Original style shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original style shocks

This subject has been beaten to death on the other Ford forum. All good opinions and facts. Now I am looking at shocks from a different angle. There is the very well known rebuilder and several lessor known rebuilders. The big three suppliers sell shocks that look to be identical for about the same price. So my question is go with rebuilt or new. The price is about the same. Now what is the recomendation for a supplier.

I had a set of Houdaille Shocks made by Bill Stipe put on Sarah just this past winter, had one rebuilt original go south, replaced all four. Good investment...IMO.
    "Bullshit and Brilliance Comes with Age and Experience"

Comment

Some of the new suppliers shocks have sealed reservoirs, no oil can be added...I believe Brattons is that way. 1 year warranty

snyders description does not seem to definitively say, maybe call and ask

stipes are serviceable
      stipe started making his before snyders and Brattons started theirs ...
      Before that just going the rebuilt route was the only viable option..

i think the consensus is to go with the stipes
      3 ~ Tudor's
      Henry Ford said
      "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post
        Some of the new suppliers shocks have sealed reservoirs, no oil can be added...I believe Brattons is that way. 1 year warranty

snyders description does not seem to defintevly say, maybe call and ask

stipes are serviceable
        stipe started making his before snyders and Brattons started theirs ...
        Before that just going the rebuilt route was the only viable option..

i think the consensus is to go with the stipes

That's where I got mine, Brattons, sealed, one year warranty.

Comment

• Mitch
          Mitch commented
          Editing a comment
          thought you got your's from stipes?

Stipes.

Comment

Not directly from Stipes, Brattons:

https://www.brattons.com/square-valv...one-links.html

Comment

the shocks you linked are sealed... those are not stipe shocks
            3 ~ Tudor's
            Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post
              the shocks you linked are sealed... those are not stipe shocks
              Hey, I'm 93 going on 96, the mind is sometimes preoccupied...................I did get shocks, they are sealed and I gets dem from Brattons....Mon!!! that's good for me to remember at my age!!!! I wanted sealed shock, one less ting I have to remember to fill!!!! :o

Comment

• Mitch
                Mitch commented
                Editing a comment
                10-4

The majority seem to agree on Bill Stipe for shocks. I got an e-mail this morning and yes they are in stock.

Comment

Originally posted by Apple Green Wheels Rule View Post

Hey, I'm 93 going on 96, the mind is sometimes preoccupied...................I did get shocks, they are sealed and I gets dem from Brattons....Mon!!! that's good for me to remember at my age!!!! I wanted sealed shock, one less ting I have to remember to fill!!!! :o
                Mitch commented
                Yesterday, 07:32 PM

Editing a comment
                10-4

Just a senior moment, getting worse since turning 100!!!..........

Comment

Originally posted by Captndan View Post
                  The majority seem to agree on Bill Stipe for shocks. I got an e-mail this morning and yes they are in stock.
                  How much are they now? I know he was out of stock sometime back or he had stopped making them. I can't remember.

Comment

they might be a little more than the vendors but well worth the difference when your forking out that kind of cash

3 ~ Tudor's
                    Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

An original set or stipe... I installed a set of 4 stipe shocks (my car had no shocks at all). They work very well, your car will drive, steer, and handle like never before.

Comment

Originally posted by mshmodela View Post
                        An original set or stipe... I installed a set of 4 stipe shocks (my car had no shocks at all). They work very well, your car will drive, steer, and handle like never before.
                        This is what I want for my car. I ordered a set of Stipe shocks yesterday.

Comment

All I can, and will say is that a few years ago I bought two of the then available repro shocks with the sealed outer chamber ( no oil). I had them the on the front. After checking a few weeks ago, one was completely slack..no resistance at all, and the other had its main shaft sheared off so it came out in two pieces. Junk. Less than 1000 miles.
                          The rears were original rebuilt from Ron Paul or John Holland ( don't remember) and were still fine. I bought a complete set of Stipes and they are works of art. I will never have to buy anymore. The ole Ford rides like a Lincoln now!
                          Brian W.

Comment

I had a set of M&S Houdaille-imitation shocks from Snyders a few years ago. 2 of the bodies burst and split in half. The oil in the other two burst out. All on our first long trip.
                            Snyders credited the full amount against a new Bill Stipe set. We bought another set for my wifes Tudor. Have done 18000 miles on the first set. They work beautifully.
                            SAJ in NZ

SAJ in NZ

Comment

Originally posted by SAJ View Post
                              I had a set of M&S Houdaille-imitation shocks from Snyders a few years ago. 2 of the bodies burst and split in half. The oil in the other two burst out. All on our first long trip.
                              Snyders credited the full amount against a new Bill Stipe set. We bought another set for my wifes Tudor. Have done 18000 miles on the first set. They work beautifully.
                              SAJ in NZ
                              just so everyone understands,, snyders used to sell bill stipes shocks but now they have their own thing going..

3 ~ Tudor's
                              Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment