Timing Light - Odd questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing Light - Odd questions...

So I have been reading the threads on setting timing. I am running a 6V Positive ground system, with an original distributor. Usually don't have any issue timing the car, but am interested in seeing if I can get it just a scooch better with a timing light. I have a timing light with an advance knob on the back, that works great on my 12V Jeep, but will this light work on a 6 Volt system.

If not, could I hook it up to a 12V battery? I assume the timing light get's no information from the battery, just powers the light.

I assume the inductive pick up won't work on the flat connector. I have a Distributor Cap I can use to get a wire type connection from the distributor to the spark plugs, so that won't be an issue.
    Jon.

It's never as bad as you think, nor as good as you hope.

Correct power it with a 12v battery. You can use it with the original style wires but you'll need to slice open a piece of heat shrink or such for the pick up. Of course the wired type cap will also work
    3~ Tudor's & 1~ Coupe
    Henry Ford said,
    "It's all nuts and bolts"
    "Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible."

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Use a separate 12V battery to power the light
      yes you can use the inductive pickup with the strap connectors, we do it all the time.
      Always be sure your all 3 of your light leads are hooked up BEFORE you start the engine else you can blow the light, and don't remove them until engine is off

guess who types faster!
      Last edited by tbirdtbird; 05-28-2019, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tbirdtbird View Post
        ...guess who types faster!
        Mitch by 2 minutes.

Thanks guys.....

Jon.

It's never as bad as you think, nor as good as you hope.

Comment

Well I don't know about faster. I am a one fingered keyboard pecker
          3~ Tudor's & 1~ Coupe
          Henry Ford said,
          "It's all nuts and bolts"
          "Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible."

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

I have a bunch of old timing lights.Sears,Penske,Snap-On,Sun,Allen-Tune,Mac,Cornwell,We were fooling around with them one day and found all of them worked on the A.a couple of them were fussier about the induction pickup though.I think a sliced up straw helped with that.A couple of them don't have the induction pickup,they have a little spring affair that pushes onto the spark plug and the plug wire pushes onto that.

Comment

The inductive pickup wouldn't work on my scope until I slipped a piece of clear tubing over the flat strap.
              I haven't tried my inductive timing light with advance, but I assume it may also need the clear tubing.

Comment

we have not needed to do that

it may depend on the brand of scope

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
                  The inductive pickup wouldn't work on my scope until I slipped a piece of clear tubing over the flat strap.
                  I haven't tried my inductive timing light with advance, but I assume it may also need the clear tubing.
                  yes, I put a piece of small tubing over my strap...

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Mitch
                    Timing lights 101
                    by Mitch
                    I received a PM regarding the use of those Timing indicators that bolt onto the front cover. Are they needed? NO...

Find TDC with the timing pin...
                    Put a dot on the crank pulley and a dot on the front cover so that it is even with the dot on the crank pulley. The location of the dots on the pulley does not matter, just as long as they are directly across from each other.
                    Use...
                    09-07-2017, 09:18 PM
                  • Tom Wesenberg
                    Spark Timing, Set It and Forget It, Timing info, Timing lights 101
                    by Tom Wesenberg
                    Spark Timing, Set It and Forget It,

There are at least a couple ways to set the timing. You first must set the point gap, and I always set mine to .020" with the points setting on the highest part of the cam lobe. This remains the same whether you use the "A" cam or "B" cam. After the points gap is set, you can then push the spark lever all the way up,...
                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 2 photos.
                    05-16-2017, 03:34 PM
                  • sphanna
                    Question about pop-out ignition
                    by sphanna
                    I have a restored original early 30 pop-out ignition switch. Car runs very well, I just returned from a 500 mile trip and decided to check my point gap .020 (original) and then timing. The way I did it was to set TDC #1 with pin in timing dimple as usual. Now I used a test light to check continuity. I put the pop-out in the run (out /on position) with no power on the ignition circuit (master electric...
                    09-29-2017, 06:05 PM
                  • Pg999
                    Tach light power hook up question.
                    by Pg999
                    Where would one fasten the power for a tachometer light.
                    I would like the light in the tach to come on when I turn the lights on. But do not have a clue as to where to tap in. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

PG
                    03-15-2020, 06:31 PM
                  • Afordman31
                    1931 Model A tail light!
                    by Afordman31
                    At the Gilmore Car Museum in their display case they have a tail light that is either plugged into 110 voltage or maybe battery powered. It is a slow blinking light. I thought it would be cool to have one but would like it to be battery powered so I could move it around. Anyone have ideas what to use to make it battery powered?...
                    03-17-2018, 11:27 AM
                  • Beauford
                    Parking light
                    by Beauford
                    Noticed my parking light in my two bulb buckets wont light on pass side. Switched bulbs and still nothing. Checked yellow green red and they are correct. Clipped test light to socket and ground and nothing. Any suggestions? My LEDs headlights work fine so there is power there.
                    02-21-2019, 07:05 PM
                  • Tom Wesenberg
                    Spark Timing, Set It and Forget It
                    by Tom Wesenberg
                    There are at least a couple ways to set the timing. You first must set the point gap, and I always set mine to .020" with the points setting on the highest part of the cam lobe. This remains the same whether you use the "A" cam or "B" cam. After the points gap is set, you can then push the spark lever all the way up, which is where it should always be when starting the engine....
                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 2 photos.
                    05-16-2017, 03:34 PM
                  Working...
                  X