greasy sort of product. If that is so, I wouldn't use it. Dirt, grime and dust will be attracted to it and stick to it. It will then end up between the leaves and you don't want that. I prime the leaves with el cheapo primer after I mix some graphite powder through it. The primer holds the lubricant in there and crap won't stick.

Comment

John Deere Slip Plate is a graphite based liquid that you paint on. It dries like paint - not sticky or greasy after it is dry. It allows parts to "slide" easier.
            Rusty Nelson

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Steve Plucker
              Marco's FRONT Spring Chart
              by Steve Plucker
              Marco Tahtaras did an excelent REAR Spring Chart showing just where the different individual springs went in a assembled REAR spring.

That being the case ...did he ever do one for the FRONT Spring Assembly?

I say this because I have several disassembled front springs and I do not know just where some of the leaves would go because they are of different lengths and thicknesses....
              01-20-2019, 04:08 PM
            • Steve Plucker
              Front and Rear Spring Restoration
              by Steve Plucker
              What is the best way to restore the leaf springs?

Electrolisis...Sand blast...wire wheel...all the above ...none of the above...

Followed by painting each leaf or not?...or use graphite grease...

Assemble....

What have you done in your restoration to have a good looking front and rear spring?

Thanks.

Pluck
              01-19-2019, 12:20 AM
            • Tudor31
              Front Spring
              by Tudor31
              This is a Tudor 1931 with a ten leaf front spring. In the last five years I have done a lot of work to get it in good shape. The attention has now turned to the springs and especially the front spring. I have a feeling that the spring is worn down, but I can't figure out if that is the case. The distance between the spring ends and the axle is about a quarter inch and the distance between the clip...
              10-16-2020, 07:52 PM
            • plyfor
              Leaf Spring Lube ?
              by plyfor
              I've read that some of the leaf springs are now made with new types steel that are not compatible with oil and grease. Older manuals say to lube , etc. Wonder if spray graphite falls in to this category which we currently use on a lot of classics. Going to install a new rear A spring and curious if others have heard this.
              08-06-2018, 09:09 AM
            • knuckl
              Rear spring with reversed eyes.
              by knuckl
              My reversed eye front spring went in easily. I can see that the rear needs to be spread. Of course a spring spreader won't work with it. I was going to use the K. R. Wilson spreader but I have been warned that it is a very dangerous tool. It was also suggested to dismantle the spring. Bolt in the main leaf by itself as it would be easy to spread by hand. Then reassemble the spring. What do you th...
              11-30-2020, 08:11 PM
            • Ray Sullivent
              Rusty Front Springs
              by Ray Sullivent
              How & what product to remove rust and lubricant front springs on 31,Model A ?
              02-11-2021, 10:31 PM
            • 1930 Closed Cab PU
              Spring Identification
              by 1930 Closed Cab PU
              Is there a way to tell how many leaves are in my spring while it is in my Truck?

Visibly I see only 6 leaves....
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 1 photos.
              09-29-2020, 07:53 AM
            • Tom Wesenberg
              Spring Lubrication, Mystik Grease, Graphite, and Covers
              by Tom Wesenberg
              This has worked well for me. I've done a few for customers. Round the bottoms of the ends of each spring leaf. Grind the edge of any worn pockets on the tops of each spring leaf. Sandblast and powdercoat the springs, then coat them with Mystik JT-6 High Temp grease, sprinkle on graphite, and wrap them with spring covers. I can't imagine they will ever see a speck of rust in my lifetime, and they have...
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 3 photos.
              07-18-2017, 07:16 AM
            • Jim Mason
              d j, how is the spring..
              by Jim Mason
              Progressing?
              05-09-2019, 03:33 PM
            • canadian
              rear spring
              by canadian
              If a person were to remove a spring or two from rear suspension, what idea did you use for a spacer to take up space in crossmember ?...
              02-26-2021, 04:52 AM
            Working...
            X