Starter Drive Without Beveled Teeth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter Drive Without Beveled Teeth

I just saw this drive on ebay, but noticed it doesn't have a bevel on the engagement end of the teeth. The bevel is to help make a smooth engagement, so that's the only style I'd buy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/263136941964?ul_noapp=true

Yikes!

Comment

• George Miller
      George Miller commented
      Editing a comment
      Junk
      Last edited by George Miller; 08-30-2017, 02:34 PM. Reason: I wish I could spell.

Self beveling. After a while.

Comment

• tbirdtbird
      tbirdtbird commented
      Editing a comment
      yep, and imagine what ur ring gear will look like then!

• Mitch
      Mitch commented
      Editing a comment
      Load the teeth up with mystic grease!

"Maybe" their BEVELER BROKE?
    Dad Guessing?

Comment

"ACCIDENTALLY", I put an M.G. ring gear on backwards, rubbed the teeth with wheel bearing grease & it worked FINE!
      Dad Lucky

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• sideline
        Starter
        by sideline
        I may have missed it but I searched the archives and didn’t find the answer to my question. My car is a1929 still 6 volt with no plans to switch to 12 volt.

My starter is sticking and doesn’t seem to be disengaging from the flywheel. I’ve rocked the car back and forth and got it to pop loose a few times. I’m thinking it’s time to replace the starter drive. Also, when I swapped...
        09-27-2019, 11:08 AM
      • Tom Wesenberg
        Starter Drives and Springs, What to Look For
        by Tom Wesenberg
        Here is a good buy on some starter drives and springs, but none of them are for the Model A. These springs and drive helix all have RIGHT HAND turns, and the Model A needs LEFT HAND turns. If you can't remember while searching swap meets, just stop and think how the starter shaft has to turn to make the engine spin, and as the starter armature turns, it pulls the spring in such a way that the coils...
        04-30-2018, 10:08 AM
      • Jm29henry
        Starter seems to be hanging up ?
        by Jm29henry
        i have installed this starter on my car about four years ago last Saturday I went out for a drive she ran started an ran fantastic .Before returning home I decided to fill up with gas,when I started the starter started the car and then made a weird grinding noise I sounded to me like the starter spring did not fully return and was hanging up .When I got home I look at the starter rod was moving freely...
        08-18-2017, 07:36 PM
      • Tom Wesenberg
        1928 Starter on Ebay, but Beware
        by Tom Wesenberg
        Here is a link to a 1928 starter on ebay, but only the main body is 1928, with the pyramid contact for the starter switch. The armature shaft and drive are the later 5/8" style, and will not work with the multiplate flywheel. The bolts holding the spring will hit the flywheel. Also notice the drive was sprayed with silver paint, and the Bendix spring has rust pits. Anytime a spring has rust pits...
        11-06-2018, 10:46 AM
      • dmdeaton
        12 Volt Starter
        by dmdeaton
        What's everyone doing for a starter with 12 V? I see Snyder's sells a reduced gear new starter that is a little pricey. Have to install a electric switch to pull in the solenoid....
        11-20-2017, 07:29 PM
      • DUProf
        Starter Motor and Bendix
        by DUProf
        I have a heavily-used largely ‘29. Still a 6 volt system. One of the changes that occurred over years of use was change to a push-button start on the dash. Attaches through a solenoid on the firewall. Recently the starter motor stuck ‘on’ during a brief 2 block drive; only discovered as I turned off the engine. Fiddling with the switch caused the starter motor to stop running. On attempted restart...
        07-09-2019, 10:25 AM
      • Chuck Sea/Tac
        Starter interchange
        by Chuck Sea/Tac
        I evidently have an early starter that has the thin walled bushing on the long shaft. Can that armature be used with the later ends? It appears the id and length are the same, so why not?
        09-16-2018, 04:41 PM
      • ckain16
        Need starter help.
        by ckain16
        1931 with model B engine. starter has locked up in the flywheel. I cannot get it to release. Moved the vehicle forward and backward, wheels just slide. removed starter bolts, no help ? Any advice ?? thanks. [email protected]...
        09-05-2017, 06:34 PM
      • Tom Wesenberg
        Who Needs a 1/2" Starter Drive?
        by Tom Wesenberg
        Just found this ebay listing for a 1/2" drive. It's not cheap. but they are hard to find.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192452592504?ul_noapp=true
        02-11-2018, 03:12 PM
      • Tom Wesenberg
        Picture of 1928 Starter with Service Drive
        by Tom Wesenberg
        As many of you have read in the Service Bulletins, the "SERVICE DRIVE" replaced the troublesome Abell drive for 1928 Starters. For those who haven't seen a service drive, here is a picture of one. A couple weeks ago I bought some drives and springs on ebay, hoping that one of the springs would be correct for this drive. Unfortunately none were the correct spring. After the gathering at Brent's...
        05-12-2018, 06:28 PM
      Working...
      X